Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    erosenst is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Hoping for ideas (having people over version...) - update and thanks in first post

Update-
    Camp ended today - five kids and their parents came over. We did pizza, a Costco Quinoa salad, veggies, chips, fruit and cookies. We planned for 20 people so we overordered a bit but not terribly. Pizza was delivered within 3 minutes of when I requested delivery, and people showed up about 15 minutes later so I was able to keep it warm. I think maybe only three bags of chips are gone but they will keep for tailgates - so glad someone suggested invidual bags. The gluten free and vegan pizzas were both appreciated. It was HOT HOT HOT so I'm glad I didn't do anything where I worried about it spoiling quickly. A couple more kids came over later and picked at stuff too.

As always - really appreciate the input here!

---------------

DD will have been at camp for almost 10 weeks when we pick her up next Sunday. Because of COVID restrictions, parents won't be allowed out of cars and there won't be the usual 'hour or more to say hello and goodbye' time. Although the camp draws from 20+ states, it happens to be less than 15 minutes from us. I've told DD she can invite people over here after pickup. But:

* There are 34 kids in her group/program. All with one or two parents
    * Most are within 5 hours drive (at least of DD's good friends) so ... possible a LOT could be here for an hour or two
    * Realized today that there is almost no way I will have anything resembling a 'count' in advance
    * There are at least two vegans. Several vegetarians
    * Pickup starts at noon so guessing majority here no later than 1.

With that as background:

* At that time of day I think I need to plan to feed people, especially knowing they have a minimum of a two hour drive ahead.
    * If I had a decent count I think deli trays, heavy on cheese and veggies, with vegan bread, fresh veggies, chips, and cut up fruit and cookies would be fine
    * Knowing no decent count, I'm tempted to rely on pizza. Hoping that I'll know at least about 'close friends' on Saturday and can make a costco run then but that may be naive. About to check but pretty sure the good local place has vegan options.
    * Knowing almost all will have a drive, would you serve beer/spiked seltzer or no?

Good news is that we have a big backyard if the weather holds, with easy seating for 25. And the kids can sit on the grass/pool deck if needed - so I'm not totally worried about seating. We can have it and the house "company ready" in an easy hour. Good/Bad news is that two of DD's friends' parents are coming for drinks and apps Sat night and then we're going to dinner - so I can't do anything Sat night but will get the house/deck/yard ready Saturday afternoon. (Well - it's good news and we like them - but timing isn't great.) And did I mention that DH is having a torn meniscus repair on Thurs?

I don't want to overcomplicate this but really struggling to figure out how to plan for zero to 100....literally. (Ok - not totally true. I'd be pretty surprised if her new boyfriend and his parents, and several other close friends, don't come. But that's still 15-20...)

...and waiting for the fabulous solution that I haven't thought of!! Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by erosenst; 08-08-2021 at 05:33 PM.

I think the pizza idea is a great one. I would even consider having a friend outside of the party do the pizza run for you. Get a variety of pizzas, including cheese, for the vegetarians. I would order a big tray of veggies and fruit from somewhere to go with it. It could be something your family could eat after the party so even if you planned for the 100 (less because kids won’t eat a lot I’m sure) veggies can always be eaten later. If you’re at Costco, get a few dips like hummus. The vegans can have veggies and the dips for sure. You could also get a few vegan pizzas from the grocery store and prepare those at your home. Maybe not the best tasting, but a nice idea and fairly simple.

What about individual bags of chips from Costco? And if you wanted to do dessert, get ice cream bars.

For drinks, bottled water and canned pop would be the way to go. Just don’t open the cases until you need them and you could take them back to the store. I’d just fill cooler with ice and add the drinks. I think a cooler of beer and spiked seltzer’s would be appropriate. Same thing, don’t open them until you need them and return what’s not used.

Sounds fun! I hope it works out!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I wouldn’t do pizza as your main plan. I think it’s too much of a wildcard time wise. It also doesn’t hold as well as sandwiches would. Add a salad.

I wouldn’t do pizza as your main plan. I think it’s too much of a wildcard time wise. It also doesn’t hold as well as sandwiches would. Add a salad. Alcohol is fine. Adults can decide if they should have any (and they could easily have 2 drivers anyway).

This is a total not fancy idea but I would maybe just have some hot dogs as a backup to deli trays. You could freeze any hot dogs/buns that you don't use. Plus guys tend to gather around the grill and it's kind of an easy activity for a bunch of guys to do as they're getting to know each other. There are probably even vegan hot dogs you could pick up.

I love the idea of individual bags of chips and ice cream sandwiches as being a bit more covid friendly. Add some watermelon and some lemonade and it seems like an easy after camp meal - it kind of goes with the camp theme

Sent from my LML713DL using Tapatalk

firstbaby is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

What about BBQ sandwiches already individually wrapped? You could do cornbread served by the square and macaroni or potato salad portioned out into cups from the $ store. The potato salad could be a vegan / vegetarian option if you go with a vinegar dressing base instead of Mayo. The BBQ would freeze well in case your count is off.

I’ve been to a lot of grad parties and it’s pretty much set up like pre-covid spreads, even among my very covid conscious friends.
    I think after a summer together the kids will be fine with communal spreads. I would wager most adults are too since we know more how covid is spread (not through touching the same items). I think that adults that wouldn’t be comfortable sharing food also wouldn’t be comfortable at a party too so you’ll have natural self selection.

erosenst is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Thanks for all the ideas. Among other things the individual chips idea reminded me we can use some of the leftovers (chips and drinks at a minimum, probably cookies will freeze well too) for upcoming tailgates this fall.

I’m a little less Covid concerned than I might be. The kids are all vaccinated (I’m 100% sure of this) and have been totally secluded and tested multiple times. Knowing the kids are all vaxxed, and were as soon as avail for them, among other things, leads me to assume the parents are as well. While I know there are breakthroughs the risk is really really low with this group.

I am likely leaning toward deli trays. Agree pizza won’t keep well and some will likely want to eat right before they hit the road. Having said that the good local pizza place does have vegan crust and cheese so still an option if we end up with way more people than I planned and/or they stay later than I think. My SIL suggested the Costco quinoa salad which is vegan and will supplement the deli trays too.

Think I’m going to assume 50ish (half the kids and a parent and a half each?) and call about trays tomorrow. Keep the ideas coming through - it’s really helpful!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AnnieW625 is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat View Post
    I think the pizza idea is a great one. I would even consider having a friend outside of the party do the pizza run for you. Get a variety of pizzas, including cheese, for the vegetarians. I would order a big tray of veggies and fruit from somewhere to go with it. It could be something your family could eat after the party so even if you planned for the 100 (less because kids won’t eat a lot I’m sure) veggies can always be eaten later. If you’re at Costco, get a few dips like hummus. The vegans can have veggies and the dips for sure. You could also get a few vegan pizzas from the grocery store and prepare those at your home. Maybe not the best tasting, but a nice idea and fairly simple.

What about individual bags of chips from Costco? And if you wanted to do dessert, get ice cream bars.

For drinks, bottled water and canned pop would be the way to go. Just don’t open the cases until you need them and you could take them back to the store. I’d just fill cooler with ice and add the drinks. I think a cooler of beer and spiked seltzer’s would be appropriate. Same thing, don’t open them until you need them and return what’s not used.

Sounds fun! I hope it works out!

I agree with this 100%. Pizza is the easiest and you can easily send left overs home and or freeze them for yourself if you aren’t big on pizza for breakfast.

Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    I agree with this 100%. Pizza is the easiest and you can easily send left overs home and or freeze them for yourself if you aren’t big on pizza for breakfast.

I agree with River Rat and Annie. Pizza would be the easiest. It’s what I serve for some of our bigger summer pool parties. For sides/ snacks I have big bowls of grapes, slices of watermelon, chips and salsa.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast