bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Anyone else have psychiatric symptoms with B12 supplementation?

I thought it was the caffeine in my Zipfizz that was bothering me and making me really grouchy and anxious. I quit drinking it and have felt a lot better. But during my vacation I stated drinking (many) diet cokes during the day and never experienced any of the anxiety or grouchiness! The only other time I started taking B12 (DH was apparently deficient and a doctor had prescribed for him and I thought "why not" but in retrospect... its more like "why did I?") and I had similar feelings!

The term comes up in a google search but mostly as a symptom of B12 deficiency and I don't have any symptoms of that.

Just throwing this out there in case anyone has experienced this?

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

When I was in high school, my AP Biology teacher was talking about tips to stay calm during the AP test. She recommended vitamin B12/complex as it would help immunity and help with the test anxiety. This was before the internet (I'm old) so I took her word for it without doing any research. I'd taken multivitamins that had Vit B in them so I figured I'd be fine. I started taking it (well before the AP test,) and I remember feeling very anxious, shaky, and kinda dizzy. I stopped taking the vitamins and those feelings went away.
    Granted I am allergic to caffeine and have had to avoid other supplements and medications that mimic caffeine's effects.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

Quote Originally Posted by PunkyBoo View Post
    When I was in high school, my AP Biology teacher was talking about tips to stay calm during the AP test. She recommended vitamin B12/complex as it would help immunity and help with the test anxiety. This was before the internet (I'm old) so I took her word for it without doing any research. I'd taken multivitamins that had Vit B in them so I figured I'd be fine. I started taking it (well before the AP test,) and I remember feeling very anxious, shaky, and kinda dizzy. I stopped taking the vitamins and those feelings went away.
    Granted I am allergic to caffeine and have had to avoid other supplements and medications that mimic caffeine's effects.

Thanks for sharing! That's how I feel too...

Allergic to caffeine...what are your symptoms? It is weird because with the zipfizz I took it daily from about March 2020 to July2020 without much issue...but then I had headaches that just would not stop. Stopped the "caffeine" and the headaches went away. But strangely, other forms of caffeine (I don't drink coffee but everything from Diet Coke to Crystal Light) don't have the same effect, though I still only use it occasionally. I keep trying Zipfizz because I love the way it tastes, lol. I usually feel ok/good at first (maybe the caffeine buzz) and then I feel just awful. I have tried it several times and always come to the same conclusion. Gotta just throw it out!

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    Thanks for sharing! That's how I feel too...

Allergic to caffeine...what are your symptoms? It is weird because with the zipfizz I took it daily from about March 2020 to July2020 without much issue...but then I had headaches that just would not stop. Stopped the "caffeine" and the headaches went away. But strangely, other forms of caffeine (I don't drink coffee but everything from Diet Coke to Crystal Light) don't have the same effect, though I still only use it occasionally. I keep trying Zipfizz because I love the way it tastes, lol. I usually feel ok/good at first (maybe the caffeine buzz) and then I feel just awful. I have tried it several times and always come to the same conclusion. Gotta just throw it out!
    Re: my caffeine allergy- if I get about as much caffeine as 1/4 cup of regular coffee, I get blotchy red all over my neck and chest, I get very dizzy, I feel like I'm riding on a boat in choppy water, and I black out. I wake up with a hangover worse than any alcohol hangovers I ever got (horrible headache, light sensitivity, nausea, lack of appetite). Decaf coffee still has caffeine in it so I don't drink any at all (or caffeinated sodas, or any tea that isn't strictly herbal, not even green tea).
    Over the years the allergy has become much more sensitive. I used to be able to eat chocolate, but after having DS2 I can't. If I eat as much caffeine as in a chocolate chip cookie, I get the blotchy redness, usually cystic acne flare-up, and anxious insomnia.

Re: my caffeine allergy- if I get about as much caffeine as 1/4 cup of regular coffee, I get blotchy red all over my neck and chest, I get very dizzy, I feel like I'm riding on a boat in choppy water, and I black out. I wake up with a hangover worse than any alcohol hangovers I ever got (horrible headache, light sensitivity, nausea, lack of appetite). Decaf coffee still has caffeine in it so I don't drink any at all (or caffeinated sodas, or any tea that isn't strictly herbal, not even green tea).
    Over the years the allergy has become much more sensitive. I used to be able to eat chocolate, but after having DS2 I can't. If I eat as much caffeine as in a chocolate chip cookie, I get the blotchy redness, usually cystic acne flare-up, and anxious insomnia.

Oh wow. No chocolate. That sounds like no fun at all. Thank you for sharing! It honestly sounds like what my mom has been going through in the past few years. Now I'm curious if it could be the caffeine component in the chocolate!

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    Oh wow. No chocolate. That sounds like no fun at all. Thank you for sharing! It honestly sounds like what my mom has been going through in the past few years. Now I'm curious if it could be the caffeine component in the chocolate!
    Lol, in the beginning it sucked to give up chocolate. Especially because my DH loves it so we always had some around. But after a year or so of giving it up, I took a tiny bite and it just didn't even taste good, so that made it easy!! Unfortunately my MIL makes amazing mole and I can't eat it because it has cocoa in it

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Anyone else have psychiatric symptoms with B12 supplementation?

I am semi allergic to caffeine. Coffee is the worst for me so I only drink decaf on a regular basis. Occasionally I will have a cup of regular coffee and I am okay but then there are times where I know I haven’t gotten enough sleep and I have coffee and I end up with the worst jitters (I almost feel like I am drunk). I can have two caffeinated sodas and then I get jitters from them. Iced tea or brewed tea (both black tea or Earl Grey) doesn’t affect me like coffee or soda does but I don’t drink it after 6 pm or I will be up all night. I have recently discovered that I also get headaches from too much sugar as well at night so I have been really trying to be good about it but now I might have to see if not having chocolate at night effects it as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 08-04-2021 at 07:51 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I have MTHFR genetic mutation which is SUPER common. One of the issues is that your body doesn’t process B vitamins (can’t remember if it’s methylated or the opposite…) so I often feel this way if I take the wrong kind of B vitamin. It also means you are likely to need it since your body doesn’t process it well. The MTHFR thing is kind of a black hole of research. If you have it you likely have issues detoxing as well which has been a struggle for me especially with heavy metals.

Quote Originally Posted by Melaine View Post
    I have MTHFR genetic mutation which is SUPER common. One of the issues is that your body doesn’t process B vitamins (can’t remember if it’s methylated or the opposite…) so I often feel this way if I take the wrong kind of B vitamin. It also means you are likely to need it since your body doesn’t process it well. The MTHFR thing is kind of a black hole of research. If you have it you likely have issues detoxing as well which has been a struggle for me especially with heavy metals.
    Interesting! I remember reading all about this when DS1 was very young. It IS a maze!

One thing I need to remember before deciding to supplement is that for me my health is usually very strong and my mood is very good. It is only when I do stuff or add stuff that I feel out of whack. The B12 bothers me, BCP bother me, etc. If I leave well enough alone I usually feel amazing. I do take a daily vitamin that has B vitamins in it and it doesn't seem to bother me. I'll go check out its B12 content just out of curiosity!

Lol, in the beginning it sucked to give up chocolate. Especially because my DH loves it so we always had some around. But after a year or so of giving it up, I took a tiny bite and it just didn't even taste good, so that made it easy!! Unfortunately my MIL makes amazing mole and I can't eat it because it has cocoa in it

That's what my mom says too! It actually revolts her now.