Default Elementary online school recs

Any recommendations for elementary age online schools? Public or private.

Things are starting to get really rough around us covid-wise, and while I swore we wouldn’t do any schooling at home this year, it looks like I might just have to change my mind.

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We did Connections Academy with my 2nd and 6th grader last year and I was very impressed. We loved it. My younger one is staying online but we switched to the other Connections Academy in our state (there are two) because the one we were with last year changed the ELA curriculum for 3rd grade, and I was really impressed with the curriculum he used last year. Not to mention the curriculum matches our public school which is helpful for when/if he goes back.

Thanks. Yes, Connections Academy is our top pick right now. However, they are at full capacity as of yesterday and so we are being waitlisted.

Quote Originally Posted by elizamom View Post
    Thanks. Yes, Connections Academy is our top pick right now. However, they are at full capacity as of yesterday and so we are being waitlisted.
    What state are you in?

My state has lots of virtual schools at the different cities. We belong to one in that we had to do school choice to get into. But our town has one too. There are a lot of them in our state. Do any of the cities around you have that?

I hope you get off the waitlist.

If you want to do something that isn't a full school there are lots of places to pick that offer some classes

khan academy
    time4learning
    outschool
    well trained mind academy
    memoria press academy

this is just a tip of the iceberg there are so many

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by elizamom View Post
    Don't give up yet. We were waitlisted last year and did end up getting accepted. Is K12 an option in your state? Ours is called Ohio Virtual Academy. They may be another option if that's available. I'm not sure if they're in every state.

ang79 is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I’m in PA and last year I just Googled PA public cyber charter schools when I was looking and a bunch came up. K12 and Connections Academy are two of the more popular ones. If you are finding waitlists at the public schools, I work for Bridgeway Academy, which is a fully accredited homeschool academy but we also offer live classes for students in 2nd grade and up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All of our virtual public school options are full, with very long waitlists. So, yes, we might end up in a private option. I did not see this coming! I wish I would have thought ahead a bit and reserved spots for my kiddos at a couple of places so we had options.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I can’t speak to their other courses but we have been taking French courses through Sterling Academy online for the past 5 years. They are accredited and pricey but we like their teachers and staff. Occasionally their software has glitches but they seem to resolve them quickly. I just signed up my younger 2 for Sterling’s middle school French classes.

Also, my high schooler took physics last year from Nebraska University online High School. They were highly recommended by friends who are teachers. It’s worth looking into whether NU offers elementary courses. Ds said their physics course was rigorous.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Could you homeschool for the year?