smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Germany focused trip

Well. We’ve settled on taking my parents to Germany July 2022. We scratched the river cruise due to Covid uncertainty and are focused on a land based trip.

So….hit me with favorites!

My dad gave me his list
    Frankfurt
    Heidelburg
    Strasbourg France
    Augsburg
    Munich
    Zurich

10-14 days

With of course the open mind in case we go off the Covid rails again.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by smilequeen View Post
    Well. We’ve settled on taking my parents to Germany July 2022. We scratched the river cruise due to Covid uncertainty and are focused on a land based trip.

So….hit me with favorites!

My dad gave me his list
    Frankfurt
    Heidelburg
    Strasbourg France
    Augsburg
    Munich
    Zurich

10-14 days

With of course the open mind in case we go off the Covid rails again.
    I enjoyed Cologne… similar to Heidelburg. I have traveled through Frankfurt many times but have not really explored there. I would pick Berlin over Frankfurt as I feel Frankfurt and Munich are similar.

But, if this trip is for your parents and those are the places your Dad wants to go then I would probably just stick to his list.

There is a castles DIY tour in Cologne/Heidelberg area you can Google.

I would plot out a one way drive then take train back to departure location unless the one way fee is too expensive.

We were in Strasbourg in 2019. It was a neat area and we really enjoyed it. The history is interesting of course as it's been passed between France and Germany over the years. IIRC, we spent 3 nights. A few activities we did were:
    Boat tour of the city
    Cathedral and the Astrological clock
    The EU Parliament Headquarters
    Car Museum in Mulhouse, especially if your boys are interested in the history of cars. We were doing a "road trip" so easy to travel around in our rental car. We stopped in Colmar and Neuf-Brisach on the way back from Mulhouse.
    We spent time walking the city along the water and exploring neighborhoods. We stayed right next to the EU headquarters so it was fun to see that activity. Of course it was pre Covid. We were traveling through France, minus 2 nights in Luxembourg City so I can't give you more info.

I haven't been to the other German cities you've listed for 10 years and never Zurich. I do know that DH and I enjoyed Berlin and the it's more recent history (WWII) when we were there. We rented a car for that trip too and drove from Berlin to Bavaria, stopping at anything that looked interesting. Neuschanstein Castle is a good day trip from Munich.

Hope you all are able to have a great trip. Germany is amazing!
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl