baymom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Need ideas on what to do between jobs

I’m lucky enough to have about three weeks off between my last day at my current job and the start day of my next job. I’m using some of that time to go on a girls weekend with my bff and visiting my parents. I plan to take care of some projects around the house, too.

But, a big priority for me is to take some time to read/watch videos/ect to inspire/teach me more about better organizational techniques, managing my inbox better, improving my communication skills, fighting imposture syndrome, networking tips, ect. as I go into this new job. I’m excited to have a fresh start at organization, at putting my best foot forward and even sort of reinventing myself a bit.

Can anyone suggest books or other resources I should look into? I’ve been at my current company for 7 years, so feeling both excited and nervous about a new start. Any advice for me, in general? Thank you!

erosenst is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Not totally helpful but maybe? The organization system that works best is one that works for YOU and that YOU will maintain.

Inbox Zero works for a lot of people. Having a “to do” folder in your email works for some. Neither work for me - but I am better than some at just getting the quick ones taken care of and not needing to file. If it’s a paper heavy environment think of a filing system that might work for you - everything alphabetized in a drawer or some need to be in view?

I’d probably dedicate a couple hours to surf organization methods (and another for other big items on the list) and see what resonates. Not in the “wow it would be cool if I could do that - but it’s not me” (see: bullet journals in my case) but in the ohhh that makes sense and I can totally do that. Then spend another hour or two in that rabbit hole and see where you land/try it out.

Good luck and enjoy the time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Do you have time before the break to find a coach? Maybe a professional coach could provide time/webinars/workshops/resources to help you.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Get your wardrobe set, take some time to have a facial, other self care tasks. Enjoy a day away on your own somewhere calming. It will fly by!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Maybe focus on yourself a bit? New skincare, new makeup, new haircut? New clothes or shoes?

Clean/organize purse and/or briefcase, get rid of old work files, purge what you can.

DH made a new address book just for people at the new job.

Get any needed medical/dental appts done so you don't have to worry about taking time off new job.

Enjoy your new start!

baymom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Thanks everyone! Appreciate all the great suggestions. I hadn’t thought of hiring a career coach, but will look into it. Definitely also planning a wardrobe refresh and self care. Feels so decadent to have this much time off!

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I would say relax and enjoy every minute of the time off!
    K

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'd say, you got the job, celebrate, relax, don't worry about a coach, just see what the new job brings you! Congrats!!!!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk