Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default tweens and wallets?

now that i have one kid in middle school , i'm starting to think more about having them get used to idea of carrying their own wallets/money.

at their schools all meals are all free (and DS uses his ID on a lanyard for that) so they don't usually have need to carry money on daily basis. but i want them to get used to carrying a wallet, using their own money, making decisions etc. mostly when we go out on weekends or evenings at first, and then maybe DS can start carrying it at school.

i'd love to hear about what has worked well with your tweens, especially boys in middle school. With boys it is tricky though bc they don't have purses. So i am thinking best thing to get DS a slim wallet he can carry in his pocket. I got DS a very slim wallet from Target to carry a couple cards and few bills. He already has an iPhone mini so i didn't want him having to schlep around a ton of things.

https://www.target.com/p/men-s-id-ho...06#lnk=sametab

With DD i still need to get her a small wallet.. hard to find anything that isn't super babyish or huge (for an adult).

i gave each of DC's their own debit card that has $100 on it to start. They can't just use it for anything, and we have to approve it. I'm hoping this leads to them at least getting used to paying for things on their own, and seeing how much money they have, making decisions, etc.

Any tips, suggestions appreciated!

My DD has a Vera Bradley lanyard ID wallet. It works great for what she needs now. Truly holds an ID and some cash.

My 17 YO went to a slim wallet when he was driving on his own. Before that and what my 14 YO DS uses now is a phone case with an ID slot in the case.

My 15 yo DS uses a card holder that is attached to his phone with adhesive. I ordered them on amazon. Nothing fancy but he's not prone to losing something attached to his phone.

DS12 hasn't started regularly carrying money yet other than the $20 he keeps tucked in his phone case. He does have a wallet that's made by Nike to keep his spending money.

DD10 got a new wallet for her birthday from my mom. It's a grown up wallet that's hard to carry on it's own but since she doesn't need daily money yet, it's okay for now. I bought this wristlet for myself a few weeks ago for times I don't want to carry my big bag and love it. I'm going to buy one for DD for Christmas. It seems perfect for a tween/teen. https://www.nordstrom.com/s/tory-bur...ases&color=349
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

mom2binsd is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Any boy I know has a phone and they just put money or a card in the case or on some type of thing on the back of their phone (DS is 15, he hangs out with a pack of other boys, they all do the same thing, no wallets, I asked once if DS wanted one and he told me nope.

Based on a thread similar to this last year, we bought my DS this wallet that was recommended. It's been perfect since he started driving. He has to have his car keys with him anyway. It has plenty of room for his license, bank card and some cash. he likes that it has two compartments so he can keep his cards separate from his cash. The sticky wallets on the back of his phone didn't work for him. He also tried putting it in his phone case, but that was awkward. All that to say I wish I had known about these wallets when he was in middle school. We went through lots of wallet styles along the way and this would have worked from the beginning and transitioned when he started driving.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Barb

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    Any boy I know has a phone and they just put money or a card in the case or on some type of thing on the back of their phone (DS is 15, he hangs out with a pack of other boys, they all do the same thing, no wallets, I asked once if DS wanted one and he told me nope.
    This is what most of my college students do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

It's definitely a trial and error thing to find the preferred style for them. TJ Maxx type places are a good source for wallets at a really good price. Don't invest much more until you figure out what type he likes. Ds1 like a normal bi-fold. Dh carres a slim sleeve that just holds his cards, not cash (so rarely carry cash anymore)
    Something like this design (maybe without the key feature if your home is keyless?) is good https://www.thekeyper.com/

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    thanks. i thought of doing exact same thing for DS, except at middle school they have to always put their phones in their backpacks except for at lunch (can't have it at breakfast, etc). some days they're apparently not allowed to have phones at all at lunch. so i was hoping for something separate. though i thinnk once i gets out of MS it would make sense to have everything on his phone.

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by briarrose View Post
    Based on a thread similar to this last year, we bought my DS this wallet that was recommended. It's been perfect since he started driving. He has to have his car keys with him anyway. It has plenty of room for his license, bank card and some cash. he likes that it has two compartments so he can keep his cards separate from his cash. The sticky wallets on the back of his phone didn't work for him. He also tried putting it in his phone case, but that was awkward. All that to say I wish I had known about these wallets when he was in middle school. We went through lots of wallet styles along the way and this would have worked from the beginning and transitioned when he started driving.

Barb
    We have these too!

Quote Originally Posted by briarrose View Post

Barb
    thanks for this!! wow, i am intrigued by this. even though i already got DS that other one at target, i got this one just to check out. DS is a swimmer so this would be great for outdoor stuff. thank you for the recommendation!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast