Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Thanks so much! Can't wait to try these out!

When I make soup, I often also make some kind of homemade bread. That means that my pickiest kids only have to try a little bite but they won't go to bed hungry, but for those of us with more of an appetite we have some healthy options. Over the summer I got out of the habit of soup and bread but I need to get back into it.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    Thanks so much! Can't wait to try these out!

When I make soup, I often also make some kind of homemade bread. That means that my pickiest kids only have to try a little bite but they won't go to bed hungry, but for those of us with more of an appetite we have some healthy options. Over the summer I got out of the habit of soup and bread but I need to get back into it.
    Inspired by this thread yesterday, I made some soup (not a recipe worth sharing). But the dinner rolls I made to go with is a recipe worth sharing https://www.gimmesomeoven.com/1-hour...-dinner-rolls/

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Rachael Ray's slow-cooker chicken and dumplings "stoup" is a go-to here when it gets cold:

https://www.rachaelraymag.com/recipe...cken-dumplings

(Sometimes, I cheat and use quartered refrigerator biscuits for the dumpling bit instead of dealing with the baking mix + milk thing. I also think that chicken breast turns out too dry, so I use thighs, which we buy in bulk packs, cut up, and freeze in gallon zip-top bags.)

I really like this simplified cassoulet from Chop Chop Magazine, but DH isn't as into beans as I am so I rarely make it:

https://www.chopchopfamily.org/recipe/french-cassoulet/

(If andouille is too spicy for you, and you can get to Trader Joe's, their smoked chicken-apple-chardonnay sausage gives it a great smoky flavor without the heat of andouille; you could also try some bacon or another smoky sausage. I'm not sure if the chardonnay part poses an issue for our OP for religious reasons, but if it doesn't, please try it!)

The same issue of the magazine gave us our go-to chicken soup recipe (which we serve with egg noodles cooked separately):

https://www.chopchopfamily.org/recip...-chicken-soup/

And a good beef stew recipe:
    https://www.chopchopfamily.org/recip...can-beef-stew/

(This also turns out pretty nicely finished in a slow-cooker, or even an InstantPot - do all the browning/sauté steps in the same container, so you don't lose any of the fond! - on the slow-cook setting. I don't have a modification for pressure-cook.)
    Last edited by lizzywednesday; 09-10-2021 at 10:39 AM. Reason: added recipes and tips
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

andie16 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by PunkyBoo View Post
    I LOVE soup! My favorite is split pea, and I make REALLY good split pea soup. I adapted my recipe from a cookbook called Saved By Soup. It's memorized in my head so I don't have a link-if anyone wants the recipe I can post it.
    My house also loves the potato veggie soup that Melaine posted here years ago. It's so creamy (without dairy) and good, and can be modified to suit different veggies (more or less broccoli, more or less potatoes). Wet love it topped with crumbled bacon.
    Another favorite soup is Chicken Enchilada soup https://mixandmatchmama.com/2017/11/...nchilada-soup/
    I'm very surprised my DH really likes it because he usually doesn't like americanized Mexican flavors (he's Mexican). But he really likes the soup and it's super easy and quick (I do it in the instant pot, so I can start with frozen chicken if I've forgotten to defrost some).

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
    I would love your split pea soup recipe! This thread, and some cooler weather today, are inspiring me to make soup tonight for dinner.
    Andrea
    dd 19
    ds 16
    dd 13

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by andie16 View Post
    I would love your split pea soup recipe! This thread, and some cooler weather today, are inspiring me to make soup tonight for dinner.
    Now I'm hungry for soup too, but it's supposed to be close to 90 degrees today!!!
    Here's my split pea soup recipe:
    2tsp olive oil
    I onion, chopped
    2 carrots, peeled and chopped
    2-3 celery stalks, chopped
    1-1.5 tsp minced garlic
    1 bag split peas, rinsed and picked through
    4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
    1 small smoked ham round (or other ham) chopped (OPTIONAL)
    2 cups water
    Salt& pepper
    1Tbsp. Marjoram

In a pot, heat oil, add onion, carrots, celery and garlic. Saute, stirring until they start to soften. Add the chopped ham (if using ham) and saute another minute or so. Add peas, broth, water, some s&p and marjoram. Bring to a boil. Partially cover the pot and simmer about 45 minutes, until the peas are softened. Add more s&p to taste.

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

Twin Mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I LOVE soup! My favorite is split pea, and I make REALLY good split pea soup. I adapted my recipe from a cookbook called Saved By Soup. It's memorized in my head so I don't have a link-if anyone wants the recipe I can post it.
    My house also loves the potato veggie soup that Melaine posted here years ago. It's so creamy (without dairy) and good, and can be modified to suit different veggies (more or less broccoli, more or less potatoes). Wet love it topped with crumbled bacon.
    Another favorite soup is Chicken Enchilada soup https://mixandmatchmama.com/2017/11/...nchilada-soup/
    I'm very surprised my DH really likes it because he usually doesn't like americanized Mexican flavors (he's Mexican). But he really likes the soup and it's super easy and quick (I do it in the instant pot, so I can start with frozen chicken if I've forgotten to defrost some).

How long do you cook it in the instant pot? I’m all about instant pot recipes these days. Thanks.
    Mom to b/g twins (g in college, b working)

People show themselves not by what they say but by what they do

Our happiness or our unhappiness depends far more on the way we meet the events of life than on the nature of those events themselves. -- Wilhelm von Humboldt

Quote Originally Posted by Twin Mom View Post
    How long do you cook it in the instant pot? I’m all about instant pot recipes these days. Thanks.
    I've done it in the IP for I think 12-15 minutes with natural release but I didn't love it as much. I don't remember why, so instead I just stick to the stovetop version.

I've done it in the IP for I think 12-15 minutes with natural release but I didn't love it as much. I don't remember why, so instead I just stick to the stovetop version.

Oh, oops which recipe? I was talking about split pea being 12-15 minutes

Twin Mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I was talking about the chicken enchilada soup since you said you do it in the instant pot! Thanks.
    Mom to b/g twins (g in college, b working)

People show themselves not by what they say but by what they do

Our happiness or our unhappiness depends far more on the way we meet the events of life than on the nature of those events themselves. -- Wilhelm von Humboldt

I was talking about the chicken enchilada soup since you said you do it in the instant pot! Thanks.
    Sorry! Fresh chicken would be 12-15 minutes (depending how thick the breasts are) or 20-22 for frozen.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast