Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Big shirt

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Big shirt

I know this is really whiny and super inconsequential in the long run.

My DD is a petite 7 year old and is about 40 lbs.

For soccer this fall, they gave her a size L (14-16) shirt. I am a normal sized grown woman and I could comfortably wear it. It literally goes to her knees and the sleeves go to her wrists.

We asked to change it out for a smaller size and they said that "for simplicity" they had bought all 2nd grade girls soccer players size large, all the 1st graders size medium, and all the K players size small. I image it's a rare 7 yo who could wear that size!

Taking suggestions on how to cut it off or tie it up or something so that she can actually run in it?
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

She’ll want to tuck it in to play. It might not be as bad then. Btdt with our soccer team too.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

If you can sew you could cut off the bottom then hem it. Most kids use a hair elastic to knot it on the side.

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I don't think she can tuck it in, it's just way too much fabric! What in the world were they thinking??
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

m4nash is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I feel for your daughter. My DD is a tiny 6th grader. She still wears a girls 8, sometimes a 10 if it runs small. She is playing for her middle school volleyball team this year and they passed out uniforms yesterday. The smallest size they had was an Adult S. There is no way the shorts are going to stay on her and the jersey is giant. Of course she is adamant that she must wear the entire uniform.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

THAT is a big shirt. DS2 wore that size last year in 8th grade! My 7yo is tall for her age and wears a size 7-8 and can get away with a 9-10. 14-16 would be indecent!

Wow that is crazy. No one ordering the shirts has been around 2nd graders much. Yes, there might be a couple needing a shirt that size, but a good hunk of the team is going to be wearing a nightdress.

newnana is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

That stinks, it would be really difficult to play in.
    Do you sew at all? Here's an easy (ish) resizing a t-shirt how to video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBkX...=CatherineSews

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I’m no seamstress but I would try to hem it and take it in on the sides to make it a little narrower. Another ideas though… if it’s a standard color that you can get anywhere (like Gileads from Michaels), maybe buy a new one in the right size. Then cut out the logo and number and a fix to smaller shirt with iron on facing or a zig zag stitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Ridiculous! My DD could wear it as a giant 5th grader. She could pass for a 7th grader in size. She's 5'4 1/2. But even as a 2nd grader at the 99% in height, she would have been swimming in it.

Is it polyester or could you somehow shrink it in the dryer? If not, I think sewing it or tying it up with a hair tie.
    Last edited by KpbS; 09-09-2021 at 11:43 PM.
    K

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast