Thread: I hate my teeth

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default I hate my teeth

I'll be fine in a day or two when I've processed it all, but right now I'm just so upset. 9 year ago when I went to the dentist for my check up they found a ton of cavities, like 12 or something. Mind you, I go every 6 months for checkups. Don't drink anything but water and don't eat a ton of sugar. At the time I was nursing DS2 and he was allergic to dairy and eggs, so my diet was limited. The dentist chalked it up to hormones, nursing, my diet, and reflux. I was so upset then, and got a second opinion. They agreed with the dentist. Not all had to be filled at that time (maybe 2 or 3 needed filled) so it's just been a wait and see game. I've had an occasional one filled along the way. Well, today I went in and the remaining 7 now have gone deep enough that they need filled before they get too deep. Ugh. I'm just so mad. I cried when they told me. The hygienist was very kind and told me that I should be proud I held them off this long, but still. I feel like such a failure. I never had any cavities until I turned 25, and in the last 15 years it seems like my teeth have gone to hell. I was recently told I've started perimenopause so I'm wondering if that in some way affected them enough to push them over the edge to needing filled. Not the end of the world, but I just need to vent.

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Vent away. Hugs.

But you are not a failure. Pregnancy and breastfeeding do a number on our bodies in many ways. I’m a dentist and after my kids I started clenching so hard that I broke a molar and had to get an implant put in.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

Myira is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default I hate my teeth

Many hugs, and from a fellow sufferer. I’ve had a dental implant for one molar after DD was born. That one had root canal done twice before and then each time since the shave some more part of the tooth, a cap would not stay on anymore. Dental implants are an ordeal and I wouldn’t wish that on my worst enemy.
    Every six months I went for a cleaning they’d find cavities. I brush and floss twice a day and I don’t have a sweet tooth, so my consumption of sugary drinks or food was always lower than the average person even when I was not conscious about food and diet. I’ve just accepted that I inherited the worst genes as far as teeth go. My mom is pushing 70 and does not have a single cavity so I certainly did not get her genes.

The only thing that has made a positive difference for me is giving up dairy a few years ago. Now atleast every time I see the dentist at cleanings they don’t tell me you have a cavity to be filled.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    DD 10/2008
    DS 09/2011

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'm sorry. I recently discovered a similar middle age health problem that really stinks. It's hard to accept.
    K

liz is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Hugs OP. How frustrating, when it seems you are doing all you can do to keep your teeth in good health. I had a coworker who spent thousands and thousands of dollars on her teeth, she just had so many issues out of her control. And my mom, who laments the health of her teeth (no dental care growing up in immediate post WWII Europe). Something most of us take for granted.

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I had a streak from 39-41 where it seemed like every dentist visit was another round of cavities that needed to be filled. I had only had 1 prior to that. The last 4 years, I've been back to none.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

It turns out it’s very genetic. Also turns out flossing doesn’t help that that much either. Don’t beat yourself up. My husband has hardly any cavities, but he has gum problems. My gums are great. Go figure.

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

It turns out it’s very genetic. Also turns out flossing doesn’t help that that much either. Don’t beat yourself up. My husband has hardly any cavities, but he has gum problems. My gums are great. Go figure.

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

When DH and I were dating, one of the things I told him was that I had far more money invested in my mouth that in my new car - and it was completely true! (Adult braces, NINE crowns, plus cut-down peri surgery). I grew up with medication that damaged my teeth, as well as other factors.
    As an adult, there's not a lot you can do to change the teeth you have - just got to deal with it. You can, however, focus on your DC and make sure they have proper nutrition and habits, and give them the best start you can! Sometimes it helps just to focus on the kids - when I get frustrated, I harp on them more.

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Double post monster again.