Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7
    JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

710 Indigenous people, mostly girls, were reported missing over the past decade in Wyoming, the same state where Gabby Petito reportedly disappeared

https://www.insider.com/710-indigeno...WlGktNJz_bWVfY
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

Yeah, the JonBenet Ramsey case was interesting in a way because it introduced most of the country to the world of big-time children's beauty pageants. I was a senior in college at the time, and it was all new to me -- kids wearing pounds of makeup, hair pieces, even flipper teeth to cover age-appropriate missing teeth. That was the "hook," and once we were there, all the other stuff came out along with the questions: Did the mom do it? Did the dad do it? Did the 9-year-old brother do it?

The Natalee Halloway case is the one I never understood. Unfortunately, many people go missing when abroad -- what made her case stand out?
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by carolinacool View Post

The Natalee Halloway case is the one I never understood. Unfortunately, many people go missing when abroad -- what made her case stand out?
    Oh that one I get. For me that was the super spoiled rich kid angle! I think without his involvement it would be pretty run of the mill (though that sounds sort of horrible!)

I didn't get wrapped up too much in this current case. I guess I missed the influencer angle of it. I do see how that would drum up more interest.

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by carolinacool View Post
    Yeah, the JonBenet Ramsey case was interesting in a way because it introduced most of the country to the world of big-time children's beauty pageants. I was a senior in college at the time, and it was all new to me -- kids wearing pounds of makeup, hair pieces, even flipper teeth to cover age-appropriate missing teeth. That was the "hook," and once we were there, all the other stuff came out along with the questions: Did the mom do it? Did the dad do it? Did the 9-year-old brother do it?

I don't really know either with Natalee. Probably just timing of other news being slow, and the whole high school trip thing. Going to Aruba with your high school class isn't a thing where I'm from, so that part stood out. Then thinking about how terrible to have the class come home without one girl, and the horror of trying to find her in another country.

Kindra178 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post
    Honest question-- why is there so much intrigue and media coverage of this story? Is it because she's young, white, pretty, and blond? I'm pretty sure hundreds of people go missing a day nationwide, but few get this type of coverage. I'm on a parenting FB group and a mom posted yesterday that her best friend's son is missing, also under suspicious circumstances. He's been missing since August 25th (same week as Gabby), his car was found abandoned with his belongings inside, and he's a current college student (so similar age as Gabby). Zero press, which is why the friend was sharing his story and pictures online. Only difference is he's male and black.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
    Yes to this. I have NO IDEA why this is of interest to anybody.

I saw that on Grown and Flown. Heartbreaking.

mom2binsd is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Sadly this afternoon they released that a body found 3 weeks ago, has now been identified as Jelani Day, the Illinois State graduate student who mysteriously disappeared. My friends who were his advisors and professors are heartbroken. It took the coroner 3 weeks using DNA and dental records to id him. Still no cause of death or answers.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

KpbS is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Just coming here to post this, mom2binsd. I’m so sorry. He seemed like a great young man with so much potential.
    K

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7