Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hoco proposals

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Some kids here do them, some don't, I haven't heard from local moms that the pressure is there. Most of the ones are for kids who already know they are going together so rejecting the proposal doesn't seem to be an issue. When DD was in high school her boyfriend had fun with his proposals, but that's his personality. I just don't worry too much, asked DS about it and he shrugged and said only a few do them. He is going to HOCO with a group of 13 ,mixed boys and girls and no specific dates and I guess we don't have to get corsages but I need to double check. That is pretty common here.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I think it's ridiculous and just part of the whole Pinterest/Instagram culture which is so over the top and for show only.

I'm lucky this was never a thing at my son's school (although my son would never take part in it anyways even if it was).

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I completely agree it is too much. In addition to the proposals, just how dressed up they get and everything that is supposed to go along with it in terms of homecoming. I mean, I feel like there is barely any difference from prom at this point; nothing is special if everything is such a big deal.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I don't see the point of it, but it seems innocent enough over here (posters with a pun). The kids seem to have always talked before the ask, so the answer is known before they're putting themselves out there publically. The whole thing is a lot though.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ahisma View Post
    I don't see the point of it, but it seems innocent enough over here (posters with a pun). The kids seem to have always talked before the ask, so the answer is known before they're putting themselves out there publically. The whole thing is a lot though.
    that's what it's like here too.

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Agreed. I also think it's silly people hire photographers for a marriage proposal.

I agree that some are over the top. Some are even fancier than my marriage proposal. It feels made for social media but that's the culture so it certainly isn't surprising. DS1 hasn't been very social the last 18 months and hasn't mentioned homecoming but I've seen friends post their kids' proposals in the past so I know it's a thing here.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

SAHMIL is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by khm View Post
    Yeah, I think it peaked a few years ago here. I'd see super elaborate stuff online and in real life (huge signs on the side of the road, which seemed dangerous given the road!). If anything now it is just a simple poster board with a cute pun or something but even that is fading.
    A friend of mine’s daughter had like 5 dozen roses amd votive candles . It looked like a scene from the Bachelor .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SAHMIL View Post
    A friend of mine’s daughter had like 5 dozen roses amd votive candles . It looked like a scene from the Bachelor .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Her poor future spouse. Everything will be a letdown after that…

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

DD's high school boyfriend had fun doing hers over the years, HOCO was on a swim kick board with a cute message "let's kick it to HOCO", she's a swimmer, another one was at hockey and he flipped a puck asking her to HOCO, 5 lacrosse balls that spelled out p r o m? He got into it, and it was fun cute high school stuff. I do not get too worried about this type of stuff.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2