Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mmsmom View Post
    Agree it is regional and school dependent. It is also somewhat different now than when I was in school
    30 years ago. At my DC’s school Homecoming is a football game when alumni return to the school and attend the game. There is a homecoming Queen and king that are crowned at halftime. Students attend the game with friends as they usually do for other football games. The next day, Saturday night, is a homecoming dance for 9-12th grades. Some kids take dates, some go in groups. Boys wear coat and tie and girls wear short dressy dresses. They get together for dinner beforehand (in my area it is usually at a country club).

Prom is for juniors and seniors only. In my day you didn’t go without a date but these days groups of friends without dates go too. Boys wear tuxedos, girls wear long dresses. Dinner beforehand, after parties (most schools have these at school to keep kids safe) usually parents host a breakfast the next day. It’s and all night into next morning event.
    This is how it goes at my kids' high school in rural western NY. Pretty much everyone goes with or with dates, popular or not. Small school with class sizes around 75-90 kids so everyone knows everyone.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

OP thanks for asking. I didn’t go to high school here either. Good to know what to expect

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Midwest here. Homecoming sounds much like everyone else. Short party dresses, boys button up shirt, nice pants, tie. Ours is held the night after the football homecoming. When I was in high school there was also a basketball homecoming, but I'm not sure if they do that now. You can go with a date, as a group, or by yourself.

I haven't seen anyone else mention this part of prom, so maybe it's just my area. Around here, the junior class does all of the decorating for prom. They pick a theme, raise money, and do elaborate decorations in the school gym or cafeteria (whatever big area there is for dancing). Junior parents raise all of the money to put on "post prom" which is a few hours of games, prizes, and other things to do that is at the other gym. They also have elaborate decorations and a theme. It's basically to keep kids safer and help reduce drinking. Prom is for juniors or seniors of our school plus their date. I believe their date has to be a Freshman and can't be over 18 (which I find interesting, because DS will be 19 at his prom, so maybe saying in high school would be a better cut off). The date can be from another town/school. Attire is fancy dresses, boys are starting to do more suits vs tuxes, there's a big red carpet going into the school where they announce you as you walk in. Again, many go in groups, dates, or some by themselves.

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I grew up in Canada, so no HOCO, but we had GRAD which is similar to PROM, although at my Grad dinner we had a bar, because most of the kids were of legal drinking age.

SO here in our small IL city HOCO is pretty much kids either who are dating go together or groups (either mixed or all one gender). Most girls wear shorter dresses, but still fancy, usually some bling, often fitted. Boys here tend to wear a shirt and tie, but no jacket, except a few fellas who are styling or have a girlfriend who wanted them to wear a suit, but generally dress pants, long sleeve shirt and tie. Most kids go out for dinner before but the main event is PICTURES!!! They have a lot of fun, and the parents often join in, and socialize afterwards. You can also invite someone not from the school, you just get permission. This year we are having an early HOCO and late HOCO, each 1.5 hrs long, the kids buy a ticket for one, this is to decrease the number of kids inside, and masks and no refreshments this year. Also this year, for some reason all 4 major high schools are having HOCO on the same night, so restaurants are gonna be mobbed for a few hours, as well as the favorite pic spots. DS is going with a gang of 13, one family has a wonderful backyard with lots of space and backdrop for pics and it'll be nice for the parents to have a glass of wine while the kids are posing and having fun being all dressed up (for many it's their first time going to a real dance). Corsages/boutineers are optional, depending on the kids.

PROM is for JR an SR, or if you are the date of one of them. Prom is more fancy, longer dresses, boys in tux or suits. Same pre prom festivities with pics, and dinner. We have a POST PROM party hosted by the JR Class, it's supposed to be an alternative to parties that can turn into trouble. DD never went, we hosted a "group" post party sleepover one year.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2