Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Update #7: Does anyone have a Tile bluetooth tracker?

Dd1 left her phone in the shopping cart at Target yesterday and thankfully someone found it and turned it in, but I am thinking of getting her a tracker and a tracker for myself so we can avoid this issue again. She will eventually need it to keep track of her car keys (we have electronic house locks).

Is the Pro with the subscription for worth it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 09-19-2021 at 07:11 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Are you an Apple family? If so buy an AirTag instead for you keys. You can replace the battery and much better integration with iPhone.

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lisa928 View Post
    Are you an Apple family? If so buy an AirTag instead for you keys. You can replace the battery and much better integration with iPhone.

We have tiles on a lot of thing, but are switching to AirTags as the battery dies on our Tiles.

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Yeah, I'd get the AirTag. They seem to be the way of the future for trackers.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I have a tile. The battery usually dies before I really find that it is useful! Great concept though...might get Air Tags instead...

Thanks for the reminder about the Air Tag! I thought I had read that they only worked with iPhone 11 or higher but that is only if you want to use the precision tracking option (that would be awesome lost AirPods!) Dd1 still has an XR.

Annie
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,

So we bought the air tags from Amazon and tbh they don’t do what I thought they would do; ping your phone from another room, but you still have to ping things from your iPhone’s “Find My” app. Maybe this is the blond moment of the century but I honestly thought you used the tag to ping your device. Totally not what we needed at all. My keys stay in my purse 95% of the time and we have a key rack. My purse stays in 2 or 3 of the same places in my house, and my wallet is always in my purse. I lose my sunglasses more but of course you can’t put a tag on your sunglasses.

I was able to request a refund from Amazon and I got my full purchase price but I simply just wanted to return them. Maybe she will use it more when she is 16 and has to keep track of her keys.

Annie
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    So we bought the air tags from Amazon and tbh they don’t do what I thought they would do; ping your phone from another room, but you still have to ping things from your iPhone’s “Find My” app. Maybe this is the blond moment of the century but I honestly thought you used the tag to ping your device. Totally not what we needed at all. My keys stay in my purse 95% of the time and we have a key rack. My purse stays in 2 or 3 of the same places in my house, and my wallet is always in my purse. I lose my sunglasses more but of course you can’t put a tag on your sunglasses.

I was able to request a refund from Amazon and I got my full purchase price but I simply just wanted to return them. Maybe she will use it more when she is 16 and has to keep track of her keys.

Yeah, you use it to put on something to give it the ability to use "Find My" to find it. I'm not understanding what you thought it would do?

In the OP, you'd find the phone by using "Find My" and wouldn't need an AirTag. To find lost keys/backpack/wallet, you'd use "Find My" to find the AirTag of whatever item you've attached it to.

Default Update #7: Does anyone have a Tile bluetooth tracker?

Quote Originally Posted by khm View Post
    Yeah, you use it to put on something to give it the ability to use "Find My" to find it. I'm not understanding what you thought it would do?

In the OP, you'd find the phone by using "Find My" and wouldn't need an AirTag. To find lost keys/backpack/wallet, you'd use "Find My" to find the AirTag of whatever item you've attached it to.
    Yea I honestly thought it would do the opposite. I wanted something that would be able to find your phone without having to use the find my app. on the phone because it is useless if you don’t have your phone. Phones and AirPods are the most lost item in our house (although they don’t go missing for long) and I thought if it did the reverse: the air tag would send out a ping to ping your phone that it would be cool. I stupidly thought that is what it would do. I am just an “old lady” who doesn’t see the need for this type of device. I guess since my keys rarely leave my purse and my wallet never leaves my purse. It might prove to be useful once DD1 is driving in the next year and then living in the dorms a few years later, but for right now it just isn’t that necessary.

So it turns out we couldn’t locate DD1’s phone because for some reason her current phone which she has had for over two years never got synched to her icloud. It still had her original iPhone (DH’s old iPhone 6 she used from 2018-early 2019) as the phone. We have now fixed that issue so unless she has location services off we should easily be able to locate her phone if she misplaces it again.

Last edited by AnnieW625; 09-20-2021 at 12:13 PM.
    Annie
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    Yea I honestly thought it would do the opposite. I wanted something that would be able to find your phone without having to use the find my app. on the phone because it is useless if you don’t have your phone. Phones and AirPods are the most lost item in our house (although they don’t go missing for long) and I thought if it did the reverse: the air tag would send out a ping to ping your phone that it would be cool. I stupidly thought that is what it would do. I am just an “old lady” who doesn’t see the need for this type of advice I guess since my keys rarely leave my purse and my wallet never leaves my purse. It might prove to be useful once DD1 is driving in the next year and then living in the dorms a few years later, but for right now it just isn’t that necessary.

So it turns out we couldn’t locate DD1’s phone because for some reason her current phone which she has had for over two years never got synched to her icloud. It still had her original iPhone (DH’s old iPhone 6 she used from 2018-early 2019) as the phone. We have now fixed that issue so unless she has location services off we should easily be able to locate her phone if she misplaces it again.

So, um...the tile does this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast