Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ahisma View Post
    So, um...the tile does this.
    Thank you….maybe that is why I got confused….I was looking at the Tile website and then saw the recommendation here for the air tag and thought it would do the same. Oops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    Yea I honestly thought it would do the opposite. I wanted something that would be able to find your phone without having to use the find my app. on the phone because it is useless if you don’t have your phone. Phones and AirPods are the most lost item in our house (although they don’t go missing for long) and I thought if it did the reverse: the air tag would send out a ping to ping your phone that it would be cool. I stupidly thought that is what it would do. I am just an “old lady” who doesn’t see the need for this type of advice I guess since my keys rarely leave my purse and my wallet never leaves my purse. It might prove to be useful once DD1 is driving in the next year and then living in the dorms a few years later, but for right now it just isn’t that necessary.

So it turns out we couldn’t locate DD1’s phone because for some reason her current phone which she has had for over two years never got synched to her icloud. It still had her original iPhone (DH’s old iPhone 6 she used from 2018-early 2019) as the phone. We have now fixed that issue so unless she has location services off we should easily be able to locate her phone if she misplaces it again.

Generally, you find her phone with your phone (granted that she has location enabled and you are either a family account, or you can log into the phone's iCloud from your phone).

If she wasn't connected to Find My's / iCloud, yeah it wouldn't have worked though.

An Apple watch can ping the phone, but it wouldn't help from that distance. It is more of a find it in the couch cushions kind of thing.

Life360 could have also helped find the phone if you guys were in the same circle and she had location services on. It works great and doesn't need any extra bit with a battery that will just die. I have an Orbit and it is junk because the battery dies super fast.

Tile is the same idea as an AirTag though right? You put the Tile on the "thing" you might lose and use a phone/computer to find the Tile. You wouldn't use the Tile in your hand to ping a phone that is at Target?

Default Update #7: Does anyone have a Tile bluetooth tracker?

Quote Originally Posted by khm View Post
    …….

Tile is the same idea as an AirTag though right? You put the Tile on the "thing" you might lose and use a phone/computer to find the Tile. You wouldn't use the Tile in your hand to ping a phone that is at Target?
    According to the Tile website you can ping your phone from the tile tag. It will make a sound even if your phone is on silent. https://www.thetileapp.com/en-us/how-it-works

Yes it looks like Tile will lose the ability once you leave the store or a parking lot, but it seems like a nice option to have. Hopefully she won’t be losing her phone at Target again or leaving it anywhere else; but if she were to get into the car at a place like a Starbucks and then realizes that she has left her phone in there on a counter or a table then she can touch the tile and it will ping her phone even if it is on silent. Same thing if she were to leave it in a classroom. There is a model with a 200 ft. bluetooth range and a 400 ft. model. It could also be useful for finding the phone in the house or the car….you know other places where phones often get misplaced at home. I hope I am understanding all that correctly.

I will look at the Life360 as well. Although my MO is not to spy and keep tabs on her. She is good about telling me where she is and where she will be. It is a building trust thing imho.

Life would probably also be easier if I knew her password to her iCloud account which I don’t but when the phone was lost at Target we did log into the computer that way as well once she realized it was no longer in her backpack at 10 pm.

Last edited by AnnieW625; 09-20-2021 at 02:56 PM.
    Annie
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,

ncat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I had a Tile on my keys a few years ago. I did not find it useful enough to do the battery replacement. Part way through the expected life, it only seemed to work about half the time. It did rescue me one when I left my keys in a conference room at work and didn't notice until hours later when it was time to leave.

So I ended up ordering a set of Tile Pros. They come with a free year of premium service. Dd1 will use one and I will use one.

On a side note I also decided to put an Apple Air Tag in DD2’s wallet (it is in the coin purse). She is always misplacing it in the house so this way when she can’t find it she can use my phone and ping it.

Annie
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We have Tile on many things (DH has ADHD and is always forgetting or losing things) and are starting to switch to AirTags when the batteries die. You can ding your phone from the tile. We accidentally bump them and then our phone goes off. It’s super annoying. To find our phones we usually just have someone else ding it from their phones.

Quote Originally Posted by MSWR0319 View Post
    We have Tile on many things (DH has ADHD and is always forgetting or losing things) and are starting to switch to AirTags when the batteries die. You can ding your phone from the tile. We accidentally bump them and then our phone goes off. It’s super annoying. To find our phones we usually just have someone else ding it from their phones.
    We have done the dinging thing from our phones as well, but just want another option if DD1 is alone and misplaces her phone like at school….leaving it in the classroom or the quad, the bathroom, or god forbid in Target or another really public place again and not being able to log into her iCloud account as she doesn’t have a phone or wifi connection.

If there was a way to tag my sunglasses or my watch (I have a traditional one) though I would totally do that!

Annie
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    We have done the dinging thing from our phones as well, but just want another option if DD1 is alone and misplaces her phone like at school….leaving it in the classroom or the quad, the bathroom, or god forbid in Target or another really public place again and not being able to log into her iCloud account as she doesn’t have a phone or wifi connection.

If there was a way to tag my sunglasses or my watch (I have a traditional one) though I would totally do that!

I need a tag for my water bottle! I am always misplacing it and then hunting all over the house for it. I paid my kids a $5 finders fee the other day because I looked everywhere and couldn’t find it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2