Liziz is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default District-wide assessments?

This year, my 4th grader has "module tests" approximately every 6 weeks in all 4 of her main subject areas (ELA, Math, Science, and Social Studies). They are tests on the computer (which is nothing new to her, she did many computer tests last year for routine assessments). However, after taking the test, all she received afterwards was a slip of paper with her final score. The test wasn't reviewed in class, nor available for me to review with her at home. She did not do well on the first module test and was quite upset. She went in and talked to her teacher, who gave her some fairly generic "extra practice" she could do if she wanted to improve next time (it was just some random IXL online quizzes, nothing specific). I then had an email exchange with the teacher, in which I learned that the module tests are district-wide tests, and therefore they are not allowed to share the test with parents or send home anymore information besides the final grade.

I specifically told the teacher that my DD really benefits and needs to review tests after completion. She is an excellent student, but testing is not her strong suit. She benefits a lot from reviewing a test after she takes it, and it absolutely helps her performance moving forward. The teacher said she would pull my daughter aside and go through the missed questions with her in school, so for this particular assessment, we're all good now. But, I'm very unimpressed that our district wide policy involves routine testing (I could understand a final assessment at the end of the year or something, but not the routine stuff) where neither students nor parents have the ability to review the test after the fact.

The other very frustrating part of this policy is the (again, district wide) rule that "83 or above is considered subject mastery. Students who score below an 83 are considered to not have fully mastered the material and it is expected all students will score above an 83. Students who score below a 70 will have the opportunity to re-take the test to achieve mastery". So there's this gap from 70-83 where a student is considered to have not achieved what is expected, but yet are considered not bad enough to re-take. (Not that I'm saying this to my DD, but my strategic mind thinks "geez, if you're not feeling good about the test, just make an effort to bomb it, then you get another shot -- which is better than ending up in the gray zone of bad but not bad enough to re-take") My DD scored a 73 on this exam, so she was impacted by this.

I realize none of this is the teacher's choice and I'm not really ready to mount a fight against the district (we have bigger fish to fry here, like the district's refusal to notify direct contacts that they've had COVID exposures and such...), but I'm just wondering if this is totally normal and I'm being too picky, or if this is just standard these days? Both to the fact the test isn't reviewed or available to be reviewed after the fact, and also the re-take policy.

ETA: based on responses so far, I want to clarify. These are not state standardized testing. The kids do that, too. These are regular module tests over the material they've covered in class for the past few weeks. They are tests the students are encouraged to study for, not the standardized "can't-really prepare" tests. For example, in Science DD's class just finished up a unit on Light and Reflection. That is what the district-wide module test will cover. The test DD did poorly on was over 2 specific stories that she had studied and discussed in class. They not only count towards the grade, but they are double-weighted compared to all other scores in the gradebook.
    Last edited by Liziz; 09-17-2021 at 12:32 PM.
    Lizi

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Mine have taken regular assessments (MAPS) that don't impact their grade or really their coursework. They are just snapshots that the school uses to gauge where the kids are. For the kids at our schools, the results don't really mean anything. I would be curious how your dd's school uses them. Mine have seen their final scores but have no real way to know if it is a good score or not. The kids and teachers do them because they have to but there's no more thought put into them. eta- I don't know for sure if the scores are reviewed when the teacher is evaluated.

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We have district assessments, and we don't go over them with the students. Half the tests don't even align with the curriculum, so they are being tested on stuff not covered yet. To me, many of the district assessments are meaningless and a waste of time. We do a a language arts one that has some merit. I will go over it with the parents at conference time. It isn't anything that the kids can really practice for, so it's not something I go over with the students. None of these tests can be retaken, but they are given 3 times per year. These tests do not impact a student's grade at all.

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

This is standard for most (all?) districts. It's likely state required testing. The school does not have the ability / authority to share the test questions. DS2 bombs them every time. We generally email the teacher and explain that we saw the score and are ignoring it - they agree.

These assessments aren't usually part of a student's grade. Make sure she is aware they are different than regular classwork and tests/quizzes from the curriculum. I've always told my kids these assessments grade the teacher and show them where kids might need more help rather than an assessment of the kids' ability or knowledge. This seems to take the pressure off my kids. We don't put much focus on them in our home.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

Liziz is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Based on responses so far, I want to clarify. These are not state standardized testing. The kids do that, too. These are regular module tests over the material they've covered in class for the past few weeks. They are tests the students are encouraged to study for, not the standardized "can't-really prepare" tests. For example, in Science DD's class just finished up a unit on Light and Reflection. That is what the district-wide module test will cover. The test DD did poorly on was over 2 specific stories that she had studied and discussed in class. They not only count towards the grade, but they are double-weighted compared to all other scores in the gradebook.
    Lizi

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

If this is material that the teacher covers in class, I would definitely follow up and make sure that the teacher KNOWS what is on the tests (it could be generated by the textbook or something and not what she teaches in class)! Your DC should be able to go over it question by question to see her mistakes and figure out where she went wrong! It makes no sense that she can't; how can she learn if she doesn't know what she is doing wrong.

Honestly, it could be that she is struggling with the technology; that is a common issue in our house!

If your DC is not getting anywhere with the teacher, definitely step in.

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Liziz View Post
    Based on responses so far, I want to clarify. These are not state standardized testing. The kids do that, too. These are regular module tests over the material they've covered in class for the past few weeks. They are tests the students are encouraged to study for, not the standardized "can't-really prepare" tests. For example, in Science DD's class just finished up a unit on Light and Reflection. That is what the district-wide module test will cover. The test DD did poorly on was over 2 specific stories that she had studied and discussed in class. They not only count towards the grade, but they are double-weighted compared to all other scores in the gradebook.

If they count for the grade, then they should be going over them. We do pre/post unit testing to see where kids are, assess what might need to be retaught etc. But it doesnt count towards a grade. That sounds super stressful for her and I'm sorry.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!