Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default How have reactions to the booster (3rd dose) been? Combined with flu shot?

I think we have people here who have been eligible for the booster already? If not, maybe you know someone?

I definitely intend to get the booster if/when I am eligible. If they go for 8 months from 2nd vaccine that would mean the end of October for me. I am interested in knowing how reactions/effects were especially as compared to the 2nd dose you/they had. I am mostly trying to figure out when to get my flu shot. I have always read/heard that its best to wait until October. I also see they are saying it is find to get a Covid and flu shot together, but one article says that side effects may increase if this is done. I think I would rather not get them at the same time if I can avoid that but we will see!

ETA: Looks like I did ask about this prematurely as the committee that met today voted not to approve a booster for Pfizer for the general population. I am guessing there is still more to come on this, though.
    Last edited by JustMe; 09-17-2021 at 04:09 PM.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I look forward to hearing what people say because I have the same question for me and DD! Feeling like maybe I will do the flu shot first because they are still not officially recommending the booster? Or do I have that wrong?

ETA - I just called our pediatrician and they said that it hasn't been approved yet for the general population, but they recommend getting it once available. Our ped is really science/evidence based, so I generally go with her recommendations.
    Last edited by squimp; 09-17-2021 at 01:56 PM.

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by squimp View Post
    I look forward to hearing what people say because I have the same question for me and DD! Feeling like maybe I will do the flu shot first because they are still not officially recommending the booster? Or do I have that wrong?

Yes, you are correct; the booster has not been approved yet. However, it seems like they are thinking it will officially be recommended very soon My understanding is the booster/3rd dose is already recommended for those with autoimmune disorders, so I thought we might get some info about how that has gone.

ETA: There is an all day FDA meeting today about the boosters, so we may get some info very soon.
    Last edited by JustMe; 09-17-2021 at 02:14 PM.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

o_mom is online now Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

The advisory committee is meeting today, so there should be a recommendation soon. So far, the data they presented shows side effects are similar or less than the first two doses.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

ezcc is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

My mom had the booster (she is older and immunocompromised) it was pretty much the same as the second shot for her- not a big deal, just a little tired and slightly off the day of and the next day. She had Moderna.

I had the booster (moderna) because I am immunocompromised and my reaction was slightly milder than the second shot. At about the 24 hour mark, I was completely wiped out and slept all afternoon. I perked up a little in the evening and was totally fine the next day.

gatorsmom is online now Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Dh got the Pfizer booster in August because he’s immunocompromised. He had no reaction to the Pfizer vaccination. A little tired the next day after the first one but nothing at all after the second shot. But the booster gave him a terrible headache with body aches for a day and a half afterwards. He fought it off with advil but said it felt like he had the flu and it was miserable.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

mom2binsd is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I think until folks who are not in the "high risk" immunocompromised group start getting the booster it will be hard to tell. The only ones getting it are already at risk vs those of us who got it early because of our jobs (healthcare workers etc). I would expect if someone is in that high risk group that they might have a stronger reaction, although none of the elderly residents at my nursing home had a reaction to their 1/2 Pfizer doses last Jan.

My mom got a third shot a few weeks ago. She was vaccinated in the very first rounds as a healthcare worker and isn't technically immunocompromised but her white count has always run slightly low. Because of age (70), the low white count and that she continues to work in direct patient care, her GP recommended it. She felt pretty cruddy for a day but didn't plan well and was scheduled to work. She does not have a job where she can lie low or check out mentally (nurse anesthetist) so it must have been manageable but she has mentioned how miserable that day was several times and she's not a complainer.

It doesn't look like the general public will be getting a booster in the near future anyway. There is likely more to come for sure.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

DH got 3rd booster in August and had no reaction. He also didn’t have a reaction to first 2.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast