Default Pegasus and older Apple devices

We have two iPads that are too old to be updated to the latest software (original iPad Airs), and thus can't get the update that went out this week in response to the Pegasus spyware. I had a pretty unconvincing chat with an Apple support person who said (a) Apple has issued no communications about Pegusus so he knew nothing about it and (b) don't worry! Apple devices are completely secure! Also, he suggested (c) get new devices!, which I don't really want to do, since these work just fine for what we use them for (a little TV watching, looking up recipes, FaceTime).

Anyone have any better insight on whether this is a concern? It seems to me that devices that are too old to be updated to current software do in fact present security risks. Isn't that one of the points of updates?

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by #2ontheway View Post
    We have two iPads that are too old to be updated to the latest software (original iPad Airs), and thus can't get the update that went out this week in response to the Pegasus spyware. I had a pretty unconvincing chat with an Apple support person who said (a) Apple has issued no communications about Pegusus so he knew nothing about it and (b) don't worry! Apple devices are completely secure! Also, he suggested (c) get new devices!, which I don't really want to do, since these work just fine for what we use them for (a little TV watching, looking up recipes, FaceTime).

Anyone have any better insight on whether this is a concern? It seems to me that devices that are too old to be updated to current software do in fact present security risks. Isn't that one of the points of updates?
    If you only use it for TV and FaceTime I personally wouldn’t be worried. I would just make sure location is turned off and no credit card information is stored.

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

What are we supposed to do with old Apple products that we no longer use because they are so old? (and don't get updates) I have an ipad 2 (I think its an ipad 2; whatever it is, it does not get updates) that is so slow, etc, that it sits in a drawer. I did turn in on about a month ago to see how it would work as a reader, but don't really need to turn it on. That said, I think I am signed in to my personal email on the device. Is that fine? Do I just leave it turned off? I googled, but did not find anything about this.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
    What are we supposed to do with old Apple products that we no longer use because they are so old? (and don't get updates) I have an ipad 2 (I think its an ipad 2; whatever it is, it does not get updates) that is so slow, etc, that it sits in a drawer. I did turn in on about a month ago to see how it would work as a reader, but don't really need to turn it on. That said, I think I am signed in to my personal email on the device. Is that fine? Do I just leave it turned off? I googled, but did not find anything about this.
    Apple has a good program for trading in old devices. Depending on how old they are you can potentially get credit toward a new device purchase or they will just recycle it for you. I sent in an old laptop last year. https://www.apple.com/shop/trade-in

I also read the advice (not from Apple) to turn off Messages on any old device, and that should solve the Pegasus problem as apparently that's how it was spread (is that the right way to describe it or is my brain now putting everything in Covid terminology? ).

For older Apple devices - Apple has now released iOS 12.5.5 to address this security issue.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/21...egasus-spyware