Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Cloth Masks for Small Teen Boys?

I'm on the hunt for some good masks for DS2. He's 14 but he doesn't really fit the adult sized masks (honestly neither do I). They're super loose on him. So far he has ONE mask that he picked up from Kaiser that he really likes. He also wears some kid sized surgical style masks with somewhat longer ear loops that we picked up from Costco (I no longer see them on the Costco website!). He's in between adult and kid sized masks. He is vaccinated so somewhat protected but so far the high school we attend isn't doing the best job of keeping kids masked and distanced so masks with some built in protection are important.

Wondering if anyone had recommendations for middle sized kids cloth masks that are also somewhat protective?

For reference, DH and DS1 wear triple ply black surgical style masks we got from Amazon. DS3 and DD wear KF94 Bluna masks in size small. DS2 and I are the middle sized members of the family and we pretty much wear bigger kids cloth masks but we're looking for better solutions.

TIA!

My 11.5-year-old wears Athleta’s adult everyday mask. It has adjustable ear loops and seems to run a wee smaller than other adult mask. I have a round face and I find it a bit too tight.

It’s three-ply, so I’m leaning on that. I finally found some surgical masks that fit him — adult-size mask with smaller ear loops. But he says they are scratchy, so we are back to the Athleta for school.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

So, not sure this exactly counts as cloth, so not sure if it is what you are looking for. We all have smallish faces here and we like Starks masks when we don't feel we need to use our Bluna. Starks is a vacuum company and their masks have a really good built-in filter. They make two sizes, kids and adults. If you're wanting to try, unfortunately I'd say you would need to try both sizes. My DD who has an exceptionally small face wears the kids. DS wears the adults. I can adjust either to fit me, but I think the kids is just a little bit better, but it would definitely be too small for some. No way it would fit my son, and his face is still on the smallest size for a 15-year-old boy. They have adjustable ear loops.

It's not cloth, but I'm also in that "in between" size where it's hard to find masks that fit well, and the best fitting masks I've found are the size medium KF-94s. The Dr. Puri are the most comfortable of the 2-3 brands I've tried, so I got a couple of 20 packs from Amazon. I wear them for about a week before throwing them away unless I'm somewhere that feels really sketchy or they get dirty before that.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

Quote Originally Posted by carolinacool View Post
    My 11.5-year-old wears Athleta’s adult everyday mask. It has adjustable ear loops and seems to run a wee smaller than other adult mask. I have a round face and I find it a bit too tight.

It’s three-ply, so I’m leaning on that. I finally found some surgical masks that fit him — adult-size mask with smaller ear loops. But he says they are scratchy, so we are back to the Athleta for school.
    Hmm. That sounds appealing...I just put a pack in my cart. The stores local to me are all out of stock so I will need to pay shipping. My guess is if these don't work well for DS2 they'll work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
    So, not sure this exactly counts as cloth, so not sure if it is what you are looking for. We all have smallish faces here and we like Starks masks when we don't feel we need to use our Bluna. Starks is a vacuum company and their masks have a really good built-in filter. They make two sizes, kids and adults. If you're wanting to try, unfortunately I'd say you would need to try both sizes. My DD who has an exceptionally small face wears the kids. DS wears the adults. I can adjust either to fit me, but I think the kids is just a little bit better, but it would definitely be too small for some. No way it would fit my son, and his face is still on the smallest size for a 15-year-old boy. They have adjustable ear loops.
    That's so tricky! I've seen those Starks masks and would love to try one. DS2 is definitely between sizes so that would be tricky. I'll check them out!

Quote Originally Posted by gymnbomb View Post
    It's not cloth, but I'm also in that "in between" size where it's hard to find masks that fit well, and the best fitting masks I've found are the size medium KF-94s. The Dr. Puri are the most comfortable of the 2-3 brands I've tried, so I got a couple of 20 packs from Amazon. I wear them for about a week before throwing them away unless I'm somewhere that feels really sketchy or they get dirty before that.
    We love the KF94s for the littles. I bet we're both "medium" sized. It is nice that that is offered! Maybe I'll try a 20 pack...though my kids (especially DS2) complain about the smell of Bluna masks we have for DS3 and DD!)

Masks for my almost 13 year old have been the toughest to settle on this school year. Last year he wore Happy Masks in medium every day but now he's revolting against them. DS1 and DD wear Bluna masks to school but DS2 is fighting that one too. I've given up and allow him to wear a surgical mask. The adult size masks are too big so I tie a loop in the back of the ear straps to make them slightly smaller. For adult sized masks I have bought them through Armbrust. These are really soft. I keep a box of kid sized masks by WeCare that he can wear but there's no extra room. https://www.amazon.com/WeCare-Dispos.../dp/B08FL7QW9F DD really likes these when she doesn't need the protection of the Bluna.

I know these aren't cloth but I've given up and figure I'll support whichever masks they prefer at this point.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

crn is offline Bronze level (10+ posts)

The size medium Enro ones fit my almost 13 year old well (and me as well). We also got some plastic ear loop adjusters from Amazon that help improve the fit of some of the other masks that don’t already come with the toggle.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My DDs (13) wear the Athleta adult pleated masks. I do feel like these masks run a bit smaller than most other adult cloth masks. They are 3 layers and VERY comfy but be warned that all 3 layers are VERY thin, and that the nose wire sucks especially bad if you wear glasses (if he doesn't wear glasses and it bothers him and you're willing to, you can remove it - it's a thin strip of "moldable" plastic and if you're patient you can work it out from between the top stitches.)

Because the layers are so thin, I'm only OK with my DD2 wearing the Athleta masks to our mask-optional-in-TX school with a surgical mask inserted inside (I hacked it). Just to give you an idea of how thin I feel these layers are But 3 layers IS good (and they combine a synthetic outer layer with 2 inner layers of 100% cotton). And the ear loops are adjustable. These masks fit both of my 13yos, and my DD1 is REALLY petite. DD1 prefers an adult KN95 by the way and those ear loops can be easily tightened by tying a little knot, or even by getting the silicone toggles from Amazon.

The Dr. Puri size Medium KF94s noted above would be a great choice. They fit my smallish face, though I can also wear the size L by adjusting the earloops. I agree that of the KF94 brands from BeHealthyUSA, the Dr. Puri felt the softest.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast