Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Tell me about your WEEKEND routine!

I don’t think we all need BIG houses but there’s a trade off if you are spending hours per week trying to make what you have work. I agree that many US homes are really, really big and most of us could- and have- gotten by with smaller. There has to be buy in from the family though so one person isn’t trying to keep it all going.
    Eta- as many of us know- layout matters more than square footage. Big houses can be harder to organize than some smaller ones that may simply use their space more efficiently.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by SnuggleBuggles; 09-21-2021 at 06:07 PM.

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Are you ok with your husband checking out on Saturdays? Early on my DH was the same way. It was easier and quicker to do everything myself. I eventually reached the tipping point and realized I wasn’t utilizing him because it was a lot of work to include him in the mix. He’s now on weekend duty just like I am. Sharing the load is much easier.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I don’t think we all need BIG houses but there’s a trade off if you are spending hours per week trying to make what you have work. I agree that many US homes are really, really big and most of us could- and have- gotten by with smaller. There has to be buy in from the family though so one person isn’t trying to keep it all going.
    Eta- as many of us know- layout matters more than square footage. Big houses can be harder to organize than some smaller ones that may simply use their space more efficiently.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    A small house forces you to make decisions to throw away versus keep. You also have to constantly work to keep it clean and tidy. A big house allows you to shove the mess off to the side and not deal with it immediately. BUT you eventually have to deal with it. And if you put it off too long, it’s an overwhelming monster to organize and clean. Both size house have their pros and cons.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by jgenie View Post
    Are you ok with your husband checking out on Saturdays? Early on my DH was the same way. It was easier and quicker to do everything myself. I eventually reached the tipping point and realized I wasn’t utilizing him because it was a lot of work to include him in the mix. He’s now on weekend duty just like I am. Sharing the load is much easier.
    Yeah. It has been a source of stress and discontent for years for me. It has gotten better...mostly because the kids are older so they are easier for me to manage. DH is not an unwilling partner but he's honestly always overwhelmed with his own stuff and is an unreliable helper. He's gotten better over the years. His desire to help is big but he's one of my neediest ones right now. A big part of my calculus is trying to make a Saturday that serves his needs too. I think what works best is for me to let him do his thing. Planning ahead doesn't work. He even gets defensive when I try to make a schedule for him (I probably annoy the heck out of him, lol, with my scheduling!) He helps when he can. Often he'll work on a project that overall makes our family life better. Like buying planting boxes for the backyard. Maybe not what I would have planned but it is his way of reaching out. I honestly see DH as part of my group that I have to urge, inspire and entertain along with my kids. I don't think having another conversation about this will help at this point. He's struggling a lot more than I am. So I'm trying to work WITH him instead of against him to find some kind of synergy!

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    Yeah. It has been a source of stress and discontent for years for me. It has gotten better...mostly because the kids are older so they are easier for me to manage. DH is not an unwilling partner but he's honestly always overwhelmed with his own stuff and is an unreliable helper. He's gotten better over the years. His desire to help is big but he's one of my neediest ones right now. A big part of my calculus is trying to make a Saturday that serves his needs too. I think what works best is for me to let him do his thing. Planning ahead doesn't work. He even gets defensive when I try to make a schedule for him (I probably annoy the heck out of him, lol, with my scheduling!) He helps when he can. Often he'll work on a project that overall makes our family life better. Like buying planting boxes for the backyard. Maybe not what I would have planned but it is his way of reaching out. I honestly see DH as part of my group that I have to urge, inspire and entertain along with my kids. I don't think having another conversation about this will help at this point. He's struggling a lot more than I am. So I'm trying to work WITH him instead of against him to find some kind of synergy!
    Don’t discount taking time during the week to recharge your batteries.

Don’t discount taking time during the week to recharge your batteries.
    Thank you. I might get to that point soon. I have a big audit for one of my jobs (it is a once a year thing and its coming in fast and hard!) so I haven't had any fluff time since the kids went back to school. Maybe I can figure out a better balance once that passes!

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    A small house forces you to make decisions to throw away versus keep. You also have to constantly work to keep it clean and tidy. A big house allows you to shove the mess off to the side and not deal with it immediately. BUT you eventually have to deal with it. And if you put it off too long, it’s an overwhelming monster to organize and clean. Both size house have their pros and cons.
    This is kind of where I go most of the time. I DO think that maybe a little bit more space would give us a little more breathing room literally and also figuratively! But I know that what I'm doing to purge, straighten and organize would help no matter how much space we had! I remember reading somewhere that the ideal (or maybe minimum?) is 300 square feet per person. We have 200 so a bit shy of that! Thank goodness we like each other, most of the time.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    Lizzy— could I get a copy of those checklists. It will be a fight to get started with DD2, but it could help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lizzy - I would love a copy of your checklists!
    Check your PMs; I'm sending the Google Drive link. If you use Google Drive, simply save a copy to your own Drive and edit accordingly; if you don't, download a copy in MS Word-compatible format (*docx) and edit accordingly.

I hope they help!
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

diamond is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    Check your PMs; I'm sending the Google Drive link. If you use Google Drive, simply save a copy to your own Drive and edit accordingly; if you don't, download a copy in MS Word-compatible format (*docx) and edit accordingly.

I hope they help!

Can I please have the lists too. Thank you

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by diamond View Post
    Can I please have the lists too. Thank you
    Me too please! DS2's therapist asked me to set up something similar so I'd love the help!!

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast