Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

I’ll say this as someone who grew up in Europe with the small homes mentioned. My friends have managed living in 1,500 homes as families of 4-8 people! One thing I’ve noticed is that they generally have had lot less STUFF which isn’t a bad thing. As OP said it helps the planet, and also like gatorsmom said you have to deal with the excess one way or other whether it’s immediate due to small space or later in life. That is my struggle with mom as we were the exception among my friends living in 2,000 sq feet home as just two of us. It just led to 40 plus years of stuff she hadn’t really gone through yet.

I’m a big believer in making your life EASY any way you can and however it works for your family. If you’re finding that you & kids are having to reorganize stuff all the time every week, it tells you that maybe you guys just have too much stuff? The art stuff kids bring home? Use keepy app and take photos of them and throw it out. That way it’s all kept digitally!!!! Same thing with photos. Don’t keep it in photos boxes. Only keep few Shutterfly books of best & memorable family photos. It’s what I did.

Having less physical books helped us a lot. I know you’re a family of vorvarious readers. Consider buying each kids their kindle books and download library books to their kindles. I would tell you to move into a house with better layout & little more sq footage but I also know it’s not as easy to do that in Southern CA though! You made a good point of saying by time you’ve saved for a house, it’ll be college time for most of your kids. So why bother? Hence the focus is really focus and think hard on the stuff you guys have and be more intentional of bringing stuff into the house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by PunkyBoo View Post
    Me too please! DS2's therapist asked me to set up something similar so I'd love the help!!

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
    Liszywednesday, if you don’t mind, me too please! I think they might be helpful for Ds3 who needs more weekend structure too.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

we don't usually have a strict routine. and of course with covid our routine has changed.
    Saturdays we try to get a lot of errands and laundry done. Go out to eat for lunch. Often times in the mornings i either go to Pure Barre or do the Peloton.
    though today since weather's nice i instead took kids for a 45min bike ride. Some weekends we do try to do fun things like go to the zoo , or see a movie but of course not as much now due to covid.

i use a planner and plan out key things to do saturday and sunday. that helps me a lot.

i would say the #1 piece of advice i would give if you want to be more productive on weekends (whether it's have more family time /activities or do more work ) - don't sleep in and wake up at same time every day. I sleep so much better and am sooooo much more productive when i wake up before 6 (same time during the week). on weekends i sometimes sleep in til 630. DS and DD get up before 7, regardless of school. Sometimes DD sleeps iin till 730 but it's rare. We all sleep so much better and are so much more productive when we wake up at same time every single day. even though DS school doesn't start at 8:25, he's awake at 630 and i drop him off at school at 730. i'm grateful bc it's makes things os much easier.

i took a yoga class that explained the ayurvedic princicples and concept of doshas and i SWEAR there is something to that!! If i sleep in past 6, i feel sluggish the rest of the day. the same is for my son. i'd say the hardest part is not getting up early, but going to bed early!

if i'm super busy period with work (like right now), i do work but only on Sunday mornings. i use saturday to totally decompress from work and focus on family/house stuff. Otherwise i will get burned out and be less efficient. On Sunday if needed i will work from 6am-8:30am on work stuff. For the first hour no one else is awake and making noise and then even after that they're quietly watching youtube or something so it's easier to focus. and i feel like i'm so much more productive and can stay focused. then i feel like i have the rest of the day to do whatever needed. i've talked to several other moms at my kids school and they have shifted their work hours similarly (early in the morning).
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 09-25-2021 at 11:14 PM.

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I’m exhausted reading all your posts! If I get one chore done, a couple of meals cooked and the dogs out for one or two long walks I think I am a goddess. I avoid grocery shopping of the weekends. My kids haven’t been in weekend sports for years. Of course I used to work just bout every other weekend up to 4 years ago, so they took me out of the “I must do something this weekend” mindset. As far as the kids, I guess I shout out half heartedly to do some chores or get their homework done. Beyond that they can do what they want. Sleep to noon, fine. Honestly, I don’t know. How you all do it.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6