Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Pfizer will submit EUA for under 12!

I’m excited!

YLE estimates vax for ages 5-11 will be ready by Halloween.
    Last edited by KpbS; 09-20-2021 at 07:31 AM.
    K

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

This is such fabulous news and I really hope it works out that way! I haven't been following as closely but the longer we go with the Delta variant and with eligible people who won't get vaccinated, the higher and higher the risks are for the kiddos who aren't eligible. This should affect the risk:benefit analysis. Fingers crossed toes crossed.....

We are so excited!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

This great! That said, I still don't know what makes sense for us. The CNN story says: Pfizer said the levels compared well with older people who received the larger dose, demonstrating a "strong immune response in this cohort of children one month after the second dose." So kids won't be considered fully vaxxed until four weeks out instead of two?

If the 5-11 dosage is available on Halloween (which I know is a best guess), DS will be two or three week past his 12th before before he's considered fully vaccinated. And didn't someone on her say that child was unable to take part in a trial because they would turn 12 during the time period? Aaaaghhh!
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by carolinacool View Post
    This great! That said, I still don't know what makes sense for us. The CNN story says: Pfizer said the levels compared well with older people who received the larger dose, demonstrating a "strong immune response in this cohort of children one month after the second dose." So kids won't be considered fully vaxxed until four weeks out instead of two?

If the 5-11 dosage is available on Halloween (which I know is a best guess), DS will be two or three week past his 12th before before he's considered fully vaccinated. And didn't someone on her say that child was unable to take part in a trial because they would turn 12 during the time period? Aaaaghhh!

I don't think that's the case. I think it will still be two weeks post second vax. DS2 is in the study. The took blood one month post second vaccination, which is why I'm sure it says "strong response one month after the second dose."

I'm excited to see this EUA because only 450 kids in the study had their blood drawn. DS was not one of them, so I wasn't sure how the data would be enough to file for the EUA since they didn't test every kid in the study. It also makes me feel good about DS's protection because I'm pretty sure he got the real vaccination.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

1 month post-second dose was just (one of) the pre-specified timepoint in which they looked at immune response in the study. The scheduling will be the same (2nd dose 21 days after first, and considered fully vaccinated 2 weeks after 2nd dose).
    Last edited by twowhat?; 09-20-2021 at 10:29 AM.

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I have a January kiddo and I was wondering about the difference in dosage too. My DS is small for his age so ultimately we’ll get him a shot as soon as he’s eligible rather than waiting till he turns 12 for the adult dosage.

Another parent of an 11 year old. But not turning 12 until the spring, so I will be scheduling as soon as possible.

A birthday to be 12 this winter would make it a trickier decision.

Completely petty in the big picture of all of this, but we have a many times rescheduled show our family wants to attend in January 2022. The local venue is requiring vaccinations for everyone attending, so having the youngest join the other four of us will be great.

So excited to get my three kids vaccinated! No more quarantines! My 2yo will be awhile but at least I can get a booster soon (healthcare worker) and she's still breastfeeding. I am more hesitant to vaccinate her anyway. My kids are some of the only ones that wear masks at their schools and I told them it's ok if they stop once they are vaccinated so they'll be happy too. (I know not everyone agrees with that but I figure I'm lucky they actually wear their masks in school- at least I think they do- anyway. And it wouldn't shock me if some of them keep wearing it anyway.)
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

Quote Originally Posted by belovedgandp View Post

A birthday to be 12 this winter would make it a trickier decision.
    Definitely.

I just want to make sure he receives the dosage that gives him the longest-lasting immunity. Pfizer has already shown that it wanes after several months, perhaps quicker than Moderna, so that's my concern.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast