Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Kindra178 View Post
    I hope mass vaccination of this group is worth it.
    Are you thinking it won’t be? Having an unvaccinated child I have been waiting with baited breath for this. I’m honestly wondering why someone wouldn’t be excited. If someone doesn’t want their child vaccinated, they don’t have to get the vaccine.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    Worth what? They've already lost so much. To me, it's the ticket back so much closer to normalcy. No masks in school, no fraught wondering if so-and-so's parents will let them have a playdate or if they think you're dangerous. No more multiday quarantines waiting for test results for minor symptoms, no more hard stares when your kid coughs, no more anxiety about missing work for 2 weeks when your kid says "mom, my throat is sore". And ability to travel to places where vaccination is or will be required. Worth it to me.
    All of this for me too! My oldest is 10.5 so def worth getting it for them instead of waiting and trying to follow best practice where rules seem to change constantly.

Just the fact I can bring them to more options as far entertainment and travel really helps to feel more normalcy for us. We only have so many finite years of kids living at home with us, so the knowledge of how we lost 2 years of air travel for us was really hard. I don’t want to wait with life passing us by and missing more family opportunities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

Worth what? They've already lost so much. To me, it's the ticket back so much closer to normalcy. No masks in school, no fraught wondering if so-and-so's parents will let them have a playdate or if they think you're dangerous. No more multiday quarantines waiting for test results for minor symptoms, no more hard stares when your kid coughs, no more anxiety about missing work for 2 weeks when your kid says "mom, my throat is sore". And ability to travel to places where vaccination is or will be required. Worth it to me.
    Same. More and more places are starting to require either proof of vaccination or a negative test from within the past 48 or 72 hours. We don't have any plans to go anywhere with those requirements, but I would be pulling my hair out right now if I had to track down testing and try to time it correctly. Testing around here is still crazy.

Several news sites locally and regionally have posted the story today and the comments are overwhelming "Not my kids!" But anti-vaxxer tends to be louder in the comments in general.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

Kindra178 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by jgenie View Post
    Are you thinking it won’t be? Having an unvaccinated child I have been waiting with baited breath for this. I’m honestly wondering why someone wouldn’t be excited. If someone doesn’t want their child vaccinated, they don’t have to get the vaccine.

I'm worried about myocarditis.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

But they can get that from catching covid too.

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    Worth it to me for totally different reasons. I just think we owed it to the kids to have some protection before all the adults decide they're just "sick of it". I think it will make a big difference. I wonder if parents of even younger kids are still feeling a little left behind? Would love to hear their perspective. Being "left behind" with younger kids makes me want to make sure that I'm attentive to the needs of all the groups.
    Yes, exactly! And I am feeling both excitement that this is on the horizon for my 7 year old, and dread that it is still further away for my 4 year old. I can completely understand why some parents lied about their 11 year olds age to get them vaccinated. I can’t say I wouldn’t be tempted if I thought my 4 year old could pass for 5.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

Myira is online now Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Was myocarditis not a concern for 12-15? What makes it any different for this age group? I’m genuinely trying to understand.

DD 10/2008
    DS 09/2011

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I think the problem is that it’s either vaccination or infection. There’s no more option of “we will just be careful until this thing goes away”. This is the mistake that a lot of vaccine hesitant people in my sphere are making. They don’t think the vaccine has chips, they agree that COVID is worse than vaccine side effects and risk, they just think they prob won’t get COVID since they didn’t get it in the first two waves.

And I would be really surprised if it turned out that vaccination caused more/worse myocarditis (or MIS-C) than COVID infection.

Kindra178 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Myira View Post
    Was myocarditis not a concern for 12-15? What makes it any different for this age group? I’m genuinely trying to understand.

Tremendous concern. 1/22,000.

Follow Vinay Prasad and Monica Gandhi on Twitter.
    Last edited by Kindra178; 09-20-2021 at 05:57 PM.

robinsmommy is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I think the problem is that it’s either vaccination or infection. There’s no more option of “we will just be careful until this thing goes away”. This is the mistake that a lot of vaccine hesitant people in my sphere are making. They don’t think the vaccine has chips, they agree that COVID is worse than vaccine side effects and risk, they just think they prob won’t get COVID since they didn’t get it in the first two waves.

And I would be really surprised if it turned out that vaccination caused more/worse myocarditis (or MIS-C) than COVID infection.
    What she said.

Everything I read is that the myocarditis from the vaccine is very treatable and improves quickly- Most of the epi’s I read feel the disease is much riskier than any vax side effects. And given the numbers I see recently of 6-10% of kids getting long COVID, and that with Delta, it’s get the vax or get COVID, I’m all for my niece getting vaxed.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast