SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Covid contact tracing frustrations

Ds2's after school activity has been quarantined for 10 days because someone tested + and is refusing to comply with contact tracing. Since they can't ID the contacts the whole program suffers. That is some BS if you ask me. I told the director that the compliance provision needs to be added to the handbook rules they agree to.

That's annoying! Why would anyone decline to name the contacts?!
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

That stinks!

Quote Originally Posted by carolinacool View Post
    That's annoying! Why would anyone decline to name the contacts?!
    You can’t figure out who’s sick if everyone stays home.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

On the "bright side", everyone knows who it is. So the kids are figuring the close contact part amongst themselves but the director's hands are tied. I can't believe that a part of the community would take this stance. Parents are really, really ticked.

bisous is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    On the "bright side", everyone knows who it is. So the kids are figuring the close contact part amongst themselves but the director's hands are tied. I can't believe that a part of the community would take this stance. Parents are really, really ticked.
    Wait...is your DS2 having to endure quarantine because of their refusal? Unbelievable! I would think everyone would be super mad.

Percycat is online now Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I'm surprised the school is relying on the student to report close contacts. I would have expected the school to be accountable.... at least that is how it seems reports are happening at DD's schools. The kids don't have free reign and are expected to be somewhere an adult is supervising -- who would be expected to report for contact tracing.

It really is interesting to see the different school and community protocols.

I'm sorry your DS is having to miss out on activity because of lack of reliable tracing information. I hope he wasn't a close contact and doesn't get sick.

Quote Originally Posted by Percycat View Post
    I'm surprised the school is relying on the student to report close contacts. I would have expected the school to be accountable.... at least that is how it seems reports are happening at DD's schools. The kids don't have free reign and are expected to be somewhere an adult is supervising -- who would be expected to report for contact tracing.

It really is interesting to see the different school and community protocols.

I'm sorry your DS is having to miss out on activity because of lack of reliable tracing information. I hope he wasn't a close contact and doesn't get sick.
    The spread was at an after school activity. I'm sure there's the school component too. The superintendent put it on lockdown. I don't really know what the school day policy is for contact tracing. I think it's a bit of a mess though because, while it's easy for the younger grades, the open seating for lunch complicates things- kids are basically playing musical chairs at lunch.

Vaccinated Ds2 doesn't hang out with that person at all so not worried. But scheduling a test, as required.

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    Wait...is your DS2 having to endure quarantine because of their refusal? Unbelievable! I would think everyone would be super mad.
    Luckily he goes to a different school. We live in the district so he is able to participate in the activity. The kids in the district have to quarantine. Ds2 just misses the activity. If he were at close contact or had symptoms we would isolate til he got tested/results back. But, it's a big activity and their spheres don't cross. But, the parents in the district are super mad. They have to rearrange school, work and figure out testing. And the kids are bummed to miss their activity. It's super frustrating- and should be avoidable.

Percycat is online now Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    The spread was at an after school activity. I'm sure there's the school component too. The superintendent put it on lockdown. I don't really know what the school day policy is for contact tracing. I think it's a bit of a mess though because, while it's easy for the younger grades, the open seating for lunch complicates things- kids are basically playing musical chairs at lunch.

Vaccinated Ds2 doesn't hang out with that person at all so not worried. But scheduling a test, as required.
    Interesting....
    As a reference, my DD is a Jr. in High School. She has assigned seats at lunch. After school clubs have a roster and assigned seats. Most of the athletic programs are assuming kids are not within 6ft for 15 minutes -- although coaches make individual determinations. Quarentine within the band program affects a band section. We have quarentine and modified quarentine. If students were wearing masks and/or have full vacination, then they have modified quarentine and are allowed to attend school, but can't participate in extracurricuarls.

Quote Originally Posted by Percycat View Post
    Interesting....
    As a reference, my DD is a Jr. in High School. She has assigned seats at lunch. After school clubs have a roster and assigned seats. Most of the athletic programs are assuming kids are not within 6ft for 15 minutes -- although coaches make individual determinations. Quarentine within the band program affects a band section. We have quarentine and modified quarentine. If students were wearing masks and/or have full vacination, then they have modified quarentine and are allowed to attend school, but can't participate in extracurricuarls.
    I'm not 100% sure what procedures are in place but I know that the last time they were together, they had a very a-typical experience so kids were extra mixed up.