klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Another teacher gone

So far, the school still hasn't officially contacted us, but DD1 just lost her math teacher. We've had issues with this teacher the entire time this year, but she apparently decided that teaching eighth graders just wasn't for her and has switched to teach seventh grade science instead. Not a huge issue. Hopefully we can get someone in here soon. BUT, this is Math 1, a high school level course. So now we miss several weeks of actual instruction while waiting to get a teacher in place.

At least it's not to her 6th grade levels where we lost her science teacher, her math teacher (twice!!!) and her chorus teacher all in the span of a single year, prior to COVID messing up the last half of the year. Please oh please oh please don't let it get to 6th grade levels again...
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

So annoying when people quit during the year. We’ve had 5 quit since august and some retired teachers told me the new principal is mean. We’ve experienced it, and we’re feeling the “newness” of first year teachers for sure. Hope your DD gets a new teacher fast! I’m hoping to get up to speed with Math 1 concepts myself to assist my 8th grader. His teacher didn’t do an open house video, has no syllabus posted, doesn’t grade homework, and when I asked my kid to do 3 problems from class, he had no idea what to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Another teacher gone

That sucks. However my sister is a middle school teacher in a very well thought of stem school in the Sacramento area and the last two years have been crazy for her. She teaches 7th grade as part of a team (English, History, Science and Math) an usually prefers to English only, but last year also had to teach History because their academy needed to be restructured. This year their math teacher is taking a leave of absence and so they hired a new science teacher and the old science teacher is teaching math. It is crazy and she says the next few years will probably be the same. It is all about the numbers as well. If a vaccine mandate happens in her district she is sure there will be an increase of kids who will be homeschooled instead; last years numbers were also affected by the amount of kids who chose an online only option which isn’t available this year.

Also my sister says teaching isn’t the same. While she isn’t giving up teaching but I am sure teaching 8th grade math in 2019-2020 is not the same as it is now. I know this is the BP but other kids are going to behind as well. Kids will still be getting into top notch math and science programs at top colleges 5-7 years down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

I hope a new teacher is in place quickly!

When my co-worker's son was in second-grade, he ended up having three teachers. (This was the year before Covid.) The first teacher moved to a state-level education job and left in December, I think. Then her son ended up having a long-term sub, who apparently wasn't very good. The new permanent teacher came aboard in early March, maybe? I think she ended up being OK, but my friend was frustrated about how herky-jerky her son's year was. And then Covid hit the next school year.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Yes I think Covid is messing everything up right now in regards to lack of new teachers to hire, teachers retiring early, burnout, etc.

My son is 7th grade and currently has no science teacher, which none of us parents even knew about until back-to-school night last week! They are doing an online science program overseen by their advisory teacher! His history teacher all of a sudden needs surgery and is now on a 4 week medical leave. There wasn't enough 7th graders who tested into algebra 1 to make a separate class (and can't mix cohorts due to Covid) so now those 6 kids are doing an online algebra curriculum overseen by their regular math teacher. So yes, things seem unusually chaotic this year but DS2 seems fine and we're all just happy he's physically going to school. The bar is low!

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Oh man. I haven't personally seen this yet. But my sister in Northern VA has lost a lot of colleagues. She works in ESOL and said that her department and Special Ed are particularly hard hit. Of course those are the areas that need good dedicated teachers the most. It is really hard!

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'm sorry to hear this. My son still has a sub, but it is just for PE, so it's not a big deal.

Teacher shortages are a huge issue. My district is already short thousands of teachers, and it will get worse come October 15th, because anyone not vaccinated will have to take an unpaid leave. There are currently thousands of district staff that will not be getting vaccinated.

I've never seen teacher shortages this bad. We also have a huge shortage of substitutes. Last Friday over 700 substitute requests went unfilled.

This is what happens when teachers are constantly disrespected and not paid well. We take the blame for all that is wrong with education. Teachers are quitting and retiring in droves. There are very few college students going into teaching programs. It will only continue to get worse.

Quote Originally Posted by PZMommy View Post

I've never seen teacher shortages this bad. We also have a huge shortage of substitutes. Last Friday over 700 substitute requests went unfilled.

This is what happens when teachers are constantly disrespected and not paid well. We take the blame for all that is wrong with education. Teachers are quitting and retiring in droves. There are very few college students going into teaching programs. It will only continue to get worse.
    Totally agree. So little support for teachers. It’s completely exhausting and they are indeed leaving in droves.

Quote Originally Posted by PZMommy View Post
    I'm sorry to hear this. My son still has a sub, but it is just for PE, so it's not a big deal.

Teacher shortages are a huge issue. My district is already short thousands of teachers, and it will get worse come October 15th, because anyone not vaccinated will have to take an unpaid leave. There are currently thousands of district staff that will not be getting vaccinated.

I quit teaching middle school reading in Oct of the year our daughter died. Her death gave me a good excuse but the job was pure hell. Still in October I didn't have textbooks or a classroom set of novels so was pulling stuff randomly out every.single.day. for three different grades/classes. I never looked back. I can only imagine the crap teachers are dealing with now although I still wish my kids teachers would freaking wear masks,etc.

I'm glad we aren't the only ones with teacher upheaval although thankfully none yet this year. Hopefully this forces our country to look at teacher pay and restructure some things. They definitely definitely do not make enough and I can't blame the ones who quit.
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Teachers I love you so much! This global pandemic has made me appreciate you even more. I mean a place my kids can go and not only be safe but also totally enriched and edified and entertained! You guys are a dream and I got to learn exactly what life without is like and it is not great. I'm sorry it has been so hard for you. Thank you to those of you who are persevering! I can see why the teachers leave but your value is also the reason why your absence makes it so difficult! So I am sympathetic to the OP too!