Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    Go to a meeting…..even an online meeting. You don’t know anyone from your church who has a kid who goes there? We still don’t know a ton of people at either school but just popping into a zoom meeting occasionally helps with recognition and there are often ideas on how to get involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I do know some people through my church. I will have to see how to connect with them (they're not in my congregation but they are friends/acquaintances). I feel pretty involved in the smaller kids elementary school. The HS is so big! It is hard to connect. I will see what I can do.

ged is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    Solid advice and great points. I got riled up and self-righteous wanting information but you're responses are spot on for several of my issues!
    agree - good perspective - but bisous, I'm with you and personally have no qualms about emailing with my list questions. It's their job. I've had to be the squeaky wheel a lot recently, otherwise, the information doesn't get passed along/the covid protocols are not enforced/etc. I realize it takes some emotional bandwidth to take these things on, and I am learning to pick my battles, but I also feel I need to advocate/clarify...depending on the situation.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    The director is emailing me though! And DS2 can't drive so how can I commit MY time to something without a clear picture of what's going on? I figure if she wants my money she can give me the info! But that's why I wonder if I'm being pushy? How else does one get such info? Is it really strange to have parents ask?
    I think you are right to be direct. It’s not pushy, you just want answers to your questions. I understand that in high school kids should be handling this for themselves but there are exceptions. For me those exceptions would be where a lot of driving needs to be done and the child can’t drive themselves. Also when they are asking the parents for a lot of money. I’m sorry, but if the school wants my money and for me to drive my kid a bunch of places, I need answers. Especially for you with a big family (I understand this completely). In order fir you to make this class fit into your family calendar, they need to be clear. I wouldn’t pay until I got my questions answered.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ged View Post
    agree - good perspective - but bisous, I'm with you and personally have no qualms about emailing with my list questions. It's their job. I've had to be the squeaky wheel a lot recently, otherwise, the information doesn't get passed along/the covid protocols are not enforced/etc. I realize it takes some emotional bandwidth to take these things on, and I am learning to pick my battles, but I also feel I need to advocate/clarify...depending on the situation.
    If you can take on being the squeaky wheel, it could benefit the parents less inclined to do that so
    I think my biggest advice is to always do what you can to find info- websites, other parents, social media, your kid… to minimize communications with the director. I think even better is to ask your kiddo to ask the director for the info.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    If you can take on being the squeaky wheel, it could benefit the parents less inclined to do that so
    I think my biggest advice is to always do what you can to find info- websites, other parents, social media, your kid… to minimize communications with the director. I think even better is to ask your kiddo to ask the director for the info.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    I agree that finding other sources for information is the way to go when you can. In this case I've searched in vain for websites explaining the program (apparently there are four levels of orchestras at the school but this is not found anywhere on their website!) The HS counselor advised me to contact the director so she's the portal for all information!

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    I think you are right to be direct. It’s not pushy, you just want answers to your questions. I understand that in high school kids should be handling this for themselves but there are exceptions. For me those exceptions would be where a lot of driving needs to be done and the child can’t drive themselves. Also when they are asking the parents for a lot of money. I’m sorry, but if the school wants my money and for me to drive my kid a bunch of places, I need answers. Especially for you with a big family (I understand this completely). In order fir you to make this class fit into your family calendar, they need to be clear. I wouldn’t pay until I got my questions answered.
    Yes to all this. I don't see a problem with reaching out, especially if you feel like you have tried unsuccessfully to find the info elsewhere. I wouldn't just fork over a voluntary $100 without some clear answers because we are not rich.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

I'd have no problem emailing the director for clarification, especially if the email came from them.
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

erosenst is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Just as a data point - this sounds like choir classes at DD's school. Amount that we have to pay varies by choir and level, as does travel. Volunteer time isn't required but is "highly encouraged" (and minimal). The teacher may assume this is "known" somehow - but I will say I was surprised by the fee the first year.

Having said that - there are a number of emails and meetings to explain all of this - so I wouldn't hesitate to email the director if that hasn't been done.

Not out of line to email the director, especially if he is already emailing you with requests. I wonder if things are up in the air more than normal because of Covid and the uncertainty of what will be available and allowed for the students. Does the teacher use a different communication method such as remind? I've been left out of those loops before and only realized they exist when it feels I'm missing information about a program. At the high school level, DS1 usually can clue me in to these things but I have to ask him. He never mentions it on his own.

DS1 plays on a high school sports team. I know it's slightly different but there is a parent coordinating the donation and volunteer needs. Any chance this director has a parent volunteer to help that could provide more details? It gets harder and harder when kids are older. Teachers communicate less and rely on kids to relay the message but it's a big step for them to remember.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

Thanks all. I did send an email out (pared down my questions a little) mostly to reach out and see if there is any other information out there! I don't need my hand held. I figure other parents probably have questions too?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast