Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default COVID19 and superimmunity

On Sunday night a doctor friend in our local COVID19 Surge unit was chatting about how her colleagues were discussing the new studies showing superimmunity for people who have had Covid and the Moderna vaccination. She specifically said Moderna is looking like the most effective of the vaccines although she hasn’t yet read indepth the specifics that make that one the winner. But the combination of Moderna and a previous case of COVID19 is giving people a superimmunity to all the variants.

This article states that most mRNA vaccinations + antibodies are creating the super immunity. We discuss all things COVID19 here so I wondered if anyone else here had heard this interesting new discovery.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

essnce629 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Yes, they talked about this on TWIV several episodes back. And the possibility of getting the vaccine and then coming into contact with Covid being a natural "booster" to immunity. But yes, current studies show that natural infection plus vaccine provides the most robust immune response of all.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Any idea why Moderna is as mentioned as the most effective of the vaccines? I haven’t seen that mentioned anywhere. But I trust the knowledge my doctor friend has is solid. Just wonder where shoes getting it from. Our family all got Pfizer vaccinations.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    Any idea why Moderna is as mentioned as the most effective of the vaccines? I haven’t seen that mentioned anywhere. But I trust the knowledge my doctor friend has is solid. Just wonder where shoes getting it from. Our family all got Pfizer vaccinations.
    There was a recent study that showed that Moderna came out on top...I think it was for sustained immune response? I'm going to get it wrong but this way someone can chime in and correct me. It was just in the news.

OK, now this is just me, casual podcast listener pondering on the questions...way back at the beginning of all this I remember hearing Alan Dove on TWIV talk about the different vaccines that were still being tested, how they were made and what was the proposed mechanism. The Pfizer and Moderna were similar but if I remember correctly the Pfizer just used part of the spike protein and Moderna used a larger portion?? I could totally have that wrong. I don't know how to go back and find that discussion. I remember the TWIV people thinking initially (this is before ANY data was published) that it would seem like Moderna's approach would be more robust than Pfizer. Anyone else recall this discussion? Alan had just attended some kind of seminar that went over the different approaches that the various pharma companies were taking in their vaccines. Fascinating discussion!

California is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

If I remember right, Moderna contains more mRNA (messenger RNA - it tells the protein producers in our cells what to make,) so more cells create the spike protein, and you get a bigger immune system response.

ETA: In the past three weeks, I’ve now been in the classroom with two students who testes positive (both are fine) so I’m very hopeful that my immunity is getting a big boost from all this exposure!
    Last edited by California; 09-21-2021 at 04:03 PM.

essnce629 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I think studies show that the Moderna vaccine caused the highest antibody levels of all the vaccines but TWIV is very quick to reiterate that so far there is NO research that actually says what this means. That there are so far no studies that show high antibody levels lead to decreases in severe disease, hospitalizations, or death. And that antibody levels with ALL vaccines decrease over time, as that's normal, and that doesn't mean they are less effective. Vaccines are not just about antibodies as T-cell response is also extremely important and is probably why hospitalizations and deaths are not increasing among vaccinated individuals even with waning antibodies. TWIV has said all along, that for this reason, there is currently no good research proving that booster shots are needed for the general population.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

robinsmommy is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Moderna has a bigger dose AND has the 4 week vs 3 week gap between- most vaxes have a bigger gap than 3 weeks.

Yes I've heard this discussed several places. It looks like vaccinated + Covid infection creates the best immunity, or highest antibody levels anyway. I always wonder if I've been exposed to low levels of Covid somewhere but not enough to become infected. I'm not going to any Covid parties but if it incidentally happens, I hope it acts like a booster. Not sure that makes sense but it crosses my mind. Moderna has 3 times the mRNA dose as Pfizer so it's speculated that's why it's provoking a larger immune response along with a slightly longer time between doses. Almost makes me want a Moderna booster instead of Pfizer when the time comes.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

Yes, I believe that, if Moderna is more effective, it is because of the longer period between the doses.
    DD '06
    DD '14

In fact, a longer stretch between doses than 28 days might be even better for immunological response.
    DD '06
    DD '14

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast