Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Overnight school trips in Covid era

15 yr. old DD1 came home with details and a permission slip for a band/orchestra trip for the high school students. They are planning on going to Williamsburg and Norfolk, VA at the end of March 2021 on a weekend on a coach bus. While there they will have several performances and tour several naval boats, museums, a dinner cruise, and spend Sunday afternoon at Busch Gardens. It is one overnight stay at a hotel, 4 kids to a room. She wants to go and room with a good friend who is also vaccinated and whose family is very Covid cautious. She does not know who else in the music groups are vaccinated. Normally I would be OK with this sort of trip, as I attended a similar trip with my music department in high school (though I think I was a sophomore or junior, not a freshman). But with all of the uncertainty with Covid, I'm not so sure about this trip this year. They will follow all school regulations that are in place at that time. As of now, our state has a mask mandate for all inside school activities and masks are mandated on buses as they are considered public transportation. But who knows how things will be come next spring. I feel like when we were in VA and MD over Labor Day weekend, there was much better indoor masking in buildings than there is here in PA. And the staying with 4 in a hotel room is concerning to me. We haven't done hotel stays since Covid started and have only traveled with our immediate family. And eating in restaurants. DH thinks I'm crazy as he is over Covid mitigations. We are all vaccinated and none of us have health triggers, though at that point her vaccine will be almost 10 mos. old. How are other parents handling school or sports trips this year?

Ugh, I'm still wrapping my head around her wanting to attend the Homecoming Dance. The principal sent out information that it will be an entirely indoor event within two rooms in the high school (cafeteria and gym) but that with the amount of students there will little opportunity for social distancing. At least masks are required.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Ds2 is going on a 5 day long school trip in March. I have maybe like a .5% hesitation. I’m excited he gets to go on this trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

It will be fine.

mom2binsd is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

It will be fine like others have said. Let's hope by next March we won't have to even think too much about this.

We have been doing sports tournaments, with hotels since last year, DS is 15, vaxxed and had Covid from his dad. We do indoor socializing too but haven't gone back to concerts etc. This weekend is HOCO, masks at the dance, but they are going to dinner (mask mandate in our state for all stores and restaurants) but post HOCO party with some friends will be indoors, but he's been hanging out with the same group for the last year (I believe most are vaxxed).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My 5th grader's school may be going to a science camp at the beginning of Feb. It's an absolute no for me. Given his health issues, a camping trip in the mountains in February is not the best idea to start with and the risk of covid, absolutely not. I'm still doubting the district will even approve it.

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Our school decided overnight trips only allowed for sports for now. And in order to ride the bus and stay in team hotel you have to be vaccinated. If not you have to travel separately, can not be in others rooms and can only participate in athletic event (no team meals, etc). DS did go to a sports camp for his sport in August. They wore masks for everything inside and only vaccinated could go. It was all fine. They have also had a dance and homecoming is coming up. They are doing everything outside when possible or masks required inside. I wouldn’t worry about March 2022 ( I assume you mean 2022). Younger kids will be vaccinated by then and who knows what the climate will be. I would commit and hope for the best and trust it will be canceled if they decide it isn’t safe.

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I’m hoping by March it won’t be an issue. If Covid conditions haven’t improved, I wouldn’t want my child to share a room with 3 other students. We’re lucky that we are able to travel frequently as a family so my kids aren’t sad if they miss traveling with school.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I would let my vaccinated high schoolers go. I have no problem with them sharing a bus or a hotel room for any amount of time. They are healthy and have no conditions that would make them extra sick if they caught COVID19. We have plenty of room in our house to quarantine and protect Dh who is immunocompromised. But I wouldn’t want them to miss the school trips. The stats of positive cases for vaccinated people are low. They’d likely be fine.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Lots of our kids are already in activities with shared buses. For the hotel stay, have them buddy up with kids they trust and are vaccinated.

Myira is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Our middle school has postponed overnight camp to next academic year and beyond and saved everyone this dilemma and themselves the pain of planning while Covid situation is still in flux.
    Honestly I think best decision ever.

DD 10/2008
    DS 09/2011

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast