Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Our high school band is doing a large trip in March 2022. My freshman and senior are both going and I am traveling with them as a chaperone. It will be a lot of bus time and then hotel stays (boys with peers in other rooms). I'm choosing to be optimistic at this point in time. All of us are vaccinated with no other health issues.

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Myira View Post
    Our middle school has postponed overnight camp to next academic year and beyond and saved everyone this dilemma and themselves the pain of planning while Covid situation is still in flux.
    Honestly I think best decision ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Our school has done the same. I am so very grateful.

I would be comfortable planning a trip for March. I'm hopeful things will be better. However, I also know that my school district would have no problem pulling the plug if conditions don't improve dramatically. Or if conditions get better but start going back downhill.

Right now, field trips aren't allowed outside of travel for sports. However, it can change if our numbers go back down. But I don't know what that means for overnight trips since planning usually starts at the beginning of the year. I hope DS, who' in sixth grade, will be able to take a day trip somewhere in the spring. As it is, I'm still bummed that he missed his big overnight trips for fourth and fifth grade.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

smilequeen is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I would let my vaccinated kids go. They are low risk to begin with so while they could get covid, I trust that it would not be bad for them post vax. So they can go be kids. That said, I’m not upset that our school is still postponing trips.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

Quote Originally Posted by smilequeen View Post
    I would let my vaccinated kids go. They are low risk to begin with so while they could get covid, I trust that it would not be bad for them post vax. So they can go be kids. That said, I’m not upset that our school is still postponing trips.
    This is exactly where I am. I'd send my vaccinated kids because there is natural window for these trips and they are great experiences but I'm also just fine that our schools aren't planning anything for now.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

Myira is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We can only speculate how good or bad the Covid scene will be in 2022 March. It’s entirely possible for delta to wither away by then and for numbers to be low. But if something has been a constant in this pandemic, it’s that no one can predict what’s coming. If the situation is like it’s today, I’d have concerns sending my vaxxed kid. I’m not yet comfortable dining indoors or being in hotel room with non family. So unless this event was super duper important, I wouldn’t take the risk as of today. But I know you’re asking about March of next year so this level of concern may not apply then hopefully.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    DD 10/2008
    DS 09/2011

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Totally hard to say what it'll look like next Spring! If feasible (if you won't lose a deposit that you can't afford to lose for example), then I'd commit and re-evaluate when it gets closer. My gut says if she's vaccinated (and hopefully most others are as well), then go!

m4nash is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I would let my vaccinated children go on an overnight trip like you described, but I completely understand the hesitation.

We are letting our unvaccinated, 11 year old, 6th grader go on a 2 night/3 day retreat in PA with her classmates in October. They will ride a bus from MD to PA (~1.5hrs) and stay in cabins. Most activities will be outdoors and won’t require masking, and they obviously won’t be masked for meals or for sleeping. I am concerned about it, but want her to get to have this experience and she is not high risk. I also figure she will be back in school with these same kids right after they return. I will coincidentally be going on my first flight since Covid at the same time as her retreat. I am vaccinated and will be visiting with friends who are all vaccinated as well. The airplane travel does worry me though.

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

We have signed DS2 up for a trip next spring, but plan on getting the cancelation insurance just in case. We will lose a small amount if we cancel, but the majority of it will be refunded.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

JustMe is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Wow, our school district is not doing any field trips. I honestly don't know what I would do. I would want to say no, but my kids have done so much less than others and I am starting to have to let go of things for that reason, and b/c we don't know how long things will go on. (Covid would be my only reason for saying no; dd attended a very similar trip a few years ago). I don't even know what decisions to make anymore as I disagree with doing more at this point, yet I don't blame my kids for being done with doing less than others (not asking for advice, just saying where I am). Best to you and your family!

ETA: I might just pay and say yes for now, knowing I could see how things are in the Spring. I would do that even if I would lose the money.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast