liz is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Buying toiletries for donation?

DS mentioned that all the clubs at the high school are going to start a toiletry donation drive for incoming Afghan refugees into our area. I'd really like to help. Where would I get the most bang for my buck? Kind of a silly question, but we don't really buy a lot of toiletries, but when we do it's basic stuff from BJ's. That won't work since those sizes are huge! I was thinking the dollar store, but then was wondering what the quality is like? Just thinking of past dollar store issue with colgate toothpaste etc. I feel like I need those super coupon people that get 20 bottles of shampoo for a dollar lol

I would go to Dollar Tree and get a bunch of toothbrushes, deodorants, bar soap, etc. I buy Crest toothpaste from Dollar Tree all the time, and shower gel for my husband (maybe Arm & Hammer? can't remember, but it was a brand I recognized and he thinks it's fine). Also remember you're contributing toward a drive, not personally setting up specific families. So if you get a bunch of one or two things that's ok -- someone else will probably get a bunch of some different things.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gymnbomb View Post
    I would go to Dollar Tree and get a bunch of toothbrushes, deodorants, bar soap, etc. I buy Crest toothpaste from Dollar Tree all the time, and shower gel for my husband (maybe Arm & Hammer? can't remember, but it was a brand I recognized and he thinks it's fine). Also remember you're contributing toward a drive, not personally setting up specific families. So if you get a bunch of one or two things that's ok -- someone else will probably get a bunch of some different things.
    Ditto!!
    And ask around to see if you have friends with unopened hotel toiletries they might want to donate. We found a ton that way when ds1 did one of these collections

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Are you looking for travel size or regular (but not mega) sizes? I'm weird and tend to stick to brand names for toiletries. It's been a while since I looked at the dollar store, but they definitely have some brand name items, so that's a good place to start. You can also check Target and Walmart. Target has also started moving toward larger-size products, which I find annoying. At one time, the one near me had a huge bin of Colgate toothbrushes for $1. I would avoid the grocery store as I tend to find HBA items expensive there.

I think travel-size items are overpriced for what you get, but if that's what you need, Target and Walmart both have travel sections. And weirdly enough, a Bed Bath and Beyond near me that recently closed had a huge health and beauty aid section with a large travel-size aisle. Good sizes for folks who might not be completely settled yet, but definitely not the best value.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Brand-name items from a dollar store are our go-to for this. They can sometimes also be found in the clearance bin at the regular grocery store - just watch expire dates. If you have family that travels, perhaps for work - they can give the little packs from hotels, as well. (Also is a great place to buy gloves & hats for donation or just to keep in the car for extras for kids' friends without or to donate.)
    We have a box in the garage that we throw stuff in all year long - loss leaders that were a great deal at the store or free samples. Kids then donate whatever they don't use for various drives to the food bank in June when school gets out. (June is a high need/low donation time.)

klwa is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I think most of those super coupon people are working the CVS/Walgreens system. I used to do it some, but it turned into too much work, honestly.

For that to work for you, first thing you need to do is collect coupons. This can be from your paper, or friends' papers if any of you still subscribe to the print edition. Once you have those, check out the circulars at places like CVS/Walgreen. So, this week at CVS, they've got buy one get one 50% off on Dove Body Wash. If you've got coupons, you can use one on each container, so 2-$0.50 off coupons (possibly) But ALSO, if you spend $30 on certain items, including that body wash, you get $10 off your next purchase. Or if you buy 1 container of U by Kotex for $7.49 (minus any coupons), you get $3 off your next purchase. Then, you take all those "off next purchase" coupons and apply them the next week to other items that will give you an "off next purchase" coupon, etc.

By playing that game, I was able to not "pay" for toothpaste for over a year, etc., and was getting diapers for pennies on the dollar. But, like I said, it's a LOT of work to do it.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I don't often shop at the dollar store but things like Dove soap from Costco would probably be great. The bars are individually boxed and can get split up, price is good esp when on sale, and it's a top-quality product that is way better than hotel soaps and is luxurious for showers/bath...I mean it's what we use and I would feel really good donating it to families in need.

Agree with PPs to stick to brand names at the dollar store.

Clearance sections are great too - grocery, target clearance often have full sized toiletries like shampoos or hand soaps or toothpaste for $1 for a whole bottle so shop those endcaps!!