Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I took DS to get his flu shot this morning at CVS and they were not asking anything other than for card to verify it’s been 6 months for those who were there for boosters. Now they all looked 65 so maybe that was why?

I just read an article from a doctor that said many in her area were giving shots to those who were over 18, had no reaction to the first two, and asked because they felt they were safe and might as well protect those who wanted them since others weren’t doing their part. I also read another on that said those who care for those should get boosters to protect them. I wish they would put that in the “allowable” list so I could get my booster. It’s everyone for yourself around here.

ArizonaGirl is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I just got mine yesterday and so far no ill effects even though I felt pretty crappy after my second.
    I will say that if you pull up the CDC guidelines, almost everyone qualifies. BMI over 25, you qualify, hypertension you qualify. My husband is obese and has hypertension and he was given the booster, no question, they did ask for proof that I was eligible, and I showed them my hospital badge and was then given the booster.

But if these places are following the CDC guidelines, most individuals do qualify.
    Lindsey

Married to DH June 2005 gave birth to Shawn December 2008 and Lilian August 2012

jent is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Not sure.

I'm eligible because I'm a physician and work with patients, though mostly see patients in an outpatient setting for chronic issues- I'm not on the frontlines doing ER or sick visits. I work in a highly-vaxxed, low-spread (though our #'s have gone up with Delta) region. I think I'm low risk for both complications of a booster shot of the vaccine (had barely any reaction after dose 1 & 2) and for Covid.

Our ID physicians gave grand rounds (a hospital-wide talk) Covid update a week before the recommendations went out, which helped me understand the science behind the decisions being made (what basil and others wrote upthread). Namely, the booster definitely boost antibodies, but that there is a lot more to the immune response than antibodies, and it's not clear if in a person with a healthy immune system, if the booster truly helps boost immunity.

That said, I want to do my part to keep my patients safe and minimize any chance I'll be part of the spread. So, I'm waiting to see how our institution interprets the guidance.

ETA: Not sure if anyone posted upthread, but here is the link to the CDC guidance: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...ster-shot.html
    Last edited by jent; 09-26-2021 at 09:57 PM.
    Jen, mom to "Little Miss Tiny" 4/07

I was eligibile for a 3rd shot because of immunosupressant drugs and I got it as soon as I could find a day in my schedule to be "down".

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by candaceb View Post
    I was eligibile for a 3rd shot because of immunosupressant drugs and I got it as soon as I could find a day in my schedule to be "down".
    I qualify for the same reason and just scheduled mine for the middle of this week when I have the opportunity to be down for a day.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

DH is getting his in two weeks. Would’ve gotten it yesterday but found out DD2 is a close contact to a friend with Covid. Our MD recommend he wait then because on the off change DD2 ends up with Covid and he’s a contact (though vaxed) he probably wouldn’t want the possibility of vax side effects while also being Covid exposed…then you are playing the is it the vax or is it Covid game. So he got his flu shot instead and will do dose 3 in two weeks. He’s a teacher in a class with the same students all day and they are all unvaxed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

ged is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

topping

I was not really considering the booster until a few days ago, and then went ahead and got it yesterday afternoon So far I am experiencing some body aches and chills, but less severe than what i exp with my second dose. I am technically eligible bc I have mild hypertension, and minimally work in the field of emergency response (and work outside the house), but overall, healthy , 47 y.o. and not really a risk. That being said, as I considered what to do, what pushed me over the edge is that fact that I am a single mom to two kids (11 - not yet vaxxed, 16 - fully vaxxed), and as a friend said, I can benefit from any added layer of protection. I think a PP said if you care for others, if may be good to get the booster. Last night as I was second guessing my decision, I saw that Israel is now considering fully vaxxed to be the 3 doses (not just 2). Not trying to sway anyone - but just my two cents.
    Last edited by ged; 10-07-2021 at 06:34 PM.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I saw my PCP the other day and one of the first questions she asked me was whether I would consider a booster, so that made me feel less selfish about the whole thing. Her opinion was if you qualify, then go for it given that the US has the supply and not enough people wanting to be vaccinated and not enough people vaccinated to make it as safe as would be ideal for the population in general. And if you want a booster, now would be a good time before vaccination sites are wrestling with how to handle the 5-11yos.

I had the same side effects as with my 2nd shot, but it was overall a little less intense: fever of 100ish for a day, fatigue, muscle aches, chills, tender lymph nodes (Compared to my 2nd shot where I had the same side effects but more intense - shaking chills, really achy muscles, super swollen almost painfully tender lymph nodes). DH and I felt so much better having gotten our boosters that we took the whole family to see a movie in a theater for the first time in 18 months. We still opted for a Sunday morning matinee to avoid people and there were only 5 other people in the theater but wow did it feel good to do it!

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I’m scheduled for my booster next week. Scheduling DH for the following week.

My experience was similar to that of twowhat?. My PCP had the same viewpoint that there was extra supply, many open appointments and no reason to forego a booster at this point. I've talked with multiple people who felt their symptoms post booster were similar to those after shot #2 but slightly less intense. I had aches and minor chills, sore arm and tender axillary lymph nodes. I didn't take my temp but if elevated, it would have been very low grade. I'm not changing any measures I've been taking, but I do feel much better about my protection. Now to find out about J&J boosters for DH and to have the vaccine approved for 5-11 yo and I'll feel about as good as it's going to get for now.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast