Reader is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default beginning skiing for teens (East Coast)

My teens want to learn to ski, and DH and I are not winter people. Sledding has been the extent of our winter activities. Where would you go for a beginning ski vacation on the East Coast? Is there anything near/in Virginia or would we need to go further? Since they would be complete beginners I don't know how exotic it needs to be, and something with reasonably priced lesson plans would be great. Thinking of this for Winter 2022 if the world is not shut down and it is safe to travel.

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

How long for? What month?

Probably makes more sense to go further north. Look for something with a lot of green circle trails, preferably that go top to bottom (i.e. not just the small beginner lift). If you're going to go for a week, go somewhere with a nice town. Killington/Pico may work. Mt Snow, Okemo would be fine. Sunapee or Gunstock are small but cute, but maybe not much around there. We tried Attitash last year and weren't too impressed. My home mountain is Sunday River, where I and my kids learned to ski, so I'm partial to there but it's not the most nightlife.
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

WatchingThemGrow is online now Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Mine learned as early elementary kids at Wintergreen, in the Treehouse. We later did ski school lessons at the rental area and they were fine. We haven’t done Winterplace or Snowshoe but we would try those if they’re closer to you. Colorado is a must once they learn, though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Western PA and Deep Creek in MD have a lot of good beginner slopes.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We haven’t been but I’ve heard Okemo is great for families. We found Killington to be too overwhelming when we went as beginners although the town and amenities were great.

trales is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I skied snowshoe Mtn. W. Virginia while in college - they had lovely green and blue runs. If you go to NH, Cranmore, Bretton Woods, Sunapee are less steep and have more varied green/blue and longer runs and good lessons.
    Tracey

DD1 3/07 Itching to take over the universe.
    DD2 1/14 My mellow little snuggler.

Our kids learned at Wintergreen in Virginia. We were happy with the lessons that started as a group of beginners but the instructors split kids off as the day went on depending on acquired skill. It's not a bad little ski area, especially for beginners. Snowshoe is better but I'm not sure it matters for a first time trip.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

ezcc is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

My kids learned at White Tail, it's in PA not far from the MD border, they have a nice ski school there and plenty of easy trails. It's pretty small so maybe better for a long weekend. Wisp is also popular around here. I also hear people talk about Massanutten and Canaan Valley in West Virginia. Further away Seven Springs (PA) is bigger but not overwhelming. I know people love Stowe if you want to go as far as Vermont, although it might be just as easy to go out west as New England and the skiing is a lot better.