Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
    NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by sf333 View Post
    I live in a rural area in a largely rural state. DS just had a PCR done last week and it took SEVEN days to come back. The test was done at an urgent care, processed through Quest.
    What’s the point of even doing tests in that situation?? Yes, I understand the importance of tracking population trends — if anyone is looking at the data — but from an individual "what should I do?" perspective, it’s no help at all.

By contrast, there was recently a breakthrough case at my CCRC (where over 99% of residents are vacc'd). My friend got a contact-tracing call from our clinic. He was tested at 3:30 pm and received the all-clear results from his PCR before 8:30 the next morning. And that included time for the lab courier from the university health system to pick up all the various lab test samples. I know how fortunate we are here, but this really reinforced it.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by NCGrandma View Post
    What’s the point of even doing tests in that situation?? Yes, I understand the importance of tracking population trends — if anyone is looking at the data — but from an individual "what should I do?" perspective, it’s no help at all.

By contrast, there was recently a breakthrough case at my CCRC (where over 99% of residents are vacc'd). My friend got a contact-tracing call from our clinic. He was tested at 3:30 pm and received the all-clear results from his PCR before 8:30 the next morning. And that included time for the lab courier from the university health system to pick up all the various lab test samples. I know how fortunate we are here, but this really reinforced it.

Yes that is a great turnaround time. My rural county health department is only offering rapid tests 3 days a week 9-10am and by appointment only. So you can imagine with schools fully in person how quickly that 3hrs of testing slots fills up. And the NYS tracers take two days before they contact you. We knew DD2 was a close contact on Friday night and didn't get a call from a tracer until Monday night. We knew that the family of the pos child spoke to the health dept Sat and Sun. If we weren't conservative/cautious in our approach we could have sent our exposed kid to school Monday because we had no official notice not to.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by NCGrandma View Post

Yes that is a great turnaround time. My rural county health department is only offering rapid tests 3 days a week 9-10am and by appointment only. So you can imagine with schools fully in person how quickly that 3hrs of testing slots fills up. And the NYS tracers take two days before they contact you. We knew DD2 was a close contact on Friday night and didn't get a call from a tracer until Monday night. We knew that the family of the pos child spoke to the health dept Sat and Sun. If we weren't conservative/cautious in our approach we could have sent our exposed kid to school Monday because we had no official notice not to.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6