Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Which Covid rapid tests for accuracy?

I remember TWIV discussed this recently but I can’t find it. Does anyone know which rapid tests are accurate? I remember something about rapid tests not being very accurate for asymptomatic people? Until now the kids have done pcrs. Dh and I have avoided testing so far!

This came up because we are starting to do more and wondering what to use before attending events. I’m also considering a girl’s weekend with a few (vaccinated) friends. I wish I had paid more attention to the recommendations.
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

We use Binax tests
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

You have options? Everything is sold out around me. I'd take what you can get.

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We have BinaxNow tests.

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Walmart.com has them in stock now.

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Unless you have A very strong suspicion you were exposed or are having symptoms they are not recommended. You are vaccinated and if taking all precautions, I don't think that taking one before will really be of much help.

I have been tested over 100 times for work, we have seen rapid tests catch cases, but they were when someone was with a person who had tested positive and when a resident in the nursing home said, I can't taste anything (and we later found out a cna who had worked with her tested positive).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    My CVS has both BinaxNOW and Ellume tests. The BinaxNOW ones are $24 for 2 tests and the Ellume ones are $39 for 1 test. The Ellume one requires a smartphone and app to get your results. The BinaxNOW ones get 4.2 stars on the CVS website and Ellume gets only 2 stars. I've only used the BinaxNOW one and found it easy and quick (15 minutes).

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by essnce629; 09-25-2021 at 11:28 AM.
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post
    My CVS has both BinaxNOW and Ellume tests. The BinaxNOW ones are $24 for 2 tests and the Ellume ones are $39 for 1 test. The Ellume one requires a smartphone and app to get your results. The BinaxNOW ones get 4.2 stars on the CVS website and Ellume gets only 2 stars. I've only used the BinaxNOW one and found it easy and quick (15 minutes).

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
    Binax now are now $14 for two at Walmart!!!
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Thanks! I ordered the binaxNOW for next time. I don’t think rapid tests are great for asymptomatic cases, which is unfortunate.
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
    Thanks! I ordered the binaxNOW for next time. I don’t think rapid tests are great for asymptomatic cases, which is unfortunate.

Where did you order them from? I can't find them anywhere.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast