Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    SASM is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Foot/shoe help please!

I am not quite sure where to put this so I’ll post here.

Last night I was pushed and forcefully stubbed my Birkenstock-clad toe into one of my kids’ running shoes while in a haunted house - split nail, blood gushing into my Gizeh’s, lots of pain, etc. It’s pressure dressed and somewhat comfortable today BUT I have a feeling that at some point I will be losing my nail. We have a trip to WDW planned around Thanksgiving. I am stressing over footwear for several reasons:
    1) the stubbed toe/missing nail
    2) my feet were extremely uncomfortable after 14k steps walking around Busch Gardens in my trusty Gizeh’s (this style has been my go-to for the last two WDW trips) after only one day
    3) I have wicked bilateral pedal edema no thanks to varicose veins, which makes it really difficult to find non-flip flop shoes that fit

So…any suggestions for supportive shoes that can accommodate 1) a big toe that will most likely still have some sort of dressing on it AND 2) feet with excessive swelling??

I DO have compression socks that I will most likely wear the majority of the trip. NOT fun in hot weather.

I DO have Allbird Tree Dashers that generally seem to fit my expanding feet but they will probably not last the entire trip.

I would LOVE some other shoe suggestions to try. Gizeh’s are generally my favorite because they accommodate my feet so we’ll but my relatively new pair have currently lost their magic.

Also, any BTDT tips on how to deal with my nail when I take off my dressing would be greatly appreciated. I found some silicone gel toe caps on Amazon to put on the toe…no experience with these. I just had a pedicure so polish removal will be scary.

TIA (I hope).
    Mom to:
    1 BLUE (03) and 2 PINK (05 & 07)
    ^i^ 10.01 & 12.03

Pardon my typos...blasted Auto-correct!!

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

You're trying to find a new shoe for Disney in November due to the toe injury? I have lost many toenails from distance running and hiking and it's been no big deal. I was nervous about it all but the nail fell off and there was no discomfort with that nor the new growth. The worst is likely over.
    The trick for amusement park footwear is lots of options so if you get a hot spot one day, you can pick a totally different shoe style that won't hit it then next day.
    I'd get some good walking shoes. The Walking Company store says great options.

gamma is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

One of my relatives has had edema for years. The only style shoe that she wears are Easy Spirit, leaving them loosely tied. They are similar to Keds. If your toe bothers you on the trip, you may have to cut the toe area out for comfort.

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We did over 20k steps a day on our Tokyo trip and I was comfortable in both my Crocs LiteRide sandals and slip ons. I have bunions and fussy feet and normally live in Vionic shoes and never walk barefoot.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

To deal with the swelling; wrap around ice packs around your ankle and feet every night back at hotel room after ping stretching exercises. Google foot PT stretches. I still have swelling on days when I’ve walked over 15K a day or/and really humid days.

Ortho slip ons in your best supportive sneakers is another way to go. I wore that for 3-4 months once I was mobile after 8 weeks of non bearing weight from breaking my foot/ankle. Vionics and merrels brand is my to go for long days of walking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

Default Foot/shoe help please!

Try EVA birks. Arizona style.

I had a similar-ish injury in late July. I was leaving a Public restroom and someone opened the door into my toe…with one of those metal foot door openers on it. It sliced my toe right under the toe nail and splintered the nail into pieces. Lots of blood in my EVA birks. I couldn’t wear anything other than EVA birks (Arizona style) for 3 weeks since I had a big dressing on it and I couldn’t handle pressure from a close toed shoe. I didn’t lose my nail thankfully but I had to tape it for about 4 weeks otherwise it would catch on things. (I ended up going to urgent care since it was still oozing 8 hours later and they have me a tetanus shot since it was a gash/puncture wound by a metal object in a bathroom…probably lots of fecal matter on it ). They couldn’t stitch it unless they removed part of my toe nail. I declined. I’m totally fine now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by georgiegirl; 09-26-2021 at 08:21 PM.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

For protection, the gel toe caps are awesome. I use them when backpacking into the Grand Canton. Instead of losing 5 toenails, I only lose 1 or 2.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

Play around with shoes that you may have already. Even running shoes may work in a week or two after the swelling goes down. For me, the trick to shoes during high walking trips is to change them out each day. I've even carried an extra pair in case I wanted to change midday. As for Birks, I had a pair of Gizehs that I loved until I got a pair of Mayaris this year. The Mayaris are more comfortable for some reason. For me though, I don't find any Birkenstock comfortable enough to walk 15K+ steps a day in but YMMV.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Chacos adjust to expand swelling feet very nicely and have good support.

Maybe try REI or a local gear shop. Backpackers and hikers have constant toe injuries. Many hiking shoes have wide toeboxes that would work well, and they are made for high mileage days. I had a similar injury to yours years ago and it healed quickly - I doubt you will even think of it at all come Thanksgiving. At some point though, you just keep on going and it gets better.

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My feet are very sensitive. I swear by my Teva Tirras and Brooks Glycerin tennis shoes. Highly recommend these forgiving, cushioned, non tight shoes.

https://www.amazon.com/Teva-Womens-T...s%2C204&sr=8-2 and https://www.brooksrunning.com/en_us/...oe/120343.html
    K

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast