Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by StantonHyde View Post
    For protection, the gel toe caps are awesome. I use them when backpacking into the Grand Canton. Instead of losing 5 toenails, I only lose 1 or 2.
    You don’t get blisters from where they rub? I’m intrigued but don’t want to trade one problem for another when doing distance stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Kindra178 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

You may need your nail removed by a podiatrist. Something similar happened to my son and it was a big deal to the er docs. The ortho wanted to operate (!!!).

Can you get seen? That injury could cause the nail to get subsumed under your skin.

For shoes, have you heard of Altra? I wear paradign (and I alternate with hoka as everyone knows here). Altras have a foot shape top, so they are pretty wide.

Adidas superstars are also wide.

SASM is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Omg!!! Thank you so much for all of the wonderful recommendations!!!!
    Last edited by SASM; 09-28-2021 at 05:55 AM.

Ice wraps…Great idea! TY!

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    You're trying to find a new shoe for Disney in November due to the toe injury? I have lost many toenails from distance running and hiking and it's been no big deal. I was nervous about it all but the nail fell off and there was no discomfort with that nor the new growth. The worst is likely over.
    The trick for amusement park footwear is lots of options so if you get a hot spot one day, you can pick a totally different shoe style that won't hit it then next day.
    I'd get some good walking shoes. The Walking Company store says great options.
    Yes…I haven’t lost a toenail in 15 years. I am more concerned about the swelling feet not fitting into comfortable shoes. Thank you for the Walking Co recc…I totally forgot about that website.

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    Try EVA birks. Arizona style.

I had a similar-ish injury in late July. I was leaving a Public restroom and someone opened the door into my toe…with one of those metal foot door openers on it. It sliced my toe right under the toe nail and splintered the nail into pieces. Lots of blood in my EVA birks. I couldn’t wear anything other than EVA birks (Arizona style) for 3 weeks since I had a big dressing on it and I couldn’t handle pressure from a close toed shoe. I didn’t lose my nail thankfully but I had to tape it for about 4 weeks otherwise it would catch on things. (I ended up going to urgent care since it was still oozing 8 hours later and they have me a tetanus shot since it was a gash/puncture wound by a metal object in a bathroom…probably lots of fecal matter on it ). They couldn’t stitch it unless they removed part of my toe nail. I declined. I’m totally fine now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    OH MY…that sounds horrible!!! Such a relief that your are on the mend!!
    Mom to:
    1 BLUE (03) and 2 PINK (05 & 07)
    ^i^ 10.01 & 12.03

Pardon my typos...blasted Auto-correct!!

Quote Originally Posted by carolinamama View Post
    Play around with shoes that you may have already. Even running shoes may work in a week or two after the swelling goes down. For me, the trick to shoes during high walking trips is to change them out each day. I've even carried an extra pair in case I wanted to change midday. As for Birks, I had a pair of Gizehs that I loved until I got a pair of Mayaris this year. The Mayaris are more comfortable for some reason. For me though, I don't find any Birkenstock comfortable enough to walk 15K+ steps a day in but YMMV.
    Yes…this is what I generally do. Unfortunately, my feet have been swelling so much lately that the Gizeh’s and Allbirds are the only ones that really fit. My Keen Waimea’s kind of fit but they are a shoe to alternate throughout the day. I’ve tried the Mayari’s years ago…soooo cute but the first strap close to the toes put too much pressure on an old injury.
    Mom to:
    ^i^ 10.01 & 12.03

Quote Originally Posted by ahisma View Post
    Chacos adjust to expand swelling feet very nicely and have good support.

Maybe try REI or a local gear shop. Backpackers and hikers have constant toe injuries. Many hiking shoes have wide toeboxes that would work well, and they are made for high mileage days. I had a similar injury to yours years ago and it healed quickly - I doubt you will even think of it at all come Thanksgiving. At some point though, you just keep on going and it gets better.
    THANK YOU…I will have to try these again. In the past I tried a few Chaco styles that put too much pressure on the metatarsals (old injury) and they didn’t seem to expend enough. Must have been the styles I was trying.
    Mom to:
    ^i^ 10.01 & 12.03

Quote Originally Posted by KpbS View Post
    My feet are very sensitive. I swear by my Teva Tirras and Brooks Glycerin tennis shoes. Highly recommend these forgiving, cushioned, non tight shoes.

https://www.amazon.com/Teva-Womens-T...s%2C204&sr=8-2 and https://www.brooksrunning.com/en_us/...oe/120343.html
    Thank you! Will look into these! Hopefully they expand enough!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mom to:
    ^i^ 10.01 & 12.03

Default Foot/shoe help please!

Quote Originally Posted by Kindra178 View Post
    You may need your nail removed by a podiatrist. Something similar happened to my son and it was a big deal to the er docs. The ortho wanted to operate (!!!).

Can you get seen? That injury could cause the nail to get subsumed under your skin.

For shoes, have you heard of Altra? I wear paradign (and I alternate with hoka as everyone knows here). Altras have a foot shape top, so they are pretty wide.

Adidas superstars are also wide.

Ugh!! Gosh, I hope not!! I am going to try to remove the pressure wrap today to clean it again and get a better look. Thank you so much for the reccs! Will def look into those. I went into a Fleet Feet a couple years ago and they didn’t really have a lot that would fit my swelling. My swelling is a lot worse now I am curious about new inventory. They could def address the toe issue with a wider toe box. Fingers crossed…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by SASM; 09-28-2021 at 06:27 AM.
    Mom to:
    ^i^ 10.01 & 12.03

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast