Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default tell me about your Mirena IUD

My OB says that I should look into the Mirena IUD to help with this out of control perimenopause bleeding. (Literally, 3 weeks out of every 5 week period is spent bleeding). This has been going on for 2 years now, and who knows how much longer. I think I'm finally fed up enough to do something about it.

However, I'm worried about side effects of the Mirena IUD.

Looking for other's experiences with this...

Many thanks
    Jennifer

Quote Originally Posted by Mom to Brandon and 2 cats View Post
    My OB says that I should look into the Mirena IUD to help with this out of control perimenopause bleeding. (Literally, 3 weeks out of every 5 week period is spent bleeding). This has been going on for 2 years now, and who knows how much longer. I think I'm finally fed up enough to do something about it.

However, I'm worried about side effects of the Mirena IUD.

Looking for other's experiences with this...

Many thanks
    Jennifer
    I switched to a Mirena a few years ago after experiencing excessively heavy periods, at the recommendation of my OB. My monthly flow reduced to manageable levels (and shorter periods - 3ish days) for about a year, after which they nearly disappeared entirely - every 4-6 months I'll have some spotting, but that's it.
    I haven't experienced many other side effects - I've had some weight gain, but it has not been excessive and at least partially explained by being less active since the pandemic started. When this one expires, I plan to get another Mirena.
    Happy to answer any other questions.
    Mom to Mr. Sunshine 9/08
    and Miss Happiness 3/11

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I love mine. I used to think it may have contributed to weight gain but it was probably just me not eating well or eating too much. I have lost 50 pounds this year while having one so I will revise that initial thought. I love not worrying about my period. So much better.

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Add me to the love mine. I had very very heavy periods as well. On Mirena I had some spotting for a few months then it dwindled to a reg period of 2-3 days. Then it stopped for a few yrs. Recently, I've started having them again but 'normal' and only lasting 3ish days. Went from overflowing my diva cup in an hour or 2 to having barely enough to justify using it. Certainly no where full after 12h.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

Quote Originally Posted by truly scrumptious View Post
    I switched to a Mirena a few years ago after experiencing excessively heavy periods, at the recommendation of my OB. My monthly flow reduced to manageable levels (and shorter periods - 3ish days) for about a year, after which they nearly disappeared entirely - every 4-6 months I'll have some spotting, but that's it.
    I haven't experienced many other side effects - I've had some weight gain, but it has not been excessive and at least partially explained by being less active since the pandemic started. When this one expires, I plan to get another Mirena.
    Happy to answer any other questions.
    This is extremely helpful, thanks!

To all - the pamphlet of information sent by my doctor says that I have to check for the strings regularly - ? And how does one know when to menopause has started with the IUD in?

JElaineB is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

To all - the pamphlet of information sent by my doctor says that I have to check for the strings regularly - ? And how does one know when to menopause has started with the IUD in?
    I have had my Mirena for six years and love it. I'm approaching menopause (will be 52 this year) so my gynecologist said I can keep it in for seven years. I haven't had a period since I've had it. I have an appointment to get it removed next summer. She said the options are to take it out and see if I get my period back and then put another one in if so, or she can check my hormones before the appointment and make a judgement call based on hormones and the state of my uterus during the removal. I'm doing that and she already has the lab work ordered. She did say this summer she didn't think my uterus seemed menopausal yet, I guess she can tell just by feeling from the outside?

As for the strings, I have never checked mine, as they wrapped around my cervix so even if I tried I wouldn't be able to feel them. They get checked at my yearly appointment.

I had mine for almost 15 years (3 of them to be exact). No side effects, no bleeding. They test your hormones and the levels are clearly different. I had mine out when I was 53-54 and the indicative numbers were hugely different--so very easy to tell when you don't need it anymore.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Having gone through it menopause isn't so much as a line crossed as much as you are on a steep path up a hill. I found peri-menopause much worse than the actually thing. I would have some hot flashes, have a period, not have one for a few months, think I was done, then start bleeding. I was constantly wondering if this was it. Then I sort of just reached a level with my symptoms that was consistent and next thing I knew it has been 12 months since I had a period. I think my symptoms got better 9-12 months afterwards. Of course all this was obvious in hindsight. There were some other things that just became the default, like vaginal dryness, and other things that got better, moodiness. Which makes sense because I was past the point of all the hormone and swings. I think in general if you are asking, am I done with menopause, you aren't.

PSA: We do pregnancy tests on every female under 55 before surgery. Every year or two we get someone in their late 40's that is, oh, I stopped having my periods/they are irregular, I couldn't be pregnant. Surprise! So I think this kind of leave it and forget about it birth control is ideal for the stage of one's life when you don't want any more kids, the changes are low, but they aren't zero.

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Another love mine! I'm on my THIRD. After breastfeeding DS2, I was back to bleeding heavy 10 days every 21 days. So I got the first mirena. I did get a period the first 6 months or so, then spotted the first couple of years. Then nothing. I've had no problems, no side effects. I spotted again at the switch from#1 to#2, had one unexpected heavy period that lasted one day toward the end of#2, then spotted again after switching from#2 to#3, but otherwise haven't had a period in probably 10 years. My ob said this will probably be my last mirena, since I'll be 53+ when this one is ready to come out.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

I haven't had my period since 2008 due to having the Mirena IUD. Like the PP I sometimes I think it may have contributed so some weight gain, but I'll also own that my eating is probably the biggest contributer to that.

Sent from my LML713DL using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast