Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default tell me about your Mirena IUD

My OB says that I should look into the Mirena IUD to help with this out of control perimenopause bleeding. (Literally, 3 weeks out of every 5 week period is spent bleeding). This has been going on for 2 years now, and who knows how much longer. I think I'm finally fed up enough to do something about it.

However, I'm worried about side effects of the Mirena IUD.

Looking for other's experiences with this...

Many thanks
    Jennifer

Quote Originally Posted by Mom to Brandon and 2 cats View Post
    My OB says that I should look into the Mirena IUD to help with this out of control perimenopause bleeding. (Literally, 3 weeks out of every 5 week period is spent bleeding). This has been going on for 2 years now, and who knows how much longer. I think I'm finally fed up enough to do something about it.

Many thanks
    Jennifer
    I switched to a Mirena a few years ago after experiencing excessively heavy periods, at the recommendation of my OB. My monthly flow reduced to manageable levels (and shorter periods - 3ish days) for about a year, after which they nearly disappeared entirely - every 4-6 months I'll have some spotting, but that's it.
    I haven't experienced many other side effects - I've had some weight gain, but it has not been excessive and at least partially explained by being less active since the pandemic started. When this one expires, I plan to get another Mirena.
    Happy to answer any other questions.
    Mom to Mr. Sunshine 9/08
    and Miss Happiness 3/11

Philly Mom is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I love mine. I used to think it may have contributed to weight gain but it was probably just me not eating well or eating too much. I have lost 50 pounds this year while having one so I will revise that initial thought. I love not worrying about my period. So much better.

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Add me to the love mine. I had very very heavy periods as well. On Mirena I had some spotting for a few months then it dwindled to a reg period of 2-3 days. Then it stopped for a few yrs. Recently, I've started having them again but 'normal' and only lasting 3ish days. Went from overflowing my diva cup in an hour or 2 to having barely enough to justify using it. Certainly no where full after 12h.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Another love mine! I'm on my THIRD. After breastfeeding DS2, I was back to bleeding heavy 10 days every 21 days. So I got the first mirena. I did get a period the first 6 months or so, then spotted the first couple of years. Then nothing. I've had no problems, no side effects. I spotted again at the switch from#1 to#2, had one unexpected heavy period that lasted one day toward the end of#2, then spotted again after switching from#2 to#3, but otherwise haven't had a period in probably 10 years. My ob said this will probably be my last mirena, since I'll be 53+ when this one is ready to come out.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

I haven't had my period since 2008 due to having the Mirena IUD. Like the PP I sometimes I think it may have contributed so some weight gain, but I'll also own that my eating is probably the biggest contributer to that.

Sent from my LML713DL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mom to Brandon and 2 cats View Post

Many thanks
    Jennifer
    I adored it for many years. Truly wonderful experience. No period at all and no side effects.
    Don't have it anymore, because I no longer need it thanks to menopause.
    DD1 - 1996
    DD2 - 1999
    DD3 - 2005

Surfaces are for working, not for storing. - Peter Walsh

I'm on my second and love it. I haven't had a real period in years. I fully intend to get a third once it's time.
    DD 6/06
    DS 4/09
    DS 5/12

I’m on my second. I had a copper IUD between DD and DS and didn’t care for that. I’ll get another Mirena when this one expires as long as my OB is okay with it. Like others I’ve gained weight, lost weight, gained weight with the mirena. I’m fairly certain that’s just life. One of the strangest unanticipated consequences is I felt a bit bad for DD as she’s entered puberty because I really haven’t had a period for most of her life so it isn’t something she just knows about through me.
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

Duplicate
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast