Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Twin Mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by pinkmomagain View Post
    I adored it for many years. Truly wonderful experience. No period at all and no side effects.
    Don't have it anymore, because I no longer need it thanks to menopause.
    I had mine for 7 years and because I was older at the time the 7 years was up my gyn told me I shouldn’t get another one cause menopause would be coming! I had some periods afterwards and wasn’t real pleased! I didn’t have any side effects or any periods. I was worried about weight gain but it wasn’t an issue. Would have gotten another one if I needed it. My doctor told me that although they say they are for 5 years they really work for 7!
    Mom to b/g twins (g in college, b working)

People show themselves not by what they say but by what they do

Our happiness or our unhappiness depends far more on the way we meet the events of life than on the nature of those events themselves. -- Wilhelm von Humboldt

Quote Originally Posted by truly scrumptious View Post
    I switched to a Mirena a few years ago after experiencing excessively heavy periods, at the recommendation of my OB. My monthly flow reduced to manageable levels (and shorter periods - 3ish days) for about a year, after which they nearly disappeared entirely - every 4-6 months I'll have some spotting, but that's it.
    I haven't experienced many other side effects - I've had some weight gain, but it has not been excessive and at least partially explained by being less active since the pandemic started. When this one expires, I plan to get another Mirena.
    Happy to answer any other questions.
    This is extremely helpful, thanks!

To all - the pamphlet of information sent by my doctor says that I have to check for the strings regularly - ? And how does one know when to menopause has started with the IUD in?

JElaineB is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Mom to Brandon and 2 cats View Post

To all - the pamphlet of information sent by my doctor says that I have to check for the strings regularly - ? And how does one know when to menopause has started with the IUD in?
    I have had my Mirena for six years and love it. I'm approaching menopause (will be 52 this year) so my gynecologist said I can keep it in for seven years. I haven't had a period since I've had it. I have an appointment to get it removed next summer. She said the options are to take it out and see if I get my period back and then put another one in if so, or she can check my hormones before the appointment and make a judgement call based on hormones and the state of my uterus during the removal. I'm doing that and she already has the lab work ordered. She did say this summer she didn't think my uterus seemed menopausal yet, I guess she can tell just by feeling from the outside?

As for the strings, I have never checked mine, as they wrapped around my cervix so even if I tried I wouldn't be able to feel them. They get checked at my yearly appointment.

I had mine for almost 15 years (3 of them to be exact). No side effects, no bleeding. They test your hormones and the levels are clearly different. I had mine out when I was 53-54 and the indicative numbers were hugely different--so very easy to tell when you don't need it anymore.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Mom to Brandon and 2 cats View Post

Having gone through it menopause isn't so much as a line crossed as much as you are on a steep path up a hill. I found peri-menopause much worse than the actually thing. I would have some hot flashes, have a period, not have one for a few months, think I was done, then start bleeding. I was constantly wondering if this was it. Then I sort of just reached a level with my symptoms that was consistent and next thing I knew it has been 12 months since I had a period. I think my symptoms got better 9-12 months afterwards. Of course all this was obvious in hindsight. There were some other things that just became the default, like vaginal dryness, and other things that got better, moodiness. Which makes sense because I was past the point of all the hormone and swings. I think in general if you are asking, am I done with menopause, you aren't.

PSA: We do pregnancy tests on every female under 55 before surgery. Every year or two we get someone in their late 40's that is, oh, I stopped having my periods/they are irregular, I couldn't be pregnant. Surprise! So I think this kind of leave it and forget about it birth control is ideal for the stage of one's life when you don't want any more kids, the changes are low, but they aren't zero.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2