Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default UPDATE in OP: Antihistamine for anxiety?

Update:

I have often said the BBB has changed my life. Here is yet another example…
    I saw my doctor and was surprised that she wasn’t into the supplements. According to her survey, I have anxiety symptoms, mild to moderate. She said she goes straight to the antidepressants because there’s not much research on the supplements. She’s a very crunchy type, into alternate therapies, and she does mindfulness classes on the side, so I suspect the group practice is now controlling her messaging. Just my suspicion…
    Anyway, I started looking into L-theanine and inositol, including the contraindications. I decided to try out a small dose of l-theanine. After some experimentation, I think I found something that works for me. I take 50 mg at night and 50 mg in the afternoon. At first I thought it was too good to be true and it was psychosomatic, but if I take it at night it wears off by the following early evening and I feel the need for something, so I think this is for real. I can’t get over the difference… At least for me. And that’s a fairly small dose. It helps me sleep but it doesn’t induce drowsiness during the day.
    I hope this continues to work because it has been freeing. It has also told me that I need to do something and it’s not worth living with chronic anxiety. I also signed up for one of her mindfulness classes and I’ve been doing guided meditations again on the Calm app. I have a number of friends who have talked to me about this issue and some of them are very resistant to meds. If it gets to the point the supplements don’t work, I’ll be open to prescription meds.
    So a huge thank you to my fellow BBBers who have led me down this path. Really I can’t thank you enough.
    —————————
    UGH. I was supposed to see my doctor today but she had to cancel and now I may not see her for another few weeks. I was going to ask her this question and still intend to, but I was curious to know if any of you have heard of using antihistamines to relieve anxiety. My health anxiety has really gotten bad this year and I wanted something to take the edge off. Breathing exercises, weighted blankets, and other CBT techniques do help but it’s not enough. I was traveling for three weeks without my weighted blanket, and I saw a difference… I saw that antihistamines can be used for anxiety, Since I do have allergies and I’m supposed to take an antihistamine but generally avoid it, I thought I’d look into that.
    Coincidentally, Sunday night I took a Zyrtec (to avoid allergy symptoms since I had to go and get my test done on Monday and I didn’t want to be sneezing) and I noticed yesterday I was completely anxiety free, however it has a sedating effect on me . It felt so good to be free of anxiety for one whole day and now I’m wondering if this is something I can do in the future, though at a lower dose to reduce the sedation effect. Last night I took a quarter tablet to see if that had any effect
    In my research, it says that zyrtec can actually increase anxiety and depression, but on the other hand related antihistamine medicine with hydroxyzine (vistaril) is used for anxiety. Hmmm..
    Last edited by Globetrotter; 10-19-2021 at 11:46 AM.
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

I'm a therapist, not a psychiatrist, but I have encountered people who have been prescribed Vistaril to manage their anxiety.
    DD1 - 1996
    DD2 - 1999
    DD3 - 2005

Surfaces are for working, not for storing. - Peter Walsh

KpbS is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Yes, hydroxyzine is an H1 antihistamine that is sometimes also used to treat anxiety. It is sedating though!
    K

Corie is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KpbS View Post
    Yes, hydroxyzine is an H1 antihistamine that is sometimes also used to treat anxiety. It is sedating though!

I was prescribed hydroxyzine for my anxiety. It does make me sleepy though.
    Corie

"A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."
    -fortune cookie

Corie is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KpbS View Post

I was prescribed hydroxyzine for my anxiety. It does make me sleepy though.
    Corie

"A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."
    -fortune cookie

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Good to know.. I’m not sure if that would work but I do want to try something.
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

A psychiatric nurse practitioner that I work with recommends the supplement L-Theanine for anxiety. You might look into it.

chlobo is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

A health care practitioner recommended Inositol to me for anxiety. Haven't tried it yet. I have also heard of L-Theanine.

Was also prescribed Vistaril for anxiety and mild-moderate panic attacks. Vistaril made me sleep, like almost passed out, heavy sleepy. I would not be comfortable driving if I had to use it. I’m just saving them for sleeping on long flights now.

Theanine is helpful, and I used the gummies for several years along with Vitamin D, vigorous exercise and regular talk therapy. Then 2020 happened, things amped up, and tried Vistaril. Ended up trying Zoloft next. Prescribed at 100mg but started at 25mg and happily settled at 50mg now, taken in the morning.

I take Zyrtec daily for environmental allergies - have never noticed an impact on my anxiety with it.
    DS 2014

Double post
    DS 2014

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast