Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    California is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Not sure why I didn’t think of this before- rescues get adult guinea pigs, rabbits, birds, etc who are friendly and in need of homes. With a guinea, for instance, you could look for a one or two year old one.

trales is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We rescued 2 adult guinea pigs- a dear friends kid went away and they felt the pigs were lonely, I am a sucker, we own them now. I LOVE them. They bring me great joy. They squeak and pop up when I enter the room, the are adorable running around the kitchen. When the 14 is in a funk- hand over a piggie and walk away, situation over, funk resolved. They snuggle and are sweet. I thought I would not care about them, but I had to know an animal is not living its best life, so I took them on. I cannot imagine life without them. I really adore them. I bought them organic dandelion greens from the grocery store bc the store was out of romaine, that is how much I like them.

They are hilarious to watch. They do poop A LOT, previous poster was totally correct. If we have them out and about the kitchen, the dog eats it, so whatever . . Their litter has made my compost pile amazing. So much nitrogen. They are soooooo sweet.
    Tracey

DD1 3/07 Itching to take over the universe.
    DD2 1/14 My mellow little snuggler.

ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

More pet store trips and more research. I have ruled out birds as I’ve read they really need daily feeding and changing papers on bottom of the cage, which would be a problem if we want to go away for the weekend. Then I thought maybe hamster, read they are good own their own for the weekend if we are traveling. But the nocturnal thing really is a problem as we don’t really have anywhere else to house it other than her bedroom and that girl needs her sleep. Though some blogs I read said a high quality wheel doesn’t make much noise, can anyone attest to that? Also, short life span is a concern. So maybe 2 gerbils would be better, in a glass tank with mesh screen lid to keep the cat out/keep him in. Do they live longer than hamsters? Sounds like they are awake more during the day. And may not bite as much? We really tried to talk DH into another cat but he is holding out for another dog…..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ang79 View Post
    More pet store trips and more research. I have ruled out birds as I’ve read they really need daily feeding and changing papers on bottom of the cage, which would be a problem if we want to go away for the weekend. Then I thought maybe hamster, read they are good own their own for the weekend if we are traveling. But the nocturnal thing really is a problem as we don’t really have anywhere else to house it other than her bedroom and that girl needs her sleep. Though some blogs I read said a high quality wheel doesn’t make much noise, can anyone attest to that? Also, short life span is a concern. So maybe 2 gerbils would be better, in a glass tank with mesh screen lid to keep the cat out/keep him in. Do they live longer than hamsters? Sounds like they are awake more during the day. And may not bite as much? We really tried to talk DH into another cat but he is holding out for another dog…..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hamsters are a piece of cake and can easily be housed in the same room as long as you get a non-metal wheel. DD's hamster has two wheels and she slept three feet from his aquarium with no problem (probably also helps to have a glass aquarium - nothing falls out, they cannot escape and they can't chew on the bars). He only gets fed every three days so easy to go away for the weekend without care. She bought a particularly short lived type (12-18 month life span) on purpose because she was headed to college at the 17 month mark and lo and behold, I'm still taking care of him 3 months later. He seems fine but could kick the bucket any day, I suppose. You can wake them if you want in the day but they really do mainly sleep until dark.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3