Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default Do you test after known exposure or just wait it out?

We found out that DS was exposed on Tuesday and Wednesday to a friend who later tested positive on Friday. Would you test him in a couple days or just wait it out and see if symptoms develop? The only reason I’m particularly concerned is that my teens have homecoming next weekend and I will isolate him if he tests positive or has symptoms to avoid them needing to quarantine and missing the event. Have they adjusted the incubation time at all or is still like 2-14 days? Such a long range.

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

At our school he would need to quarantine since it was two days from positive test for the friend so I would test.

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Melaine View Post
    We found out that DS was exposed on Tuesday and Wednesday to a friend who later tested positive on Friday. Would you test him in a couple days or just wait it out and see if symptoms develop? The only reason I’m particularly concerned is that my teens have homecoming next weekend and I will isolate him if he tests positive or has symptoms to avoid them needing to quarantine and missing the event. Have they adjusted the incubation time at all or is still like 2-14 days? Such a long range.
    Was his friend symptomatic? If so, when did friend's symptoms start?

Are his sisters vaccinated?

I get my kids tested 5 days after exposure because it reduces their quarantine requirements for school from 10 days to 7 days. It is free and not difficult to get tested here, so I see no reason not to.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

Yes, DD has had a couple exposures at school (she’s vaxed) and we’ve done a PCR test five+ days post exposure each time. I think it’s best to test rather than be part of the problem.
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Yes he is quarantined along with the class until next Tuesday (so nearly 2 weeks). Just trying to figure out if testing would be helpful in trying to avoid the girls getting sick. They are not vax’d.

(Thanks for the 5 day mark, we’ll go with that.)

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Melaine View Post
    Yes he is quarantined along with the class until next Tuesday (so nearly 2 weeks). Just trying to figure out if testing would be helpful in trying to avoid the girls getting sick. They are not vax’d.

(Thanks for the 5 day mark, we’ll go with that.)
    Are you keeping him away from your girls now?

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

If you wait to isolate him until after he tests positive or has symptoms it would be too late. The girls would have to quarantine if he got sick since they aren’t vaccinated and would have been exposed. Your best bet to keep them out of quarantine would be to isolate him, though at this point he would have already exposed them if he tests positive I think.

ETA I would definitely test him 5 days post exposure.

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

We test on day 5. DS is vaccinated so didn’t need to quarantine when he was exposed. He tested on day 5 just to make sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gymnbomb View Post
    I get my kids tested 5 days after exposure because it reduces their quarantine requirements for school from 10 days to 7 days. It is free and not difficult to get tested here, so I see no reason not to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow mom View Post
    Yes, DD has had a couple exposures at school (she’s vaxed) and we’ve done a PCR test five+ days post exposure each time. I think it’s best to test rather than be part of the problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by niccig View Post
    We test on day 5. DS is vaccinated so didn’t need to quarantine when he was exposed. He tested on day 5 just to make sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Yes, this is what we would do, test on day 5. Always.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast