Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Help! Overthinking sofas

We have a big sectional with power recliners and USB ports and was perfect for growing kids. I’ve got one in college, a 15 yo and a post-spinal fusion back right now. I would love to get. Something that looked good and gives my back more support. We do still have two dogs I let on the furniture, because what’s the point of dogs if you can’t cuddle with them? (That might just be me.) My LR is large and I am thinking of moving from one big section back to the two sofas or sofa, love seat and chair. My LR is part of a greater room with the DR table. So I basically have two sides of a 12 to 14 foot square to work with a a short part of another wall. The TV is in an opposite corner. If I could remember how to do pictures here I would post them.

I’m swooning over this article sofa as one of my sofas: https://www.article.com/product/1519...ass-green-sofa. It would be safe to say I’ve been obsessed with it for two years now.

Was thinking of a getting a more neutral, tan sofa, maybe leather, for the one I would sit in more. (Like this color, but not this design https://www.article.com/product/1536...harme-tan-sofa .) Is would need this sofa to have more support for my back. I was thinking matching ottomans or the like if people want to put their feet up. I am so tired of fishing crap + fallen phones + dog toys + dirt from under my sectional that I would love to have the legged look with high clearance to vacuum or sweep under. (I have wood floors and would get a new area rug.)

It’s hard to buy furniture today with supply chain issues. I would prefer to go sit on a sofa, but all the big furniture stores have either older style ugly sofas or have these power recliner, comfy, deep seated sofas that are not good for my back. Any suggestions, feedback from online store quality, etc is appreciated. Right now I’ve got two pillows, one under my rear and one behind my lumbar space to make my sofa work for me.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Your pretty green couch will be wearing either a blanket or a blanket of fur- everything will stick to that fabric. I have encountered a few velvets that aren't like fur velcro so maybe this is one of those unicorns but I would keep that in mind...pretty in the pics, might never look like that again.

Have you gone to Lazy Boy? They have a bunch on non recliner models.

Costco is in that non-furniture cycle in the store but if you can hang in there until January it'll be back in person. With their return policy, you could gamble with buying one without sitting on it if you like online options.

Room and Board likely has some good styles. Arhaus has a bunch of designs. Macy's is really a great bet too- affordable and a lot of styles but lower price points than the non-discount furniture stores. West Elm and Crate and Barrel too.

I bought a Stressless chair for my work (therapist) and I swear when I move and redesign a home, I'd like to get more seating through them. It's definitely pricey and modern/Scandinavian, but it's been great for my back/neck.

https://www.stressless.com/en
    DD1 - 1996
    DD2 - 1999
    DD3 - 2005

Surfaces are for working, not for storing. - Peter Walsh

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I love the style of both those sofas you posted but I have not heard great things about Article furniture. The green sofa would definitely be covered in fur immediately. I really loved this article which was super helpful when we re-did our great room: https://studio-mcgee.com/the-buildin...-a-great-room/

Lots of great suggestions on balancing weight with leggy sofas/chairs vs more solid ones.

We followed the advice and love what we ended up with. We took a modular Bassett sectional ("solid" weight) and moved half of it upstairs, retaining the other half as one 3-seat couch. It's deep, the cushions have held up amazingly over the years. We got a custom slipcover made in a stonewashed tightly woven cotton/poly canvas. We don't allow our dogs on the couch (allergies...not necessarily to the dogs, but everything they track in), but they sit against the sides all the time and I've been beyond pleased at how easily fur just brushes off of the canvas. And our smaller dog puts her paws/nails on it and zero damage. Plus, we can machine wash since the covers were already washed/pre-shrunk in hot water! I am beyond pleased at our decision to find a slipcover maker for that Bassett sectional. It's a very tailored slipcover...doesn't look like a slipcover at all.

For the 2 chairs, we went with a leather club style but in a mid-mod style that has slender arms and long slender metal legs, so they have less visual weight. We don't have room for a second sofa but take a look at the article I linked to, as they have a ton of ideas for that! We then took 2 old cube ottomans that I slipcovered myself in an oatmeal linen fabric, in a slouchier style to balance the leather chairs and tailored couch. They sit in front of our fireplace for looks, but in reality get moved around all the time for feet, meals, etc.

Take a look at the IKEA Farlov couch and then buy a Benz slipcover...I see Ivy Green Velvet!!! Washable!!! https://bemz.com/en-us/products/FAR1-SV167. The Farlov sits firm and deep. If you are able, go to an IKEA to sit on it and play around with throw pillows to see how it would work with your back.

And then I agree with balancing out with a leather couch that is more leggy. Do you have a Nebraska Furniture Mart where you could go and sit to try them out? I feel like with your back, you really need to be able to sit and test.
    Last edited by twowhat?; 10-12-2021 at 09:55 AM.

Our Room and Board Ian sofas are firm and supportive
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Your pretty green couch will be wearing either a blanket or a blanket of fur- everything will stick to that fabric. I have encountered a few velvets that aren't like fur velcro so maybe this is one of those unicorns but I would keep that in mind...pretty in the pics, might never look like that again.

Have you gone to Lazy Boy? They have a bunch on non recliner models.

Costco is in that non-furniture cycle in the store but if you can hang in there until January it'll be back in person. With their return policy, you could gamble with buying one without sitting on it if you like online options.

Room and Board likely has some good styles. Arhaus has a bunch of designs. Macy's is really a great bet too- affordable and a lot of styles but lower price points than the non-discount furniture stores. West Elm and Crate and Barrel too.
    Not so worried about fur, the dogs don’t shed a ton and that’s easily dealt with. Read a lot of reviews with people with dogs and that fabric, seems fine. I’m more worried about are the back cushions going to mush up with them.

I tried looking at Lazy Boy, I found exactly one piece I would even consider and it’s not really what I want. I’m not looking for an Instagram worth LR, but I guess I’ve had 3+ decades of just getting furniture that is not quite what I want, but good enough and at a cheap price point. I am so over that. I want one room with a set of furniture that goes together, not always having one or two pieces that don’t belong that I will get around to replacing, but never do. I just want to walk into one room in my house and be happy about the look. I would like the furniture to hold up for a good 5+ years, but I will be eventually moving out in under 10, so it’s not like I’m looking for pieces to pass down to my kids.

ezcc is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

My husband hates sofas with any kind of back cushion- so all of our sofas don't have them, and I have to say they do seem to look nicer longer- we just use throw pillows as needed. We do have a small hand me down loveseat that has back cushions and it does always seem to be mushed up with the teens and dogs on it. Something like this maybe? https://www.westelm.com/products/mod...key=s~sofa~565

Quote Originally Posted by pinkmomagain View Post
    I bought a Stressless chair for my work (therapist) and I swear when I move and redesign a home, I'd like to get more seating through them. It's definitely pricey and modern/Scandinavian, but it's been great for my back/neck.

https://www.stressless.com/en
    Oh, one of the furniture stores near me carry that. Hmmmm

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Help! Overthinking sofas

I have bought two couches from a local furniture store and they have been great couches so far; the first was in 2006 and while it is out spare couch it is still the first choice for sleeping when we have guests or one us sleeps on the couch at night. Our current one is from a brand called Parker House and it was made in Southern California. We saved over 50% on our set as the store was going out of business. We ended up with a new non floor model at that price as well. It is a reclining leather sofa and love seat so not what you need but definitely look local if you can.

Stressless is very nice but it was a tad out of our budget especially since DH wanted leather, and a reclining option. The couch we liked was about $7500 iirc and the love seat was about $3500 iirc so in all more than we wanted to spend.

I would also look at Basset and Macy’s. We did look at Macy’s and would’ve also considered La Z Boy if we hadn’t found what we wanted locally. My parents are very happy with their non reclining La Z Boy (although I think the two prior couches were from Macy’s; one lasted from toddler years though high school for me and the second lasted from the mid 90s until around 2016….although there were no kids living at home for the last 10 years of that second couch). My mom had back issues and doesn’t like the look of recliners and was happy with the La Z Boy selection.

ETA: no idea Basset sofas were not a good option. We sat in some at the showroom last year (while looking at coffee tables) and we thought they were comfy. We love our coffee table (Benchmade Modern line) though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 10-13-2021 at 01:59 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Just jumping back on to say that we have had a terrible experience with a Basset sectional. Bad from day one. The seams were never sewn properly and on almost all the back cushions the seams have split. (We are all 16yo and up -- so no one is jumping or roughhousing on this furniture). Also I got the most durable grade fabric since it's our most used piece of furniture and it pills like no ones business. This all started happening within a few months of getting it. Covid hit a couple of months later so I really didn't do too much about it, but I absolutely hate it and will never buy upholstered furniture from there again.

I do have a nice leather loveseat from Macys that was in my office and now in my home. I love it and it still looks brand new several years later.
    DD1 - 1996
    DD2 - 1999
    DD3 - 2005

Surfaces are for working, not for storing. - Peter Walsh

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast