Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default If you don’t like your kids school pictures do you have them taken elsewhere?

Dd2 has been through regular picture day and makeup picture day and I haven’t liked either. I will pick the best one and order her the class photo but I really don’t want a print of that photo. I am thinking of going to JC Penney in hopes of getting a better photo. We have an 8x10 and we give 5x7s/2x3/wallets to other family members.

Fwiw I know JCP is owned by Lifetouch but at this point I don’t think I have a better option. I don’t have a digital SLR camera and a background so I can’t really do it at my home. Her school photos were done by a local company and I get that they couldn’t touch the kids due to covid, but reminding a 5th grader to brush her hair and check herself before they do the photos still didn’t get the job done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

DS2 is a 6th grader and hasn’t had a haircut in months. He combed his hair before school but he obviously was running between arrival and picture taking. I’m leaving it as is. We all have a bad school picture. This will be his. I think it’s fine to get a picture done elsewhere if you don’t like the pictures the school took.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

We tolerate the terrible class photos for the yearbook and just have a good laugh at the photos. I won't actually do a professional photo other than the school photos until senior year. I get so many of my own photos of the kids doing various activities. Also, we do a semi-professional Christmas photo every year. I figure that's good enough for us.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I’d just pick a picture you like already from this year and get the gifting sizes you want printed. Natural light, nothing really posed. I’m sure you have a good one already.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I’d just pick a picture you like already from this year and get the gifting sizes you want printed. Natural light, nothing really posed. I’m sure you have a good one already.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    We might have one from vacation. We also need to get family pictures taken as it has been 6 years since we had them done. I also don’t know anyone here who does photos.

Dh actually likes one of the photos and the company is offering free retouching so maybe I will think about it. I know for sure I had some awkward photos for sure in middle school.

Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I've seen several friends lately posting on fb they are taking reservations for fall photos. Maybe someone you know locally can take a family photo of y'all? That would be my choice.
    K

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I can count on one hand I have purchased school pictures for any of my 4 They are rarely good and very overpriced. I find a picture I like that I’ve taken and make a print we prefer casual vs the mug shot pose
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We just live with it. I don't buy them every year anyway. DS1 did his senior photos a couple months ago and while they are good, they're not great. We picked the best one for the yearbook and for MIL's wall. I didn't buy any for us. A few weeks later he needed a professional looking headshot for the culmination of his summer fellowship so I had him put on a shirt and jacket and took some really great photos of him using my phone with the portrait filter on and the background blurred. I told DH I'd rather get a quality print of one of my photos to hang on our wall.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

We buy 1 8x10 and if it’s really horrible, we might just wait for the spring pictures. (I think we have those in middle school!) but yes, we have an AWFUL one of each kid and we just try not to say anything. DD in 7th wore the most faded $1 used old navy dress I intended as a swim cover-up. Greasy low-pony, looking pasty and pale and blended into the dress…and posed awkwardly…. We own it!

During Covid, we had to send in a pic, so I just used the portrait setting outside against our house…which is brick all the way around. I love the pics we take with our phones at the beach because it’s such a nice backdrop.

Can you do portrait mode on an iPhone, at the beach, and print at Walgreens or somewhere better? Or just send digitally?

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I don't ever purchase the school picture. It's taken for the year book (all grades K-12 have a yearbook), which I buy. I then just hire a local photographer for a mini shoot (one outfit, 30mins max for both girls combine) and order from them. I've used the same local photog for at least 10yrs. I'd rather spend a bit more money and have pictures that I actually love in locales that are fun.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast