Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Failed IUD insertion

I'm so frustrated and disappointed. Most of you probably have followed my posts about heavy menstrual bleeding and my search for cause and solutions. My attempt at BCP as a treatment was a bust and so I discontinued it a few months back. My last period was AWFUL. I decided to go ahead with trying an IUD again. My appointment was yesterday and I was feeling super excited about my decision, feeling hopeful that a solution was on the horizon, and thrilled at how quickly I was able to get an appointment.

What should have been a 5min procedure ended in a failure. While my cervix appeared open and accessible at one end, it was closed up like a vault in Gringott's Bank at the other. The PA tried using a dilator, or series of them I should say. She said she got the first narrowest one in but not the others. The narrowest one wasn't enough "stretch" to gain the needed access to use the tool to measure my uterus or to implant the IUD. So 15mins of jabbing and ramming around there and a big fat nothing. My option is to schedule another appointment and take misoprostol (vaginally) the night before to help dilate my cervix and try again. So, I scheduled that for next week (first available) with a doc instead of the PA, and picked up the RX. But now I'm questioning the decision and if the universe is sending me a message to not do this.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I’m surprised they didn’t have you take the script to begin with. I have both times prior to insertion. For me, insertion is the worst. Definitely a struggle but worth it in the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

That sucks.
    I never had any meds prescribed. 3 IUDs, nice and easy by my nurse midwife. I read an article once on someone else’s iud experience and thanked my lucky stars that wasn’t how mine was. No ultrasound…
    Can you request the most experienced staff member attempt next?

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I'm sorry that happened to you. They had difficulty with mine all 3 times. This last time they actually had one that "failed to launch" so they had to start over with a new one. ( Fortunately they had one extra in stock just in case). Insertion is by far the worst part of IUD. It's been painful for me, and a little struggle for them. But once the insertion is over, smooth sailing for 5+years. Don't give up on it.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Are there better points in your cycle too when it can be done?

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Are there better points in your cycle too when it can be done?
    I asked that. Theoretically during your period is best, but the PA said it's really a dice roll and not a guarantee then either.

I had no problem with the Mirena insertion a decade ago. Guess my cervix was just shy this time around.

While it was definitely uncomfortable I didn't think it was overly painful, surprisingly. I did get a couple knife stab like cramps a few times over a few hours after the failed attempt, but within say 3hrs that was gone.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

No personal experience, but it sounds like you're set up for success this time around! You'll get a more experienced practitioner and some meds to make things easier. I'm sorry for your continued struggles! I'm sure success is just around the corner! Here's hoping relief comes soon!

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Ah, that sucks! I know lots of women love their IUDs but I've always been scared of them after my cousin's perforated her uterus!

Have you ever tried ginger for heavy periods? In the heavy periods Facebook group I'm in a lot of women are having success with taking ginger capsules and there's medical studies to back up the success rate. I'm trying it this cycle and my period is due any second. Most people take ginger capsules, but for the past 3 weeks I've just eaten a few pieces of TJ's uncrystallized candied ginger after lunch every day. Normally I have a half day that's super heavy, so trying to see if the ginger will completely eliminate any heavy days. If eating ginger doesn't help, I'll try the ginger capsules during my period next cycle.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25298352/

https://www.naturalmedicinejournal.c...trual-bleeding

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

This scares me! After 2 years of super heavy bleeding (literally 3 weeks a month, sometimes soaking a pad through in 2 hours!), I decided I was over this and scheduled an appointment for the Mirena. My appointment is next week.....

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Mom to Brandon and 2 cats View Post
    This scares me! After 2 years of super heavy bleeding (literally 3 weeks a month, sometimes soaking a pad through in 2 hours!), I decided I was over this and scheduled an appointment for the Mirena. My appointment is next week.....
    Don't be scared. Like any procedure, results/pain varies. My doc always recommends taking Motrin before coming in. It's uncomfortable, but the gyns are used to seeing varying reactions.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast