Reader is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default helping a teen be happier being photographed

My teen has been expressing frustration recently that he doesn't photograph well. He doesn't in general have an issue with eye contact but has developed a complex about not taking good pictures...he is the kid whose eyes are closed or who is looking in the opposite direction of the camera. I was wondering if there were photographers who worked with kids with autism that I could ask. It comes up because he is asked to provide pictures for this or that, and "there are no good pictures of me."

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

My kids both struggle with this. I try to reinforce how it feels when they smile naturally. We practice ahead of time for school pictures. I let them wear what they are comfortable in/ want to wear (within dress code) and we practice thinking of things that make them genuinely happy/laugh. So when they hear "smile" their brain triggers the happy memory to get a more natural smile. I also encourage them to practice in the mirror. Sometimes the muscle memory of what it feels like when they like what they look like helps.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

No btdt but if it were my kid, I would mark off a time each week (just 15 min or so) and get outside to take some pics. Practice. Practice him smiling in response to you asking him to,thinking of something funny or pleasant to smile about, him looking in the right direction, etc. Take some pics and let him choose which he likes best. I bet his confidence will grow when he sees some good results.
    K

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KpbS View Post
    No btdt but if it were my kid, I would mark off a time each week (just 15 min or so) and get outside to take some pics. Practice. Practice him smiling in response to you asking him to,thinking of something funny or pleasant to smile about, him looking in the right direction, etc. Take some pics and let him choose which he likes best. I bet his confidence will grow when he sees some good results.
    This is what I'd do too. I'd make sure to make it fun/funny. My kids would respond to taking pictures of ME and trying to make them as unattractive as possible.

Myira is online now Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Honestly I feel not everyone is comfortable posing for a picture, but it’s the photographers skill that can bring out the best expressions. This video has some simple tips https://youtu.be/hrPB6tKnGHI

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    DD 10/2008
    DS 09/2011

Quote Originally Posted by KpbS View Post
    Thanks, that's a good idea. We'll do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Myira View Post
    Honestly I feel not everyone is comfortable posing for a picture, but it’s the photographers skill that can bring out the best expressions. This video has some simple tips https://youtu.be/hrPB6tKnGHI

We're talking about pictures taken by friends and family with iPhones, so maybe I should just find a photographer to work with him.

Myira is online now Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Reader View Post
    We're talking about pictures taken by friends and family with iPhones, so maybe I should just find a photographer to work with him.
    Well, I felt some of those tips would help for pics taken by friends and family. I was able to mention some of her tips like look down take a breath with my kids and it helped reset the fake smile

DD 10/2008
    DS 09/2011

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

In our case a professional photographer would make things worse.... We have BTDT. I PM's you

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Have you taken a look at the senior picture thread? Some of those ideas may help with your teen. Leaning against something. Looking off into the distance (on purpose). Sitting & leaning forward with elbows on knees. All instead of a standard "headshot" style photograph.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)