Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    baymom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Window covering ideas for large windows

We are getting our windows replaced and I’d like to replace the curtains. In particular, I’d love suggestions for two extra long sliding glass doors and the two adjacent floor to ceiling windows. The contractor has put in gorgeous molding, so I’d rather not hide it behind traditional curtains. Are honeycomb blinds or some sort of fabric blinds terribly dated? My neighbor has two panels on her sliding glass door and I need to go over and look at them. Has anyone seen this and how did it look? Basically, the blinds would be installed inside the molding. What other options should I research that I’m not thinking of? If anyone wants to post pictures of their windows where the molding isn’t covered, I’d love to get a visual! Thank you
    Last edited by baymom; 10-15-2021 at 03:00 AM.

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Would you ever want the windows there "open" or would a frosting type thing work for you? Maybe something like this?
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

A lot depends on what you want the window treatments to do. Do you need evening privacy from neighbors who can see in? Or is privacy not a concern? Do you need to block afternoon sun? Daytime sun? There are so many different ways you could go depending on what you need. Also, do you have pets? Toddlers who would play with cords? Will you be opening and closing or having to adjust the treatments daily?
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Thanks Klwa and Gatorsmom! The coverings are primarily for privacy from neighbors. We have a dog and two teens, so not worried about cords. DH suggested tinting the windows with some kind of film, so we could see out but people couldn’t see in, but I can’t imagine doing that to all four— it’s a lot of space and may feel too naked. Also, those rooms *do* get a lot of sun but we don’t mind that. Does that help with any other suggestions?

My inlaws just got something that might be perfect for you. I’m waiting to hear from my FIL what they are called. Essentially they are open on top to let light in and see the sky, but then they drop down into shades below. The shade panels can slip behind each other somehow to give a view or be completely closed (and translucent) to let in light and keep things private. I was so impressed with how versatile they are. If I find them online, or when FIL gets back to me, I’ll post.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

kali is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

I don't think cellular shades look dated. At least I hope not, because we used them throughout the house we bought in 2019. I love them because they have a very clean modern look and they are great for insulation and light filtering. We did top-down bottom-up which allows us to let in tons of light without sacrificing privacy.

For the doors, you could do vertical blinds. The vertical blinds can come in the form of wide fabric panels, which look nicer than traditional slats. And they "tilt" in the same way as horizontal blinds.

I suggest you browse the Hunter Douglas website. They have some lovely options. Not cheap though.

Ok, FIL just told me that they got Top Down, Bottom Up zebra shades. They have a wood slat look rather than white vinyl. They look good and seem easy to use. This video shows how the zebra blinds work. https://youtu.be/XQ4ABjkK4V4

This works well for IL’s windows because they have 8 tall narrow windows that face their neighbors house in a room off their kitchen. If you have wide windows or the windows are a focal point of your home, I think I’d want the treatments to showcase your room more, something decorative to draw your eye. Also, I’m not sure how these would work on sliding glass doors.

Quote Originally Posted by kali View Post
    I don't think cellular shades look dated. At least I hope not, because we used them throughout the house we bought in 2019. I love them because they have a very clean modern look and they are great for insulation and light filtering. We did top-down bottom-up which allows us to let in tons of light without sacrificing privacy.

For the doors, you could do vertical blinds. The vertical blinds can come in the form of wide fabric panels, which look nicer than traditional slats. And they "tilt" in the same way as horizontal blinds.

I suggest you browse the Hunter Douglas website. They have some lovely options. Not cheap though.
    Good to hear! Our house isn’t well insulated (hopefully the new windows will help!) so it’s nice to hear your cellular shades have helped with that. We used to have vertical blinds on the sliding glass doors that looked awful but it was a while back. I’ll look into the newer options that might be out now.

The video was super helpful to get an idea of what it would look like— thanks for asking your FIL! Lots for us to think about!

essnce629 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by baymom View Post
    The video was super helpful to get an idea of what it would look like— thanks for asking your FIL! Lots for us to think about!
    I have Chicology brand Zebra shades in my living/dining room and kitchen and although I really like the look I'm not happy with the durability and ease of use. Mine are 3 years old and I have them on 4 windows. 3 out of the 4 don't roll up easily and sometimes it's just easier to grab the sides to help them roll up. Oddly, the ones on my largest window roll up perfectly. Also, because sometimes they don't roll up right the edges get caught up and now several of the edges are frayed and messy looking. They get excellent reviews, which is why I bought them, but I'm sure most people write reviews when they first buy them and not 2 years later after daily use. Maybe a more expensive brand is more durable?

I've decided to put day/night cellular shades in the rest of the house. We already have them on several windows and doors and like them. They are light filtering for day and blackout for night. I also like the blackout for blocking out the sun and heat during certain parts of the day.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast