daisy13 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default Recommend your N95 or other mask for travel

We ( DH+ Me+ 2 kids who aren't vaccinated yet) are planning to travel from SFO to Toronto over thanksgiving to meet my sister and my family.
    Please recommend masks you have used for travel for both kids and us- N85 or others. With links would be great if possible.

TIA

Quote Originally Posted by daisy13 View Post
    We ( DH+ Me+ 2 kids who aren't vaccinated yet) are planning to travel from SFO to Toronto over thanksgiving to meet my sister and my family.
    Please recommend masks you have used for travel for both kids and us- N85 or others. With links would be great if possible.

TIA
    https://bonafidemasks.com/face-masks...eatured&page=2

the small size fit my 10/11 year old great.
    13 and 15 year old wear the normal adult size ones.

for my 5/6 and 8 year old they were these

https://www.amazon.com/20Packs-KIDS-...s%2C197&sr=8-5

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I agree with the above recommendation for the Powecom masks. They're great KN95s. The adult sized ones fit my 13yos well, as well as me (small adult face) and DH (large adult face). They take up very little room in terms of packing, and they reuse really well (we let sit for a week and then re-use).

I also recommend mask lanyards - there are a TON of options on amazon and the ones we bought aren't available anymore but I prefer the ones with plastic (vs metal) hook attachments, as they are lighter in weight. The lanyards with an adjustment toggle double as ear savers...for sore ears pull the toggle to the crown of the head and tighten it there to pull the mask straps off of the back of the ears. Both DH and I did this with our Powecom masks - they are very comfortable but we are all glasses wearers and it was just a lot to be on the backs of our ears for hours at a time. The toggle trick provided much-needed relief while sitting for hours on the plane. The lanyards make it easy to take off masks to eat - we would just find a spot at an empty gate at the airport. We told the kids to flip the masks to their backs while eating, that way the masks stay clean from dropped food. And makes it easy to take off masks whenever you can (eg outdoors) without having to worry about stuffing into a pocket or bag.

NCGrandma is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    I agree with the above recommendation for the Powecom masks. They're great KN95s. The adult sized ones fit my 13yos well, as well as me (small adult face) and DH (large adult face). They take up very little room in terms of packing, and they reuse really well (we let sit for a week and then re-use).

I also recommend mask lanyards - there are a TON of options on amazon and the ones we bought aren't available anymore but I prefer the ones with plastic (vs metal) hook attachments, as they are lighter in weight. The lanyards with an adjustment toggle double as ear savers...for sore ears pull the toggle to the crown of the head and tighten it there to pull the mask straps off of the back of the ears. Both DH and I did this with our Powecom masks - they are very comfortable but we are all glasses wearers and it was just a lot to be on the backs of our ears for hours at a time. The toggle trick provided much-needed relief while sitting for hours on the plane. The lanyards make it easy to take off masks to eat - we would just find a spot at an empty gate at the airport. We told the kids to flip the masks to their backs while eating, that way the masks stay clean from dropped food. And makes it easy to take off masks whenever you can (eg outdoors) without having to worry about stuffing into a pocket or bag.
    I also recommended the Powecom masks from Bona Fide Masks in a previous thread. I use the ear loop style (and haven’t tried using a lanyard with them, although I wear glasses). My friend prefers the headband style, since he wears both glasses and hearing aids.

One suggestion: if you want these for a T'giving trip, go ahead and order now. My previous orders took maybe 3 days via US Mail from Mt Vernon, NY to NC. The latest order finally arrived today after a full week. That’s still not awful, but with the holiday travel season coming up, don’t wait too long.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post

this is a great idea. We have mask lanyards already that we use for school- but never thought of using them as ear savers! thank you for the tips

Quote Originally Posted by frugalmom View Post
    https://bonafidemasks.com/face-masks...eatured&page=2

the small size fit my 10/11 year old great.
    13 and 15 year old wear the normal adult size ones.

for my 5/6 and 8 year old they were these

https://www.amazon.com/20Packs-KIDS-...s%2C197&sr=8-5
    thank you! will check both out

Quote Originally Posted by NCGrandma View Post
    I also recommended the Powecom masks from Bona Fide Masks in a previous thread. I use the ear loop style (and haven’t tried using a lanyard with them, although I wear glasses). My friend prefers the headband style, since he wears both glasses and hearing aids.

One suggestion: if you want these for a T'giving trip, go ahead and order now. My previous orders took maybe 3 days via US Mail from Mt Vernon, NY to NC. The latest order finally arrived today after a full week. That’s still not awful, but with the holiday travel season coming up, don’t wait too long.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains
    thanks - that makes sense to order now. Will do it today- thanks for the kick in the b*** I am known to keep researching and pushing things out..

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

This is so interesting. Powecom don't fit us well at all. At least I didn't think so when I tried; maybe I should try again. All 3 of us wear Bluna linked by frugalmom; 15 year old ds and I wear regular/adult and dd who is 18 but has a very small face wears the child/small size.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We like the Powecom.
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
    This is so interesting. Powecom don't fit us well at all. At least I didn't think so when I tried; maybe I should try again. All 3 of us wear Bluna linked by frugalmom; 15 year old ds and I wear regular/adult and dd who is 18 but has a very small face wears the child/small size.
    The Powecom don’t fit me either, but I gave the ones I had to my mom and she loves them. The size medium KF94’s fit me best as I am in between kids and standard adult masks sizes. Dr. Puri is the most comfortable of the ones I have tried.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17