Default Hormone replacement therapy or BC pill for perimenopause - experiences?

I went to my PCP today with a long list of complaints, all of which she said could be attributed to perimenopause (which was confirmation of what I had suspected). I asked about HRT and she suggested I start on a low dose BC pill, so that's what I am doing. I have a follow-up appointment with her in 3 months so if it doesn't work as well as I'm hoping, I can move to a higher dose.

Who else has gone down this road? What did you go on and was it helpful for you?

Also, do you take the pill all month or do you take a week off? She said I could do either so I opted for the full month but she told me to take a week off every 3 months.
    DS 2008
    DD 2010
    DS 2014

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Are you having hot flashes? I don't know if BC works on those, I was done with a period at 47 and went on low dose combo of generic Estradial and Progesterone (this is what is in Prempro but it's a fraction of the cost), it took care of the hot flashes very quickly. I didn't need to worry about getting pregnant as I had not had a period in quite awhile.

If you are going to go continuous I don't see the benefit of interrupting the cycle every three months and having a period, it will likely mess with things. I know quite a few who do this and there doesn't seem to be a reason to 'get' a period every so often if using that method.

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I didn’t want to use HRT for rather silly reasons so I went with Celexa (lexapro is another option) for my night sweats and hot flashes. It is amazing. No night sweats and maybe a hot flash on the mornings I’m up at 4am. And that’s basically it. It also takes the sharp edge off my irritability. Don’t get me wrong, I’m still irritable (I have a high baseline irritability level) but I’m not plotting murder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ellies mom View Post
    I didn’t want to use HRT for rather silly reasons so I went with Celexa (lexapro is another option) for my night sweats and hot flashes. It is amazing. No night sweats and maybe a hot flash on the mornings I’m up at 4am. And that’s basically it. It also takes the sharp edge off my irritability. Don’t get me wrong, I’m still irritable (I have a high baseline irritability level) but I’m not plotting murder.

I’m also on Celexa for perimenopause symptoms. It’s also helped with my irritability. I’ve also noticed I sleep a ton better and my hot flashes aren’t as bad. It’s really been great for me. I still have symptoms but I can tolerate them most days.

ezcc is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

My dr did not seem confident bc would do much for my symptoms besides making my periods lighter so I didn't try it when I asked her about it. I do find that black cohosh and evening primrose make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    Are you having hot flashes? I don't know if BC works on those, I was done with a period at 47 and went on low dose combo of generic Estradial and Progesterone (this is what is in Prempro but it's a fraction of the cost), it took care of the hot flashes very quickly. I didn't need to worry about getting pregnant as I had not had a period in quite awhile.

If you are going to go continuous I don't see the benefit of interrupting the cycle every three months and having a period, it will likely mess with things. I know quite a few who do this and there doesn't seem to be a reason to 'get' a period every so often if using that method.
    I am not having hot flashes, at least yet. My mom had them so I imagine I will as well. Did the pill help with other symptoms you were having?
    DS 2008
    DD 2010
    DS 2014

Quote Originally Posted by ellies mom View Post

Quote Originally Posted by MSWR0319 View Post
    I’m also on Celexa for perimenopause symptoms. It’s also helped with my irritability. I’ve also noticed I sleep a ton better and my hot flashes aren’t as bad. It’s really been great for me. I still have symptoms but I can tolerate them most days.

This is interesting and I will keep Celexa in mind if the BC pill doesn't help. Irritability is definitely something I am struggling with and there are days that I feel like plotting murder. LOL! Thanks for this idea!
    DS 2008
    DD 2010
    DS 2014