Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Anyone watch Maid on Netflix?

I got sucked into that! Thought it was so, so good. Anyone else watch it? Thoughts?

Smillow is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I watched the first few episodes a few weeks ago. I agree very, very good, but I needed to take a break, it was so heavy. I think everyone who makes decisions about our society’s safety nets should watch it!
    DS 2/09

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Yes! I have one episode to go. And I just listened to author on Fresh Air. It was recorded before she got Netflix deal. I didn’t realize until listening to her interview that it is based on her memoir so mostly a true story.

Quote Originally Posted by Smillow View Post
    I watched the first few episodes a few weeks ago. I agree very, very good, but I needed to take a break, it was so heavy. I think everyone who makes decisions about our society’s safety nets should watch it!
    That was my mom’s and my take away- if you have no idea what is entailed with social services and just want to b*tch about handouts, watch this. I doubt some minds can be changed but at least maybe a bot of enlightenment and empathy.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I binged the whole season. I thought it was done very well. It saddens me to know so many women and children are in similar circumstances due to no fault of their own. The exploitation they face at every turn was eye opening. I made a donation to my local domestic violence shelter after I watched and will remember to continue offering support.

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I thought it was really well done. As someone who treated kids with Medicaid for a long time, I kind of bristled at the way the doctor talked to her.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

jerigirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I've watched about half now. Sooo good. Very eye opening.
    jeri
    DS 6/10/06
    DS2 9/1/10

Quote Originally Posted by smilequeen View Post
    I thought it was really well done. As someone who treated kids with Medicaid for a long time, I kind of bristled at the way the doctor talked to her.
    That was so upsetting. When people are in the position to be able to offer even just a referral or helpful suggestion, they should. If they can’t, then at least don’t be an a-hole.

Quote Originally Posted by jgenie View Post
    I binged the whole season. I thought it was done very well. It saddens me to know so many women and children are in similar circumstances due to no fault of their own. The exploitation they face at every turn was eye opening. I made a donation to my local domestic violence shelter after I watched and will remember to continue offering support.
    On my to do list!

I just finished it. I was inspired by her resilience, despite the depth of her challenges. The acting was tremendous.

I’m also going to look into making a donation to a dv shelter. That whole aspect of it was really eye opening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast