Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default PSA: Influenza season has begun in the Midwest

Took DS in for what I though was asthma turned into bronchitis. Turns out it’s influenza b. The doctor said this was the first case she’d seen but she called another doctor and they had also seen a few cases of B. DS was vaccinated a month ago, so she’s thinking the vaccines may not be a good match for this strain. Stay healthy!!

Myira is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Thanks for the PSA, and I hope your DS feels better!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    DD 10/2008
    DS 09/2011

Thanks for the heads up. I need to get in for our flu vaccines, hoping they will at least minimize our symptoms if we get it. I've also heard that our societal immunity could be lower than normal since we didn't have much last year.

Hope your DS feels better soon!
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default PSA: Influenza season has begun in the Midwest

Ds2 was in for an injury in the middle of of September and I was surprised his dr didn’t offer the flu shot. We always get it at his annual check up later in the fall. I guess we should have asked. I really thought he’d get it that day. I figured they didn’t have the vax in yet?

Dh got his flu vaccine early October
    Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Yep, it's here in the South, too. My friend's DS was diagnosed 2 weeks ago -- he'd also already had the flu shot at that point. Our whole family always gets them, but we've just been very busy and I hadn't gotten around to it yet. Once I heard about my friend's DS though, I had us all lined up at the pharmacy that week!
    Lizi

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I know about 3 confirmed cases already.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'm sorry he's sick. Did he run a fever? Aches and pains?

We've all had our shots. Hope we can avoid it.
    K

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KpbS View Post
    I'm sorry he's sick. Did he run a fever? Aches and pains?

We've all had our shots. Hope we can avoid it.
    He’s pretty sick. He had a fever yesterday morning of 101. He told me later that he thought he had a fever before that but didn’t tell me because he was afraid he’s have to go to the hospital. He also said his arms were achy. But his biggest issue was his lungs. He is winded just going up steps. His oxygen has been hovering between 93 and 98 after breathing treatments. He does have asthma which has been controlled for years. We thought it was just a bad asthma flare after a soccer game on Sat because he said his lungs burned and he was very winded. We had to get him a nebulizer because he coughs so much he can’t inhale the meds from his inhaler without coughing it back out or getting it deep enough in his lungs.

So far the rest of us are ok. We got our shots 5 days before him, but he’s been vaccinated since Sept 25 so the doctor said he should have been covered since it had been past two weeks.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MSWR0319 View Post
    He’s pretty sick. He had a fever yesterday morning of 101. He told me later that he thought he had a fever before that but didn’t tell me because he was afraid he’s have to go to the hospital. He also said his arms were achy. But his biggest issue was his lungs. He is winded just going up steps. His oxygen has been hovering between 93 and 98 after breathing treatments. He does have asthma which has been controlled for years. We thought it was just a bad asthma flare after a soccer game on Sat because he said his lungs burned and he was very winded. We had to get him a nebulizer because he coughs so much he can’t inhale the meds from his inhaler without coughing it back out or getting it deep enough in his lungs.

So far the rest of us are ok. We got our shots 5 days before him, but he’s been vaccinated since Sept 25 so the doctor said he should have been covered since it had been past two weeks.
    Poor kid. I hope he starts feeling better soon.

DDs and I got our flu vax in late September. Several local people/family commented that they thought we got it too soon since here in NY flu peaks in Feb/Mar, but I said nope, flu will probably hit every region sooner than usual given no flu last year and back to normal behaviors this year.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Thank you for posting this. It wasn’t even on my radar. But it should be. The temp is dropping here and people will no doubt be gathering inside soon.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast